1 2
bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
11/26/13 10:29 a.m.

Random exploration for undiscovered autocross venues lead me to this fascinating website wherein I discovered I'm only about an hour from this place:

Which is apparently still going strong, as evidenced by this 2012 photo:

Not much farther down the road is Harvey Point which is another interesting story....

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/26/13 10:30 a.m.

That looks just like the air dock in Akron Ohio.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/13 10:32 a.m.

Blimps are very neat. The USCG was experimenting with them for catching Drug Runners. They could stay on station for 8 hours (or more) unlike a plane or a helicopter that had it's time measured in mere minutes

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
11/26/13 5:05 p.m.

Well, there went an hour and a half

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/26/13 6:09 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: That looks just like the air dock in Akron Ohio.

which is right across the street from the akron pull-a-part.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/26/13 6:48 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: Well, there went an hour and a half

Yup, I just got back here too!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/26/13 7:16 p.m.

This is great - I was amazed at all the airports in the Western Chicago 'burbs.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
11/26/13 8:37 p.m.

If I want to look at blimps, all I need to do is go to the local airport (10 min drive) at the right time. Lots of times I can just take pictures from the front porch.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
11/26/13 9:28 p.m.

One of the Goodyear one's goes by here fairly often. Kinda cool to see it floating by.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/MVC-024F-3.jpg.html][/URL]

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/27/13 7:16 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
bravenrace wrote: That looks just like the air dock in Akron Ohio.
which is right across the street from the akron pull-a-part.

While the blimps are no longer housed there (they are in a similar structure in Springfield), they fly over my house (and probably yours at times) all the time. My dog barks at them when they are over our yard, and then stops when they leave. It's like he thinks we own the air space above as well as the land.

Woody
11/27/13 7:18 a.m.

Good dog.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/27/13 7:50 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Well he is a pretty good dog. Funny thing is, one of our old dogs used to do the same thing, but when we lived in a different house. When we moved to this one, he stopped doing it. We had another dog at the same time, and he never did it. Dogs are kind of funny.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/27/13 8:04 a.m.

yeah they fly over us all the time. pretty low too. once it was low enough to get the pilot to wave at us.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/13 8:08 a.m.

mad_machine
11/27/13 10:43 a.m.
iadr wrote:
mad_machine wrote: Blimps are very neat. The USCG was experimenting with them for catching Drug Runners. They could stay on station for 8 hours (or more) unlike a plane or a helicopter that had it's time measured in mere minutes
.22 cal a few times and ffft? no?

nope.. individual air sacs inside.. and most blimps get shot at once a flight.. they are always coming back in with holes in them

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/27/13 11:05 a.m.

For some of the big games, Direct brings out their TV screen blimp. Thank you, that is all.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/27/13 11:17 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
iadr wrote:
mad_machine wrote: Blimps are very neat. The USCG was experimenting with them for catching Drug Runners. They could stay on station for 8 hours (or more) unlike a plane or a helicopter that had it's time measured in mere minutes
nope.. individual air sacs inside.. and most blimps get shot at once a flight.. they are always coming back in with holes in them

About 10 years ago a Goodyear blimp crashed east of Akron after hitting the top of a tree. By chance, I was there within minutes of the incident. When the blimp hit the tree it totally deflated and crashed to the ground. I'm not doubting you, just asking. How did that happen if it had individual air sacs inside?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/27/13 11:21 a.m.

I walked out of my house one night during the last full moon and heard an odd engine noise overhead. We have a grass strip nearby so small planes are common but this sounded different and the volume was near constant. I looked up to see a blimp cruise directly overhead in the darkness and silhouette itself against the moon. Very surreal.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/27/13 11:23 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Maybe it was the safest way to crash. That's my guess.

mad_machine
11/27/13 3:15 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
mad_machine wrote:
iadr wrote:
About 10 years ago a Goodyear blimp crashed east of Akron after hitting the top of a tree. By chance, I was there within minutes of the incident. When the blimp hit the tree it totally deflated and crashed to the ground. I'm not doubting you, just asking. How did that happen if it had individual air sacs inside?

Woody
11/27/13 3:49 p.m.

I remember having the MetLife blimp over my shoulder during a tennis tournament many years ago. It was surprisingly loud in that setting.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/27/13 4:15 p.m.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
11/27/13 4:57 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Woody: Well he is a pretty good dog. Funny thing is, one of our old dogs used to do the same thing, but when we lived in a different house. When we moved to this one, he stopped doing it. We had another dog at the same time, and he never did it. Dogs are kind of funny.

My cat used to stare up and chatter at the Re/Max air balloon.

Uh, yeah, go ahead and catch it, goooood kitty....

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/27/13 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Lesley:

My dog eats kitty's (I did say he was a good dog,didn't I?).

mad_machine
11/27/13 8:58 p.m.

Interesting tidbit about some of those Blimps. The The Skyship 600 used two ducted fans for propulsion. The engine that drove them was a Turbo Flat six made by Porsche

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C6SioeqJr2kowlj39Mg5xi7iVXvgrRtJ42ucPFCY13cTtFAcgOcia90of0Rhxr4p