1 2 3 4 5
HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
11/29/10 9:27 p.m.
driver109x wrote: but replace Wood with a car chick.

I personally do not like the car chick idea. While I "get it", I feel TG(UK) is about 3 guys ripping on each other, just like 3 real car friends would do while talking about cars in their garage, and dreaming of their next build.

I'm not saying there are not chicks like that out there (something along the lines of rule 34), but its extremely rare.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/29/10 9:35 p.m.

I'd like to see the cast replaced with this group. The chemistry and laughs would be much better.

bye bye Tanner. Hello

bye bye Adam and Wood, Hello.

GreenFlag
GreenFlag None
11/29/10 9:45 p.m.
Kiponator wrote: I will say my main issue with those 2 guys is that there is NO WAY they are driving the cars when they are cutting back and forth from exterior and interior shots. I doubt Hammond, May and Clarkson are always driving for their segments either -- but at least the illusion doesn't strain common sense to the point that it is completely shattered.

Having seen the boys from TGUK in action here stateside, they actually are pretty good behind the wheel. Can't go into details until the show airs, but they were keeping a pretty brisk pace around VIR Full with only a few orientation laps before they started. Several VIR 'regulars' had a hard time catching them.

And, yes, Jezza really does drift around every turn he takes.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
11/29/10 10:17 p.m.

Tease!

dj
dj New Reader
11/29/10 10:47 p.m.

I'd like to see this as a real american car show instead of another top gear rip off. I didn't want to talk E36 M3 about it before watching but just by the first episode I'd say this is garbage. They shouldn't have gone with the same name, same skits, and even the exact same words. Just watch Australia Top Gear to see how bad this idea is. It'd actually be a great show if they got more American rally drivers as hosts and got Ken Block on there to think up some new ideas for hooliganry instead of trying to remake old episodes of Top Gear. Make a new idea, give it a new name (like top gear did for fifth gear) and more people would watch.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/29/10 10:52 p.m.
dj wrote: I'd like to see this as a real american car show instead of another top gear rip off. I didn't want to talk E36 M3 about it before watching but just by the first episode I'd say this is garbage. They shouldn't have gone with the same name, same skits, and even the exact same words. Just watch Australia Top Gear to see how bad this idea is. It'd actually be a great show if they got more American rally drivers as hosts and got Ken Block on there to think up some new ideas for hooliganry instead of trying to remake old episodes of Top Gear. Make a new idea, give it a new name (like top gear did for fifth gear) and more people would watch.

Call it "Automatic Transmission"

Because that's where this country is seemingly headed anyhow.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
11/29/10 10:56 p.m.

I watched it this week and enjoyed the show, sucks that our version is 15-20 minutes short for commercials but I'm just spoiled by TGUK.

Anybody else notice how the lancer kept running into road blocks where that rarely happens on the other show? And how the sound clip didn't always match the scene?

Next week Im going to watch brew masters, I don't have a DVR at school and history repeats shows like its their job.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/29/10 11:04 p.m.
dj wrote: I'd like to see this as a real american car show instead of another top gear rip off.

Well Duh, it's called Top Gear!

It's not a rip off of TG UK, it's from and by the same people and was meant to be another TG. There are multiple CSIs and several other shows. They take the same, successful formula, place it in different settings and people watch multiple series. It's a way to multiply your audience and produce more shows than if you had just one series. It also makes you more $$$.

If you want to start a different American car show then by all means do so. I for one would watch it, but expect the same harsh comments that TG is getting and don't get your feelings hurt when some people don't like it and want to tell you how to make it better.

I'm sure they'll begin to morph this into something unique as the hosts develop and as they find bits that get good reviews from the audience. There will be inside jokes and all sorts of funnies that develop over time. But for now they have to begin somewhere and that somewhere is a TG UK formula.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
11/29/10 11:09 p.m.

Better than the first episode, but I still don't understand the casting... Will Tanner get a voice coach? Will Ferrara (the comedian) ever get any remotely funny lines? Will Rutledge please get replaced?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/30/10 6:58 a.m.

The casting is boring. And i'm not entirely sure i understood the point of driving Aston Martins solely on dirt through the review segment.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
11/30/10 7:13 a.m.

There has always been only one team that could pull off the TG USA show with the degree of , witt and irreverence that it requires. Only one person to lead the team who can match Jeremy's inner spoiled child behavior and bon-mots projectiles.

Other than the fact that they seem secure in their day-jobs, these are THE host for TG USA.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
11/30/10 9:28 a.m.

I'll feel qualified to comment when I watch it from DVR...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
11/30/10 10:43 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I smiled and laughed all the way through it. After all tha hate for this and gt5 I'm beginning to think the only thing ya'll do like is miatas and bacon.

and many use a 6 point harness while being in front of their computers

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
11/30/10 10:50 a.m.

I actually laughed. The drifting segment is showing improvement...

todd900ss
todd900ss New Reader
11/30/10 11:03 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
todd900ss wrote: Ok so far, I'll give it some more time. Def no TGUK today, but it was also new at one time & sucked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukFXf9FwDaM
wtf....that doesn't suck at all. Yeah, his hair and clothes suck. And the intro is a bit lame and drawn-out. But the actual segment is awesome and even back then the lines were witty funny, not lame sitcom jokes. "it's not heavy, it's my clutch" and by they way, even back in 1991 the in-car camera is virtually vibration-free.....

Ok. It was not that bad, it's a car show afterall. My point is/was that it's hard to compare TGUK today with TGUS two episodes in. Give it time & see what happens. I think Jay Leno should be one of the hosts.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/30/10 11:06 a.m.

While Jay or Adam Carolla might get you an immediate audience of curiosity seekers I don't believe the show would last. They don't have the personalities that allow them to play well with others.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/30/10 11:44 a.m.
Nitroracer wrote: Anybody else notice how the lancer kept running into road blocks where that rarely happens on the other show? And how the sound clip didn't always match the scene?

Autoweek Online just posted an op-ed where he caught something I had missed:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101130/CARNEWS/101139997 said: The History Channel can't lavish the resources on "TGUSA" that the BBC does on the original, but it could at least get the basics right. After racing two skiers down a snowy slope in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X in episode two, the car from which Foust hurriedly exits is dry and shiny. Continuity?

Doh!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/30/10 12:03 p.m.
After racing two skiers down a snowy slope in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X in episode two, the car from which Foust hurriedly exits is dry and shiny. Continuity?

Yeah, I noticed that...it looked like it had just been detailed.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
11/30/10 1:43 p.m.

other than not having the grille packed with snow, i wouldn't expecty the car to be filthy. he was driving on snow, not a muddy rally course

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/30/10 1:50 p.m.

Prior to driving down the snow covered hill he was driving up a bunch of dirty, muddy roads - earlier in the segment the car was filthy, then the filth was covered with snow all the way to the roof, then he pulled into the parking lot in a perfectly clean car.

dj
dj New Reader
11/30/10 2:00 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
dj wrote: I'd like to see this as a real american car show instead of another top gear rip off.
Well Duh, it's called Top Gear! It's not a rip off of TG UK, it's from and by the same people and was meant to be another TG. There are multiple CSIs and several other shows. They take the same, successful formula, place it in different settings and people watch multiple series. It's a way to multiply your audience and produce more shows than if you had just one series. It also makes you more $$$. If you want to start a different American car show then by all means do so. I for one would watch it, but expect the same harsh comments that TG is getting and don't get your feelings hurt when some people don't like it and want to tell you how to make it better. I'm sure they'll begin to morph this into something unique as the hosts develop and as they find bits that get good reviews from the audience. There will be inside jokes and all sorts of funnies that develop over time. But for now they have to begin somewhere and that somewhere is a TG UK formula.

There can be only one. Top Gear didn't multiply the audience of Fifth Gear by calling themselves Fifth Gear Clarkson and making a dull remake of a car review show, literally stealing lines from Tiff, ripping off old music used from previous episodes, using no new writing by just plugging more easily available cars into old skits, and re-shooting old episodes of fifth gear with new hosts: they took a fresh twist on the original idea and had amazing success. This isn't going to multiply the audience of Top Gear (which is amazingly popular all around the world), it's going to attract a much smaller segment temporarily until it's cancelled or they come up with something new. Again, watch any other Top Gear remake (Australia, Russia, America) because no one else is and they're terrible.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/30/10 2:14 p.m.
GreenFlag wrote:
Kiponator wrote: I will say my main issue with those 2 guys is that there is NO WAY they are driving the cars when they are cutting back and forth from exterior and interior shots. I doubt Hammond, May and Clarkson are always driving for their segments either -- but at least the illusion doesn't strain common sense to the point that it is completely shattered.
Having seen the boys from TGUK in action here stateside, they actually are pretty good behind the wheel. Can't go into details until the show airs, but they were keeping a pretty brisk pace around VIR Full with only a few orientation laps before they started. Several VIR 'regulars' had a hard time catching them. And, yes, Jezza really does drift around every turn he takes.

tease. and VIR is pretty much the closest track to me, maybe a few miles closer than Summit Point. at least tell us when the episode is supposed to air

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Reader
11/30/10 2:17 p.m.

Ripoff, unoriginal, copy cat - blah blah blah.

Top Gear is a FRANCHISE. Just like every Subway, MCDonald's, WalMart, Costco, etc look the same inside. Do you guys go on the interwebs and bitch about how each sammich shop looks the same? It is the same because the BBC owns all the rights and that's the way the BBC wants it. You guys really need to get over that.

Unless you can convince the HOLY TRINITY to come stateside and host this show too, you're stuck with Americans hosting it.

What's not hilarious about Blind Drifting anyway????

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/30/10 4:04 p.m.

In reply to CGLockRacer:

If I compare the show to TGUK, I am disappointed. If I avoid a direct comparison, it is acceptable with the potential to be good.

One thing that would hook me is if they took the TGUK formula of crappy second hand car challenges and modified it to suit the US market more a bit. I want to see:

1. winter beaters (can your heater core cook an egg?)

2. Lemons racing

3. best 1970s land whale car with which to help move your single friend (least number of trips, best gas mileage, etc)

4. buy a 20 year old sports car, tune it for horsepower and keep it California emissions legal with laps of Buttonwillow by the Stig to determine the winner

5. You get the idea. Stuff like that.

(edit- formatting. what is happening to my numbers?)

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
11/30/10 4:27 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: (edit- formatting. what is happening to my numbers?)

If you want a single spaced list, add two spaces before each carriage return (enter)

I like the new show...it is better than anything on SPEED

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FdJeI8F7IrgKKDthF9k71WoAREZXCMCq9BQge1jB3jy2yUnbDxBQzsIQjrlVQ8y5