Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/7/13 7:33 p.m.

America's Real Criminal Element: Lead

Leaded gasoline linked to the rise and fall of violent crime

Two interesting articles on the same topic. And here I thought it was just middle-age that caused my urge to rape, kill and then kill some more to ease up a little. Turns out... I just had bad gas.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
1/7/13 8:06 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Turns out... I just had bad gas.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/13 8:06 p.m.

Interesting read, thanks.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
1/7/13 8:07 p.m.

Jeez, no wonder there are so many stabbings in China.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
1/7/13 8:08 p.m.

Yeah, bad gas could obviously cause alot of the symptoms you describe... But I also feel that you may have eaten your fair-share of paint-chips as a child.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
1/7/13 11:58 p.m.

correlation isn't causation

I would need to see some major statistics with real backers and huge STD to believe this.

jere
jere Reader
1/8/13 1:25 a.m.

I don't see why they can't just say all the factors have merit instead of argue that one idea is it.

Really there are too many changes people are making with unknown results. Chemicals we are producing and administering into our environment are really crazy and thoughtless. Then add all the other social changes and technological changes... studies like this are just bench racing

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
1/8/13 2:17 a.m.

So filling someone full of lead makes them more likely to commit a crime? I keed. I keed.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/8/13 5:06 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: correlation isn't causation

Exactly. I was trying to explain that to some people yesterday using the . pastafarian claim that global warming is caused by a lack of pirates This Forbes article does a good job of explaining the fallacy of equating corrolation and causation. (...and is the source from which I hotlinked the image)

1/8/13 7:33 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: correlation isn't causation I would need to see some major statistics with real backers and huge STD to believe this.

I didn't make any claims, just linked some articles. I did find it interesting as someone who thought exhaust smelled better before they took the lead out. At the very least it is an interesting hypothesis.

Also... global warming is caused by lack of pirates. :)

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
1/8/13 10:00 a.m.

You must increase your lead as the criminal increases speed, otherwise your shots will be behind him.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/8/13 10:53 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

Increase the elevation of lead dispersed to compensate.......if they zig and zag, it becomes a trig problem you must do in your head

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/8/13 11:52 a.m.

There are a ton of dead to real correlations that would amaze you.

1/8/13 12:05 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Hahaha! Thats great. Saved for future use.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/8/13 12:09 p.m.

The mountain must be made of lead.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/13 1:40 p.m.

it's an interesting theory.. and considering what lead does to the body, it does need more looking into

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
1/8/13 1:56 p.m.

Ice cream consumption and murder both rise and fall at the same schedule. ZOMFG Ice cream causes murder!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DMiDbmva97F6w9RQav7XkBpLoJovVOLRN4rlSRcLaMJorWMNHZwDpJo9j5pOd3Ao