carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
2/17/12 9:15 p.m.

So we have what car threads every day, and I have been guilty of a few, but now for a different question. . . . . What Seat?

What seat will get you the lowest in a miata? i know that not all race seats are created equal, so which one(s) will allow for the lowest mounting/seat height?

Keith, do you have any recommendations? It would be a DD, with track use occasionally, if that matters

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
2/17/12 9:59 p.m.

Seat selection should coincide with harness selection. Are you running oem seat belts or a race harness? Do you have a roll bar?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 10:03 p.m.

The way to get low in a Miata is to modify the seat mounts. In the Targa car, my seats are bolted straight to the floor. They're modified Corbeau FX1 Pros, which don't fit a Miata with an interior so much.

Seats are a bit like shoes - you need to find one that fits you. A lot of our customers seem to like the Sparco Speed, though.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 10:33 p.m.

What parts of the interior do the FX1 Pros not fit?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 11:25 p.m.

The "wings" hit the door pads. Even on my car with no door panels, I had to dent the top of the inner door to make them fit.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
2/17/12 11:43 p.m.

Do Recaro Profi's fit in a Miata? That would probably be my pick for a DD. Actually, that is what I am going to go with if it fits in a few years.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
2/18/12 1:35 a.m.

Just from looking at a picture, I doubt it. Like Keith said, the issue is usually the shoulder bolsters on any seats I've ever fit in a Miata.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/12 4:21 a.m.

I've spent more time trying to get seats in Miatas than I have driving them. Low, wide and far back is not easy.

The easiest solution to get low is to get one of these brackets and add an aluminum race seat like the Ultrashield Spec Miata for the track, then swap back to the stock seat for DD use.

I've also made my own brackets, but these are easily worth the hundred bucks.

FYI a 17 inch Ultrashield will not fit with a Hard Dog cage.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0555.html?mv_source=News1

Woody
2/18/12 4:26 a.m.

Or, you can remove these:

Photobucket

Woody
2/18/12 4:34 a.m.

If you're skinny, you may want to try a set of these from Windsor Customs. They're not listed on their website, but just contact them and they'll make you a set.

http://windsorcustoms.com/index.htm

Photobucket

Woody
2/18/12 4:35 a.m.

If you're skinny and rich, get a Memory Fab.

Photobucket

Woody
2/18/12 4:41 a.m.

This worked for me, but it was a lot of work and I'm not sure if it's still available.

Cobra Monaco S bottom mount seat on custom made fixed rails.

Photobucket

carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
2/18/12 4:25 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I should have mentioned that i am 6'-4", so that is the major factor for the question. I know I'm never going to be super comfortable, but the more room the better.

Woody
2/18/12 9:43 p.m.

I think your only choice is an aluminum seat.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
2/18/12 9:45 p.m.

Interested in this also topic myself. Daughter and I are setting up the Miata for track. Since we are sharing the car and I'm 5'11" and she's 5'5" the seat will obviously have to adjust. We have a Harddog Harcore M2 bar installed and we both (well, me more than her) will have to get down lower to have the necessary clearance between helmet and bar.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
2/18/12 10:24 p.m.

Mount the seats FIA style through the floor. I got my 6' 1" tall buddy with helmet and HANS to fit in a caged Talon that way. Should be a piece of cake in a Miata, I bet it has more room in the front area

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gee2EezglygL2EeURcZS783gsZ0uxdbZWtlHQyP1LAMa6uS5kNnvjz467OUmryt8