1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 404
NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/12/20 12:06 p.m.

Well, official as of today, Union Pacific #3985, their 4-6-6-4 that they ran in excursion service since the '80s, is now officially retired with no plans to restore it to operation in the forseeable future.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/12/20 12:18 p.m.

The #3985 had a pretty good run, being operated from '81 to 2010, at which point she was parked, stating need for an entire overhaul. The UP restoring #4014 basically sealed the #3985's fate. The UP has no need for 2 massive locomotives (one could argue that Uncle Pete has no need for any steam locomotives and we should be grateful they run any) and the #4014 has the claim to the largest steam locomotive built, so that took away #3985's "largest operating steam locomotive" award, and according to their steam program, the #3985 is just flat worn-out. It was operated last in 2010, but there was no official word if she would ever return or not until this week, when they made an announcement

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/12/20 1:13 p.m.

The #3985 hauling mixed freight in 1991

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
2/12/20 2:24 p.m.

What? Nobody is connecting Robert Conrad's passing and this?!!!

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/13/20 6:27 a.m.
DjGreggieP said:

Could some of the more memorable (re: storied) locomotives be built today from old plans (if they still exist) even if to be static display with their story for future generations..? Or would that be a futile excursion?

This got me thinking: Which no-longer existent locomotive would I like to see rebuilt and operated a la The T1 Trust? And while I would love to see a new PRR J1 or NYO&W 4-8-2, I tried to keep my choices realistic, meaning it has to be a project with big appeal that people would get behind with funding (nothing obscure), has to be operational over a wide selection of trackage (nothing massively huge and heavy) and has to be capable of modern excursion demands (has to be reasonably powerful and capable of 70mph running) and has to bring something to the table that no existing locomotives in operation or on display have.

Easy button is the NYC Hudson.  There are few modern large NYC steam locomotives left and absolutely none of their 4-6-4 Hudsons left. There are also very few 4-6-4s from any other railroad and none of them are operational. The Hudson is considered a legendary locomotive, they were fast, they were powerful (the NYC on occasion used them in freight service), the NYC's limited clearances meant they are relatively compact and they are roller-bearing equipped (CSX and some other Class Is won't allow friction-bearing equipment on their tracks). While the non-streamlined version would be fine, as its a handsome engine, the Dreyfuss-streamlined version is iconic and there are very few streamlined locomotives preserved or restored. Also, being a pretty famous part of NY's heritage, you might even get some state funding.

My second choice would be a Baltimore & Ohio T-3 4-8-2. These were the B&O's big dual-service Mountains, arguably their finest engines. Powerful, fast and handsome, they were also roller-bearing equipped with all the other fixings to make them nice beasts to operate (power reverse, mechanical stoker, etc.). What do they bring to the table that warrants recreation? The B&O didn't save any of their Mountains, and while there is a lot of B&O equipment preserved A) It is mostly entombed in the B&O Railroad Museum B) Most of it is 1860s-era antiques or switcher locomotives C) There is none operational. Also, there has only ever been one 4-8-2 Mountain restored to operation, Frisco #1522, and she hasn't run since 2002, with no return slated for the near future.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/13/20 11:32 a.m.

I I could chose an existing locomotive to see get restored to operation, I think Grand Trunk Western #6039 would be my front runner. The Canadian National/GTW U-1 4-8-2s are just a powerful looking locomotive. Despite that, they're comparatively small and lightweight, which was a trend for Canadian locomotives. The #6039 has been with Steamtown since its original inception and shuttled to Bellows Falls, then North Walpole and now the Scranton site. On paper its a perfect engine for them to operate as it is powerful enough to haul their longer distance runs but small enough to fit on their turntable and not so heavy as to beat up their infrastructure. The sealed all-weather cab (another Canadian trait) would also be nice during the winter months. Unfortunately, the National Park Services brief on the locomotive states it has scored cylinders that would make it too costly for them return to service, so it seems unlikely she'll ever be fired up again. Also, Steamtown has frequently been criticized for using too much Canadian equipment (I don't get it, any steam locomotives are okay in my book) so they wouldn't want to dive into her and face that crowd again.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/13/20 12:02 p.m.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/13/20 12:23 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Ah yes, New York Central's upside-down bathtub for the Mercury. Not their best streamlining effort.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/14/20 7:39 a.m.

Interesting. The East Broad Top Railroad, a narrow-gauge steam railroad in PA that has been shuttered since 2012, released a quick video on Facebook of them moving one of the locomotives out of their roundhouse with a diesel and is promising a big announcement today at 11am.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ffacebook%2Fvideos%2F2777861792292632%2F&width=500&show_text=false&height=281

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/14/20 7:52 a.m.

I really hope its that the owners have found someone who is going to buy the place and reopen it. Its all in pretty good shape, its just that the owners and the operators couldn't come to a lease agreement and the owners wish to sell the place off.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/14/20 10:23 a.m.

Wow, I'm honestly surprised. They announced that the East Broad Top has been sold to a non-profit organization who is going to renovate, reopen and operate the East Broad Top, with some special events this year and then regular operations next year.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/file.php?1,file=61498,filename=EBT_News_Release_6_.pdf

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/14/20 11:52 a.m.

The fascinating thing about the EBT is that, unlike a lot of other tourist railroads, this isn't a segment of a line and a collection of mismatched equipment. It is an entire complete railroad. The 27 miles of track is the entire railroad and the locomotives and cars are all original to the line. It was operated from 1871 to 1956 as a coal-carrying narrow gauge line and then in 1960 was revived as a tourist line. This makes it the best-preserved and oldest narrow gauge line in the United States.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/14/20 11:53 a.m.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/14/20 11:53 a.m.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/14/20 11:54 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/14/20 12:36 p.m.
914Driver said:

Smug robot looks smug. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
2/14/20 9:23 p.m.

Interesting place to get lost:  https://www.openrailwaymap.org

Kazookid2 and I found out there's a HUGE yard in the neighboring city.  I suspect we'll be making a trip out there some time.  

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/15/20 11:05 p.m.

There's a fair bit of abandoned track near my house...

Might have to go for a walk.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/15/20 11:49 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Thanks for that link. If all goes as planned, I may end up with my own thread soon. In the research/planning stages now for a N scale layout.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/16/20 12:19 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Do it.

Do it , do it, do it!

We're gonna need another subforum soon.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/16/20 7:13 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

I know where the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern yard is in Utica, and I'd really like to poke around there, as they still have a largely Alco/MLW roster. I've thought about calling them to see if they'd mind, being a smaller business, but I'm sure they don't want anyone hanging around. It's also a good spot because it's right near the Utica train station, which Adirondack Scenic uses and has equipment stored there, and CSX and Amtrak go through that station non-stop as well

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/16/20 2:53 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

There might be a thread coming for the revival of my "abandoned" N-scale layout as well. I need to decide the plan for that. I did dig out my equipment and found a locomotive I have absolutely no recollection of.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/17/20 9:21 a.m.

A photo of Boston & Maine #3713 spread just about wall-to-wall in Steamtown's ex-DL&W locomotive shop. Funny thing, I went to Steamtown about 18 or 19 years ago, and they were working on this engine then. Also, I've been to Steamtown 3 separate times and only ridden behind a steam locomotive once.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/17/20 10:11 a.m.

#3713's driving wheels on Strasburg's wheel lathe. Keep in mind, those drivers have an 80" diameter, just to give a sense of scale.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/17/20 11:06 a.m.

B&M #3713 "Constitution" in her glory days in '54. She was one of the B&M's heavy Pacifics and was named by school children, earning her the nickname of America's Locomotive.

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 404

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SYixMkYdeuTwEKIlJQhGL757i0RZBz4LvlWMCS4hMMBi5zJNXdp1HNwb4266RdIR