RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/30/17 8:16 p.m.

Point n shoot mostly. 

Um, good low light/indoor, usb or micro sd preferred to wifi, whatever that time lapse video feature is called would be handy too. $100-150?

I'm a terrible photographer, I understand but have trouble working all the options of manual mode on my phones, and their auto settings suck in my dim house. I used to look at Nikon and Sony in this price range/usage segment, are they still the better options?

Specifically, I'm trying to photograph objects smaller than 9x9x9 inches from a distance of 2 to 3 feet, in low light conditions.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
12/30/17 9:13 p.m.

I would try to get to a camera story and ask them for ideas, they will have more ideas and they can show you and you can see what is in stock and get your hands on the stuff and look and feel what is is like and then do some reviewing online and see what people are saying about the pros and cons of the unit you are looking at. That's about all I can say before giving any types of cameras.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/31/17 1:54 p.m.

I picked one of these up recently.  Yashica Lynx 14E.  Great in low light thanks to 45 mm f/1.4 lens!  No USB, though.  35mm film only. 

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2480/4172906810_c3c9f4d469.jpg

travellering
travellering HalfDork
12/31/17 3:09 p.m.

Is there anything stopping you bringing more light to bear on the subject?  Work lights,  home-made studio lights, etc.?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/31/17 3:18 p.m.

Without doing any research I think you might need a little higher budget. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/31/17 3:23 p.m.

Mostly laziness with a side wanting a new toy. 

The best I can really do with what I have on hand would be CFL spotlights or fluorescent tubes, not exactly great lighting. I've looked at lightboxes before, theres even one about the right size with 2 LED spotlights for like $30 on amazon. Even down in my shop with it's super bright led tubes, it's still kind of dark and hard to shoot with the phones I've used in there. 

My thought is really the larger lens of a standalone camera should capture more light even if it's a similar size or style sensor as to what is in my phone. And combined with some better room lighting, I could take better pictures overall. 

I might be asking too much trying to get a camera better than a cellphone for less than a cellphone, but I've not been happy with my phones camera for 2 years/phones now. I'm just not heavy enough into photography to warrant buying a DSLR or an assortment of parts. 

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
12/31/17 3:43 p.m.

We like our Nikon S1.  Its not a DSLR... its a mirrorless something or other.  It looks like a cross between a point and shoot and a DSLR though with the removable lens on the front.  I do think its a little bit over your budget, but not by much.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
12/31/17 4:10 p.m.

The problem is that it is the sensor size that ultimately determines how much light the camera can use of what is available.  Low light situations are the most challenging to shoot in, and they are why full-frame high-end DSLRs can command such steep prices.  You need them if you are going to shoot dimly lit concerts, or capture sports action under distant stadium lights.  

Mirrorless cameras and entry-level DSLR rigs are going to start around $300, not the price of a cheap cell-phone.  

Your best bet is to see if you have any friends who got a nice camera for Christmas and want excuses to shoot with it.  That will give you a better idea of what a good camera is capable of and what you might need to make something work for you.

Lighting will probably be the cheaper option, regardless.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
12/31/17 4:17 p.m.

Just stalking your post history, I'm guessing you mostly intend to shoot your 3d printed items.  Big plus, they are not likely to move while you shoot them.  You can probably get away with a Craigslist camera and a tripod.   If you can set a timer for the photo and remove all hand shake, it's amazing how much better even an old cruddy digital camera can manage in light too weak for handheld action shots.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PjEUzZWFLUbg5IbylrHBZbkiD247LX4KgHjPb8MSPLSV6kSsLDKfTEIF4eEtcmRD