1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/11 7:25 a.m.
RossD wrote:
mad_machine wrote: That explains why Saab used it?
Saab used the Ford V4 Taunus engine. Maybe they used more parts than just the engine...like suspension components and wheels... Just a thought...

That is what I am thinking.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
6/15/11 9:20 a.m.

There generally is a difference in offset between FWD andRWD cars. the FWD's having more positive offset, aka; back spacing...

procainestart
procainestart Dork
6/15/11 11:01 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
procainestart wrote: Saab 900, 88-93 (+94 convt.) and all Saab 9000s. Offsets are about 30-40mm. Hubs are *very* slightly larger than a Focus.
Does that mean that focus wheels would fit a SAAB c900 with minor machining? That would be awsome!

My understanding is that you can bore out Focus rim centerbores (63.3mm) to the Saab bore diameter (65.1mm) with careful use of an abrasive flapper wheel. I haven't done this (and probably wouldn't), but have read about others doing it successfully, and, hey, this is GRM, right? (The engine machine shop I go to told me they don't have the equipment to do rims, so you might have to find someone with the right equipment if you opt to have a set actually drilled out.)

Also, you'd want to confirm this, but Focus rims use a 12mm lug, while Saab used 14mm, so I guess you'd need address that, too. OTOH, aftermarket rims may come with large enough lug holes??

Another source for FWD-offset 4x108 rims is www.focaljet.com (Ford Focus forum).

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
6/15/11 11:23 a.m.

You can add Hyundai Pony and Stellar to the list. They are rwd but the offset is more like a fwd wheel.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
6/15/11 7:33 p.m.

I found a set of cougar wheels for my focus that looked similar to a popular aftermarket wheel if you squinted.

Also toyed with the idea of fox body wheels but never took the plunge. Depending on the brakes and tires you run, they do fit. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220541&highlight=mustang+wheel

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
7/13/15 1:28 p.m.

All things lead back to GRM. I googled 4x108 wheels (new Fiesta with lowly steels) and this was like the 6th link down on the first page. This happens at least half the time I google anything even remotely obscure in relation to cars. Thanks gang for making GRM the headquarters for all things wheeled and all without paying Google anything (at least in reference to threads).

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/13/15 2:09 p.m.

I've found that I've been researching the same stuff for the past ten years and I usually find my own threads with my own information. Circular referencing! Even google images throws some of my own pictures back at me.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
7/13/15 5:19 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: I googled 4x108 wheels (new Fiesta with lowly steels)

NMNA Set of 4 Fiesta ST wheels for $500 You can also check on FocalJet.com

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
7/13/15 9:36 p.m.

Interesting. However, I would rather have a couple of the options on Tire rack for not much more money. I am not really in the market yet. I need to get through this winter at the very least.

Dave
Dave New Reader
7/14/15 9:24 a.m.

Austin A40 Devon/Dorset/Somerset are 4x108mm.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
7/14/15 9:50 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: All things lead back to GRM. I googled 4x108 wheels (new Fiesta with lowly steels) and this was like the 6th link down on the first page. This happens at least half the time I google anything even remotely obscure in relation to cars. Thanks gang for making GRM the headquarters for all things wheeled and all without paying Google anything (at least in reference to threads).

Remotely obscure? 4x108 is one of the most common PCDs out there even on FWD. Over here everyone assume 4x100 due to the Japanese, but in Europe 4x100 is seen as the oddity as 4x108 is so common.

Many Alfa's
Most 4 lug Audi's
Most 4 lug FWD and RWD Ford's
Many VW's
Peugeot
Saab
Volvo
Citroen
Some Lancia
Renault
etc etc

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
7/14/15 12:39 p.m.

In the world of American automotive bolt patterns, 4x108 isn't too high on the list. I just mean anything past the what the fan bois are researching shows up here.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tFrSCEIn1i7Q6zjNd29XNm9cph7bgVzlyA4wAXFAY7s1V2Ih6fnuJIalvVJX1KXl