dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/17 3:53 p.m.

It has occurred to me that I rarely read past page #1 in any of the sections of this forum. I then realized that I rarely look at anything other than page 1 in any other forums I look at.

What do you all do?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/27/17 3:56 p.m.

If there are new posts on the second page, I definitely read them. If it's been a while since I was on here (ha), I look through the first 3 or 4 pages of topics to see if anything interesting has appeared.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/17 3:59 p.m.
Duke wrote: If there are new posts on the second page, I definitely read them. If it's been a while since I was on here (ha), I look through the first 3 or 4 pages of topics to see if anything interesting has appeared.

Same here.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
7/27/17 4:01 p.m.

In addition to the above - I sometimes type a random page number into the address bar and take a trip down memory lane. There's some fascinating stuff here.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/27/17 4:07 p.m.

If you are on here often enough, there is no reason.

I do remember a statistic from a few years ago that 91% of people never look past the first page of Google search results:

How-many-Google-searchers-go-to-page-two-of-their-search-results

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/17 4:26 p.m.

I just run through Latest Topics to see what's being discussed.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/27/17 4:27 p.m.

Call me some-kind-a-dork, but I do if there is new (to me) material past page 1.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/17 4:34 p.m.

we usually leave that to the canoes to dig up about a year after their sell by date

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/17 4:43 p.m.
Duke wrote: If there are new posts on the second page, I definitely read them. If it's been a while since I was on here (ha), I look through the first 3 or 4 pages of topics to see if anything interesting has appeared.
Dr. Hess wrote: Call me some-kind-a-dork, but I do if there is new (to me) material past page 1.

Same.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/27/17 4:59 p.m.

I usually go about 3 -4 pages into latest. Further if there's a thread I'm following.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
7/27/17 5:01 p.m.

I usually go to Latest Topics then browse titles until I run out of red.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
7/27/17 5:58 p.m.

I like to find topics that had a fair amount of traffic but have been quiet for the last little bit, post something in the thread, then watch as the topic fades away and no one ever speaks of it again.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/17 6:45 p.m.

I click on Latest Topics, and then read or skim all of the new stuff highlighted in red since my last visit.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/17 8:57 p.m.

I go to Latest Topics then scroll pages until I see topics with last update @ more than 18 hours ago. Then I stop.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/27/17 9:05 p.m.

I'm on chapter 5.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/27/17 9:10 p.m.

Being a newbie (jan2017) ,I've actually gone to the beginning of 'Builds and Projects' and have noticed a progression of posters over the years that show up only to disappear(?) after a month or three...I know back away from the 'puter and go do SOMETHING!!!!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
7/27/17 9:18 p.m.

Depends, if I've been 'gone' for a few days maybe.
Usually only go to page 2 to find the rant or hotlink threads.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
7/27/17 9:31 p.m.

I never really go past pg1 of Latest Topics unless someone cross-posts a link or something.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
7/28/17 9:45 a.m.

Ha I tend to always have to look past page 1 to find what I am interested in. I actually joked about this with my wife how we must be either "on the cutting edge" or "behind the times" as our interests are on the first page half the time.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/28/17 11:08 a.m.

It's interesting how people use forums. For what it's worth, a little while back we made each forum page longer.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/17 12:17 p.m.

I rarely go the actual forums, I'm a big "Latest Topics" fan. Once in a while I check out the Classifieds to see if I've missed anything that I probably won't be buying.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/17 7:20 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: It's interesting how people use forums. For what it's worth, a little while back we made each forum page longer.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/28/17 7:39 p.m.
The0retical wrote: I usually go to Latest Topics then browse titles until I run out of red.

Likewise for me. If it's my day off and I'm bored, I may check a few times in a single day and just have a page of latest topics, but if I'm in the middle of a hellish work week or take a little trip, I can come back after a few days and have 7-8 pages worth of red to enjoy.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/17 8:58 p.m.

In reply to OP: Yep. Way past the 1st page. Sometimes way back. I start with most recent, go to "Your Posts", then maybe on in to build threads. Then again, I'm unemployed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7S0zzGycXQn1ZS0v0Fzwn7Dx7oiRV2uqFJRXsuqInpUeR3piWM1dlOko4BbH5sag