1 2
Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
12/12/13 7:56 a.m.

I'm not easily offended but that's an insult to first base coaches everywhere.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/12/13 8:05 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Interpretation of what he said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-DxGoIVUWo

At some point, "all of these balls".

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/12/13 8:32 a.m.

I have a friend that is an interpreter (professionally I suppose) & another friend with a daughter taking this in college at the moment. I really need to get their input.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
12/12/13 8:52 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: I've always wondered if sign language would work between people who don't actually speak the same language. As in someone speaking French uses the sign for something and that sign is the same sign someone speaking English would use, so the idea gets across even though they each think they are signing their own language.

There's 17 major variants of signing as I recall, as well regional dialects, having to do with schools. None the less, they all can fundamentally talk to one another. Think of it like you learned about how native americans could use some signs and smoke signals to communicate between tribes with different languages.

There are major differences. British sign uses both hands for letters, American sign uses just one. An American signing the need to pee will have just told a South African that he wants to boink, so confusion can ensue, and tempers can flare (though at least I was warned of this one). Not much different than going to South America and giving someone a thumbs up.

It was known to the deaf community almost instantly that the guy was a fake. Folk communicated very quickly, asking each other if anyone recognized what this ding-bat was doing. No one did.

I actually doubt there was malice. I put it right up there beside those people that convince churches to let them restore artwork. Certainly the people that put him up on stage should have checked to see if he actually was an interpreter. But I see no deliberate insult by those that selected him. I don't see it in the ding-bat either.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/13/13 6:45 p.m.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-13/about-bull-market-til-2016-meme-you-btfath-check-out-chart

The Tylers said: Mandela Fake "Interpreter" Is Schizophrenic Who Has Faced Rape, Theft And Murder Charges Tyler Durden's picture Submitted by Tyler Durden on 12/13/2013 11:32 -0500 As the surreal facts and fictions surrounding Nelson Mandela's death grow (as hundreds breached security and flooded his coffin), the story of the "fake" interpreter goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. eNCA is reporting that Thamsanqa Jantjie - who stood mere feet away from the world's leaders (and waved his hands like a muppet) is being treated for schizophrenia, has also faced rape (1994), theft (1995), house-breaking (1997), malicious damage to property (1998), murder, attempted murder and kidnapping (2003) charges. Many of the charges brought against him were dropped, allegedly because he was mentally unfit to stand trial. Via eNCA, The man now known by many as the ‘fake interpreter’, stood just a foot away from world leaders, including US President Barack Obama, who is one of the most heavily protected men on the planet. ...faced a murder charge in 2003. ...It’s unknown if the case was ever concluded as the court file is mysteriously empty. eNCA's investigations have found that Thamsanqa Jantjie, who is being treated for schizophrenia, has also faced rape (1994), theft (1995), housebreaking (1997), malicious damage to property (1998), murder, attempted murder and kidnapping (2003) charges. Many of the charges brought against him were dropped, allegedly because he was mentally unfit to stand trial. Jantjie was acquitted on the rape charge, but he was convicted of theft for which he was sentenced to three years in prison. It’s unclear if he ever spent time in jail. ... During the memorial, it emerged on social media networks that Jantjie wasn’t a properly qualified sign language interpreter and that his signing during that historic event didn’t make any sense. The story went global and Jantjie was portrayed as a joke. But this story took a serious turn when eNCA established he was mentally ill. Jantjie admitted that he was heavily medicated for schizophrenia and has spent time at the Sterkfontein Psychiatric Hospital. But apart from that... we are sure his mom says he is really good boy...
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/13 6:50 p.m.

Good thing his schizophrenia didn't make him think any of those world leaders standing next to him were the devil...the ones from democratic countries anyway

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/13/13 7:34 p.m.

He was quoted somewhere as saying he sometimes gets violent. Like I said, you just can't make this E36 M3 up.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
12/13/13 11:13 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: He was quoted somewhere as saying he sometimes gets violent. Like I said, you just can't make this E36 M3 up.

I saw the interview where he was saying it. He's a train wreck.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
12/13/13 11:13 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: He was quoted somewhere as saying he sometimes gets violent. Like I said, you just can't make this E36 M3 up.

I saw the interview where he was saying it. He's a train wreck.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nKGNcTqjLLNJ6jSNlfoZrisrBiTk2MFwAyHV4lEHmOD8GuTNC9OIK8zh7nktBW3x