SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/20/15 8:46 a.m.

So it's been pretty cold (-25 windchill) the last couple days, so I decided to park the Durango garage overnight.

I pull it out yesterday and walk back into the garage and I see a mole wiggle away underneath some lawn furniture I have stacked in the corner. I know it wasn't a mouse because it was slow, mice dart away. It's was also black and had a tiny tail.

Is it common for moles to take refuge inside for the winter? Even living on a farm I never saw that.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
2/20/15 8:56 a.m.

Perhaps a shrew?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/20/15 9:05 a.m.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a shrew. Those are usually small and brown. This was about 3 inches long and blackish.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/20/15 9:09 a.m.

Vole... or a scrawny black rat.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
2/20/15 9:13 a.m.

I'm more or less ignorant to the ways of the wild, but I am somewhat familiar with moles. That said, I ain't never seen one above ground, unless it was in a dogs mouth.

If it is a mole, that is just odd.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/20/15 9:14 a.m.

+1 on a vole. They used to get into my ex's house once in awhile. Fun for the cats, who loved to chase them around and catch them, but rarely kill the damn things so they'd always get away.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/20/15 10:18 a.m.

Our outside cat is mostly retired now, at 15 years of age, but she had a line on baby moles. She was always bringing them home. She went on one final killing spree about a year and a half ago, killing something every day, then I think she retired.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/20/15 11:11 a.m.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Vole. I have experience with them. It had a stubby little tail and it wasn't fast at all. I probably could have caught it if I hadn't had all the lawn furniture in the way.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/15 2:41 p.m.

Gopher?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/20/15 2:52 p.m.

Cochamouse?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/15 3:58 p.m.

Avogadro?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/20/15 4:06 p.m.

Honey Badger?

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/20/15 4:17 p.m.

Chupacabra?

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/21/15 5:03 p.m.

Meadow Vole is my guess. Microtus pennsylvanicus. It is the most common rodent in the north east anyway. Most mice as you mentioned are much faster.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/21/15 5:05 p.m.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/21/15 6:53 p.m.

snipe.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/21/15 9:11 p.m.

Landshark!

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/21/15 9:12 p.m.
Woody wrote: Avogadro?

Isn't he responsible for some really big number?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/15 9:12 p.m.

Capabara?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/21/15 11:11 p.m.

Drop bear!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/21/15 11:13 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Honey Badger?

I've been trying to convince the wife to let me.have one of these. They're giant ferrets, only meaner, and smarter. There's a documentary on Netflix about one called stoffel. Stoffel and his girl hammy are the coolest pets ever.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/21/15 11:34 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uh4GliUKB4Cm6NYw4n04QagfIozXlpXWklNJhyu2qZCZDhFFTjkPbBkoDdQBTLwn