NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/8/17 9:14 p.m.

Buying a section of pre-made brake line, you need to find a metric thread and a standard double flare? Is that even a thing? Far as I know all metric threaded fittings are on a bubble flared line.

The 3/8 standard threaded brake line fitting with a double flare on the tube will actually screw in but is a sloppy fit.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/17 9:33 p.m.

It's quite common, basically normal brake lines for Japanese and a lot of newer American cars. My local NAPA has it in a bunch of lengths. I think the bubble flare is a Euro thing.

Miata uses a 10x1.0 fitting, basically the smallest of the sizes you'll find.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/8/17 9:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It's quite common, basically normal brake lines for Japanese and a lot of newer American cars. My local NAPA has it in a bunch of lengths. I think the bubble flare is a Euro thing. Miata uses a 10x1.0 fitting, basically the smallest of the sizes you'll find.

I know what the factory uses, but all they sell around here 3/8" fine and the scary thing is that they will screw into the metric thread on the flex line just fine if a bit sloppy. Maybe cause Canada; still trying to get this metric thing figured after 40 years.

shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot Reader
3/8/17 10:45 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I did this as a repair on the street in NYC. One side of the car on a curb was enough to get access to repair. There was no way I was going to pay some dirty shop or the $400 AAA wanted to tow the car back to Boston.

1)go and buy the section of line terminated with metric bubble flares

2)also buy a 3/16 - 3/8-24 brake nut from the hardware section or another line with that nut

3)cut off one of the bubble flares on the metric line and terminate with the double flaring tool from autozone that looks like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-24364?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google--shopping--srese1-_-oem-specialty-tools&gclid=CIOBx8PLyNICFdGFswod1RUAcg (do not buy the other universal flaring tool at autozone not matter how tempting, total POS).

Keith Tanner
3/9/17 8:17 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: It's quite common, basically normal brake lines for Japanese and a lot of newer American cars. My local NAPA has it in a bunch of lengths. I think the bubble flare is a Euro thing. Miata uses a 10x1.0 fitting, basically the smallest of the sizes you'll find.
I know what the factory uses, but all they sell around here 3/8" fine and the scary thing is that they will screw into the metric thread on the flex line just fine if a bit sloppy. Maybe cause Canada; still trying to get this metric thing figured after 40 years.

I have a very hard time believing it's not available at NAPA or Canadian Tire.

Looking on https://www.napacanada.com/, it appears that Belkamp 8131272 is a 20" piece of 3/16" brake line with an inverted flare and a 10x1 fitting. i.e., it's a Miata line.

There's also a 30" version (8131273), a 40" version (8131274) and I'm sure more. Noticing a pattern in the part numbers here, this reveals that 8131270 is 8", 8131271 is 12", etc.

IIRC you're in London. The Exeter St store has most of them in stock.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/9/17 10:50 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
NOHOME wrote:
I have a very hard time believing it's not available at NAPA or Canadian Tire. Looking on https://www.napacanada.com/, it appears that Belkamp 8131272 is a 20" piece of 3/16" brake line with an inverted flare and a 10x1 fitting. i.e., it's a Miata line. There's also a 30" version (8131273), a 40" version (8131274) and I'm sure more. Noticing a pattern in the part numbers here, this reveals that 8131270 is 8", 8131271 is 12", etc. IIRC you're in London. The Exeter St store has most of them in stock.

Ended up cheating...bought a roll of NiCop tube and harvested the fittings from the original Miata lines. Standard double flare and hope to be good to go.

This would be the first brake line I have done for a Japanese car; funny how nobody can agree on a standard for something as simple as a brake line.

Keith Tanner
3/9/17 10:54 a.m.

Yeah, there are like four variations used over millions of cars and a half century. We need better standards

devina
devina Reader
7/6/18 9:48 a.m.

Bringing this back up....working on brake lines for my Miata based Locost and will be making my own hardlines for the frame.  Trying to connect into the original rear flex lines and see these are an M10x1.0 thread.  Is the flare a 45 degree double flare or is this something different??

Keith Tanner
7/6/18 10:04 a.m.

It's very non-exotic. Totally normal 45* double flare. Used on a whole lot of cars.

If you're going to be making your own flex lines as well, you may want to put an SAE fitting on the hard lines. It's easier to find SAE to AN fittings because this metric thing is new and may not catch on. Same size line, same flare type, just put an SAE nut on instead of the metric one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B7zOjhgaT6fqHFAPQz4YuZU5oz2Wyjol6mD6LnL9J79lgVB2ipxyxmuGHN8hOC1H