1 2 3 4
Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/8/11 10:18 a.m.

Aside from the "buy buy buy" crap I really like Christmas. My Dad is a Minister so the season has always been much more to my family than buying crap, its about being with family for the most part.

I hate dragging all of the decorations up from the basement but it is a lot of fun to put everything up with the kids, the way their faces light up is priceless.

We stay away from stores as much as possible, online shopping is the best. That cuts way down on the stress. I guess for us the trickis too not get caught up in the hype of the season and just enjoy the food and the time with family and friends.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
11/8/11 10:20 a.m.

I'm an atheist, but I still celebrate Christmas, even though it's clearly a religious holiday. Brings back good feelings from being young, I guess. I do hate overcommercialization, as everyone else does. I can't stand hearing Christmas music before the middle of December (and even most music they play in stores is pop music with holiday-themed lyrics and sleigh bells overdubbed, which is to say it's crap), and I hate traffic and shopping, and those people that overdecorate their houses, and how they blare Silent Night everywhere, when it's a song that's clearly only supposed to be played on Christmas Eve, and very quietly (think of the title, knuckleheads).

I do, however, like getting together with my family (it's the one time a year I see my dad's side of the family, we all live pretty far apart), and I like getting and giving gifts. Oh, and don't forget watching The Muppet's Family Christmas. Classic.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render New Reader
11/8/11 10:22 a.m.

You know I've never really cared for Christmas, but I think the reason I'm going to hate it so much this year is I have no one to celebrate it with (or even to buy gifts for).

I think my car is getting coilovers for Christmas...

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
11/8/11 10:22 a.m.

I do my duty, just for my two yougest grandchildren. I hate the attemps at brain washing by all of the adds. I look forward to Jan 2. Then I can start doing normal winter stuff. Like Ice racing.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/8/11 10:23 a.m.

best part of xmas:

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/8/11 10:30 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: You know I've never really cared for Christmas, but I think the reason I'm going to hate it so much this year is I have no one to celebrate it with (or even to buy gifts for).

This makes me sad.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
11/8/11 10:38 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: You know I've never really cared for Christmas, but I think the reason I'm going to hate it so much this year is I have no one to celebrate it with (or even to buy gifts for).
This makes me sad.

Me too.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/8/11 10:51 a.m.

Me 3 - Sky Render, what address should I put on your invite to Christmas dinner at my house?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/8/11 11:00 a.m.

The wife and I will be spending Christmas on this:

We did a Christmas cruise a couple years ago and loved it. No last-minute rush, no hellish nightmare of trying to get "regular" stuff done (like grocery shopping) in the days before Christmas, no big Christmas eve/day productions. We'll do a dinner with the folks and in-laws a week or so early and exchange some gifts. Nice and mellow. It's win-win.

The general level of intensity and anger that seems to swell around the holidays bugs me. We like to avoid it when possible. The only lines on cruise ships tend to have rum at the other end.

jg

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
11/8/11 11:15 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Me 3 - Sky Render, what address should I put on your invite to for Christmas dinner at my house?

Me 4. I think that's why a lot of people don't like Christmas. My entire family will have nothing to do with each other – I used play the "mediator" role, but it just got too hard. Usually I make a turkey dinner, and invite whatever friends I know have no one to spend the holiday with.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/8/11 11:32 a.m.

I suppose I probably need to put my Xmas face on one of these days. Got to make good on Xmas for the kid, even if I hate it. Though, it's time for my annual "What random thing can I buy the wife that she totally isn't expecting because it was normally hideously expensive and now is on ridiculous sale and I happen to be in the right place at the right time and get the last one?"

Three years running it's been Tokidoki purses. (Japanese designer). They're normally a few hundred each, she has 3 and I have less than 150$ out of pocket, total.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/8/11 11:34 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: You know I've never really cared for Christmas, but I think the reason I'm going to hate it so much this year is I have no one to celebrate it with (or even to buy gifts for). I think my car is getting coilovers for Christmas...

Dude, that kinda sucks. Put me on the list for making it not terrible for you.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
11/8/11 12:50 p.m.

I tell you guys what. One Christmas we had friends come over after everyone got done with their family stuff, around 9pm. We had a great time eating desserts shooting the E36 M3, talking about the day, what we got, and my buddies and I played video games until 2am when everyone went home.

It was the best christmas I have ever had easily. It was way better than spending time with the family.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render New Reader
11/8/11 12:53 p.m.

Wow, I appreciate all the concern. I've had a pretty rough year.

I'd take you guys up on the invites, but you guys are all over the country.

I think I'm going to try working at the local rescue mission (both Thanksgiving and Christmas). Isn't that what the holidays are supposed to be about anyway? Helping people?

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
11/8/11 1:05 p.m.

Great attitude - I did that one year and it gave me a lovely feeling of peace and serenity inside.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/8/11 1:08 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I tell you guys what. One Christmas we had friends come over after everyone got done with their family stuff, around 9pm. We had a great time eating desserts shooting the E36 M3, talking about the day, what we got, and my buddies and I played video games until 2am when everyone went home. It was the best christmas I have ever had easily. It was way better than spending time with the family.

We should try for a GRM Chicago Christmas meet somewhere the week before.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
11/8/11 1:19 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: best part of xmas:

Absolute family tradition. We have the DVD since not having cable makes it hard to watch the TBS marathon. I also have a leg lamp in my front window

So I guess there is at least another good thing about christmas...

Rusted_Busted_Spit
11/8/11 1:45 p.m.

This is our Christmas movie tradition. There are lots of good quotes from this movie.

The Ref quotes

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/8/11 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Sky_Render:

well, in all honesty, the offer stands - if you find yourself in the Greater Cincinnati area, and want a turkey diner, or just a brew, invite is open ended. Doesnt have to be Xmas time either. This goes for pretty much all of GRM.

(... except for Poop, we dont like yer kind 'round these parts)

Rusted_Busted_Spit
11/8/11 2:11 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

I will be downtown Cinci all next week if you are up for a beer or two.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/8/11 2:16 p.m.

butlerbmx at yahoo dot com

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
11/8/11 2:19 p.m.

Sky Render and Lesley both mentioned working at a mission. A few years ago, my dad and I found this: http://www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com/ I send them some $ each year and man it really helps me through the holidays.

'A Christmas Story' is another one of the things I actually like about this time of the year.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
11/8/11 2:30 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: And that is why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. There is no religious basis or altered religious basis. It is not cultural or racial biased but rather just an American Holiday.

Oh, really? And who are we thanking?

George Washington said: Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

Thanksgiving Proclamation

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/8/11 2:39 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Wow, I appreciate all the concern. I've had a pretty rough year. I'd take you guys up on the invites, but you guys are all over the country. I think I'm going to try working at the local rescue mission (both Thanksgiving and Christmas). Isn't that what the holidays are supposed to be about anyway? Helping people?

Think a turkey well enough insulated could stand to be fedex'ed overnight and still be warm? Otherwise... I can probably arrange to have food delivered. I've done dumber.... just in case. I forget I have family all over the east coast.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render New Reader
11/8/11 2:56 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: Wow, I appreciate all the concern. I've had a pretty rough year. I'd take you guys up on the invites, but you guys are all over the country. I think I'm going to try working at the local rescue mission (both Thanksgiving and Christmas). Isn't that what the holidays are supposed to be about anyway? Helping people?
Think a turkey well enough insulated could stand to be fedex'ed overnight and still be warm? Otherwise... I can probably arrange to have food delivered. I've done dumber.... just in case. I forget I have family all over the east coast.

Haha! I actually like cooking, but I've found out the hard way that making a delicious, huge meal for one means leftovers for 3 or more days!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
KzjvMkLVdoqTbiagqAgerntLxZVx7smKsVJP8KY4PfIIVRlYAF2y4227tAMUimqY