1 ... 10 11 12
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/14/11 2:05 p.m.
RossD wrote:
RossD wrote: What is the answer to: 48÷2÷(9+3) Conversely: 48÷2*(9+3) The answer cannot be the same.
Again, please.

Gladly!

2, and 288. I'm having trouble figuring out why either of these are relevant to the discussion, as neither of them are the original question, though the first one is close.

Please answer my above questions, as i've been respectful enough to address yours. G'day!

RossD
RossD Dork
4/14/11 2:58 p.m.

See that is the problem. The second equation [48÷2*(9+3)] is exactly the same as the original equation. Why else would you multiply 2 by (9+3) if that multiplication symbol isn't in the equation? The multiplication symbol is implied, and division and multiplication have the same rank in the PEMDAS system, so therefore you start from the left and go right and do exacty what is there. 48 divided by 2 multiplied by the quantity 9 add to 3. Equals 288.

What questions have I been missing? I'll do my best to answer them.

From wiki: "The standard order of operations, or precedence, is expressed here:

terms inside brackets

exponents and roots

multiplication and division

addition and subtraction "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

Multiplication and division have the same rank; therefore you do them in order.

RossD
RossD Dork
4/14/11 3:02 p.m.

From the Purple Math website

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

"A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 ÷ 3 × 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first."

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
4/14/11 3:25 p.m.
RossD wrote: 48÷2÷(9+3) = 2 48÷2*(9+3) = 288

Which of those two statements reflects the orignal question: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

The second. Think about what that means.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/11 3:53 p.m.

monark192
monark192 Reader
4/14/11 4:38 p.m.

My wife is a special ed teacher - her kids got 288.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
4/14/11 11:18 p.m.

After using the distributive property and multiplying the 2 by the 9 and the 3 and then adding the two products; I divided that sum by 48 and got AIDS. Way to go guys. Now I have AIDS.

lewbud
lewbud Reader
4/15/11 3:31 a.m.

So basically, I do it one way and get 2, do it the other and I get 288. My head still hurts and I'm wondering where my damn pancakes are.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/15/11 6:19 a.m.

I have nothing constructive to add but, 12 pages on a math problem. What a bunch of geeks.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/15/11 6:30 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I have nothing constructive to add but, 12 pages on a math problem. What a bunch of geeks.

Correction: 12 pages on a notation clarity problem.

"Throw your father down the stairs his hat."

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
4/15/11 12:02 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: I have nothing constructive to add but, 12 pages on a math problem. What a bunch of geeks.
Correction: 12 pages on a notation clarity problem. "Throw your father down the stairs his hat."

"Helping your uncle Jack off a horse."

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/15/11 12:18 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Correction: 12 pages on a notation clarity problem. "Throw your father down the stairs his hat."
"Helping your uncle Jack off a horse."

Do you smell.... like E36 M3?

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vMWPR0dJkDqEwMdrYtIcPf5NhLGOYFvIdSmWXpqzbR1yGDne8KvtT8DXazc52GGx