dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/1/19 1:20 p.m.

I've always loved the look of the Ruckus. Would it be feasible to convert one to electric propulsion, DIY-style?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/6/19 1:40 p.m.

I’ve not seen a Ruckus electric conversion, but I have seen a Yamaha Vino converted.  I’d say it should not be too hard if you have a bit of skill and a welder.  A ruckus might be easier, as you probably won’t be too worried about aesthetics.

IIRC, they used a pit bike rear swing arm and wheel, an industrial motor (mounted to the chassis solidly) and controller, and LiPo batteries.  With ever improving battery tech, you could probably get away with mounting the batteries where the gas tank sits, if you don’t need too much range.  This setup used a chain drive, so they could alter gearing easily by swapping sprockets.

It was a beast on the drag strip, too.  I think it did 8.9 in the 1/8 mile.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/6/19 1:45 p.m.

I've seen electric scooters that look almost identical to a ruckus. Not sure if diy would be cheaper or better but they are out there. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/6/19 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

I’m not surprised there are electric Chuckuses already.  I’m guessing the quality will be commensurate with the price.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/9/19 11:16 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

I've seen electric scooters that look almost identical to a ruckus. Not sure if diy would be cheaper or better but they are out there. 

I think it would be better to start with a knockoff with a dead engine to do a conversion. Ruckus command an absurd price in Chicagoland. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/9/19 12:04 p.m.

Yes.

Nugi
Nugi Reader
2/14/19 7:23 a.m.

Ruckus are insanely expensive here, I would sell it and buy a half dozen already electric scooters and hack on them. Or a pile of old lambrettas. Last I checked those honda scooters are selling for more than my 'real' motorcycle. 

TJL
TJL Reader
2/14/19 9:28 a.m.

I got a razor quad 4 wheeler out of the garbage to fix up for my son.  Its got. 350 watt motor, chain drive, 24v from 2 decent size 12v sealed lead acid batteries and it scoots me and my son down the road nicely even though combined we are more than twice the weight limit. 

Point is, you could do a 1000watt similar motor and chain drive for a reasonable price. Look up “e-scooter” parts for the motor, gears and throttle controls. . One with a appropriately sized speed control, maybe 48v could maybe do pretty good. Those use a centrifugal clutch right?  

After screwing with this kids quad, i kinda want to get any 4 wheeler roller and throw some 48v golf cart guts on it with some lithiums. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/14/19 9:40 a.m.

I did an Ebike, the parts are cheap and pretty easy if your a DIY person. I am sure a Rukus or similar wouldn't be hard.

My kits is a 3000w motor (@72V) I run a 12s lipo pack (56V nominal, ~60 fully charged) IT RIPS. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SbGaEStJx9PcFSR0TFMoVcQ1dsKe7Wpmhb2sasZ6J4GsevWW7CXZeLIzQPvWH9mb