1 2 3
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/17 12:52 p.m.
slefain wrote: I predict they will sell like hotcakes to suburban Dad's with upper middle management jobs, who will then deck them out in Jeep "outdoor lifestyle gear" that will never see use but make them feel like they are back in their frat again.

there are a couple of them at work. 4 door wranglers, in black, that are all decked out in the latest overlanding gear, that I have never even seen dusty, let alone dirty

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/23/17 1:21 p.m.

I've heard that this is only going to be offered in a 4-door, which I think sucks, but it makes sense. Most truck buyers these days are buying 4-door trucks, so offering the most popular configuration makes perfect sense from their perspective. I've read that they WILL be offering the 3.0L EcoDiesel, which is great news.

I have long said that if they offered a cool Jeep pickup, I'd be hard pressed not to buy one. What I wanted though was this:

Even that with a slight extend cab would have been perfect.

I also wanted it to slot in, bare bones with 4WD, for under $30k. That's not happening. The Unlimited that it's based on is going to be well into the $30k range, so I'm guessing this thing will be around $40k to start. That puts this thing out of the running for me.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
8/23/17 3:05 p.m.

If raptors are selling like hot cakes for $60k, another pure toy for a bit less seems like it will fly off of the lots.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/23/17 4:36 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:
mndsm wrote: If it ends up with a diesel, a perfect storm will brew. Jeep bros will collide with diesel truck bros. The earth will be reduced to a sooty cloud of ash as prius owners cower, and mindless zombies wearing tapout shirts and white oakleys will roam the earth moaning "squaaaaaaaat" as each poorly fitted lift kit drives by.
You forgot to mention Carolina Squat...

It was the squaaaaat moan against the poorly fitted lift kit. Too subtle?

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
8/23/17 4:39 p.m.

Given how much SUV's cost right now, I gotta figure it'll start at $45k or so, then go up from there.

Which diesel is going to be used? The crappy Fiat one? Hope not....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/17 5:39 p.m.

My BIL has a "long Jeep". Basically the long wheelbase 4 door, but with two doors. They weren't made for very long. Looks like this:

I've gotta say, it's a pretty decent size. You can put four people in it and have some cargo space, or pull the back seats and it's basically a pickup. But it's a reasonable size footprint. It's the first Wrangler I've looked at and said "yeah, I might want one of those". He's got both a softtop and a hardtop for it. His is also a Rubicon that's been nicely modified, so it's probably worth more than any car I own

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/23/17 7:13 p.m.

I know they won't make a two door jeep truck, and it makes me sad. Add it to my Miata coupe and my Rolls Royce station wagon on the list of cars I want but can't have. And yes, I'm aware that a two door Jeep pickup, a Miata coupe, and a Rolls Royce station wagon all exist, but their existence and my ability to buy one are separate things.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
8/23/17 7:33 p.m.

I wonder if the diesel will happen, if so I'd be very surprised. They have already refused to certify them for 2017 in the trucks.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
8/23/17 7:44 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: So somebody says they want a real bed and 4 doors and you complain when it's long?

I never get complaints about too much length

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/23/17 8:11 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP:

Irish?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
8/24/17 5:40 a.m.
slefain wrote: I predict they will sell like hotcakes to suburban Dad's with upper middle management jobs, who will then deck them out in Jeep "outdoor lifestyle gear" that will never see use but make them feel like they are back in their frat again. The bed will be used to haul stuff to/from kids sports practice and gigantic 96 roll bulk packs of T.P. from Costco. One day it will snow 1" in their city and they will proclaim with great authority to their wife that THIS is why they bought a four wheel drive vehicle! They will then throw it in four low and proceed to pirouette into a ditch as all four wheels scramble for traction on the actual ice that covers the road. Their neighbor will offer to give them a ride to work in their Prius V which made it up the gated neighborhood's only hill with ease. I'm not wrong...

Maybe not, who should buy them? Lumberjacks? Professional off roaders? We modify our cars and trucks and wear racing shirts but don't spend every day and night racing?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/24/17 7:09 a.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, cars are something we wear, a statement to the world. People live in a world where your boss sets your dress code and your HOA tells you what color curtains you can hang and the last sign of outward facing freedom is your transportation. Harley, Corvette, expoed Jeep, doesn't matter. It gives these poor suburban bastards a way to express themselves in a world where individualism is praised but where they'll get written up for wearing skate shoes to work and fined for painting their mailbox red.
It's less conspicuous consumption and more of a way to scream at the world "I'm not like YOU people!"
Let them have fun with their Jeeps.

mad_machine
8/24/17 8:04 a.m.

I am sure there is an HOA out there contemplating WHAT cars you can buy.. or at least how old your cars can be

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/24/17 8:24 a.m.

First off, I'm not buying one new so my opinion means nothing to FCA...

It will sell, look at the JKU. It will be priced higher than we like, but in line with a crew cab V6 4x4 mid size truck.

I'm just curious about the fate of the eco diesel, if and when it will come back.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/24/17 8:42 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I am sure there is an HOA out there contemplating WHAT cars you can buy.. or at least how old your cars can be

I've heard of that happening before with people who wanted to park a pickup truck or panel van in their driveway and the HOA objected. Usually it appears to be a problem with things that look like commercial vehicles that ruin their illusion that everyone there has a nice comfortable white collar office job.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/17 10:03 a.m.
slefain wrote: I predict they will sell like hotcakes to suburban Dad's with upper middle management jobs, who will then deck them out in Jeep "outdoor lifestyle gear" that will never see use but make them feel like they are back in their frat again. The bed will be used to haul stuff to/from kids sports practice and gigantic 96 roll bulk packs of T.P. from Costco. One day it will snow 1" in their city and they will proclaim with great authority to their wife that THIS is why they bought a four wheel drive vehicle! They will then throw it in four low and proceed to pirouette into a ditch as all four wheels scramble for traction on the actual ice that covers the road. Their neighbor will offer to give them a ride to work in their Prius V which made it up the gated neighborhood's only hill with ease. I'm not wrong...

I can tell you every first snow here, I end up helping a few people exactly like that in NOT my Land Cruiser but my wife's Prius C on studded tires.

It was spooky how close you got that.

That being said, I won't buy one of these no matter how much I want one. FCA quality I just cant do no matter how interesting the offering. Cylinder heads cracked on my '14 wrangler at 18k and I was out of a new car for 2 months while being fixed. The diesel will be plagued with the issues other small diesels are with emissions here. The bed isn't big enough for anything I need a truck for and the pricing will be around $40k I'm sure. I can find fleet 4x4 8 ft bed 6 speed Cummins Rams new for $42k on the lot here and though they are wildly different vehicles the Ram would just be way more vehicle for the money.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
8/24/17 10:37 a.m.
secretariata wrote:

Could they add a foot to the back of the box? Both to make it more useful and even it out, this reminds me of the goofy looking long bed F-150s.

mad_machine
8/24/17 11:22 a.m.

at least with the longbed 150s it was done so people don't put a craptonne of weight behind the axle.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/24/17 11:25 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again, cars are something we wear, a statement to the world. People live in a world where your boss sets your dress code and your HOA tells you what color curtains you can hang and the last sign of outward facing freedom is your transportation. Harley, Corvette, expoed Jeep, doesn't matter. It gives these poor suburban bastards a way to express themselves in a world where individualism is praised but where they'll get written up for wearing skate shoes to work and fined for painting their mailbox red. It's less conspicuous consumption and more of a way to scream at the world "I'm not like YOU people!" Let them have fun with their Jeeps.

The only problem with that logic, is that the people making that statement, at least from my experience, are people trying to do an excessive amount of self affirmation that they're the E36 M3. Subsequently it makes them look extremely foolish.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
8/24/17 12:03 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote:
secretariata wrote:
Could they add a foot to the back of the box? Both to make it more useful and even it out, this reminds me of the goofy looking long bed F-150s.

I had never noticed that until now.

The idea of paying 40g's for a jeep pickup is crazy to me. Of course I've never bought a new vehicle. I do like the concept, but I kind of like it in the "I'll build it myself from a YJ with a 4.0 for $6k" kind of way. $40k is real truck money. Give me the full size with an 8 foot bed.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
8/24/17 12:47 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: at least with the longbed 150s it was done so people don't put a craptonne of weight behind the axle.

I'd hazard a guess the primary reason was cost, the base models are built on razor thin margins and the goofy long bed truck uses the same frame/wheelbase as the more popular cab and a half short bed. Saves them producing a now rather low production dedicated long bed frame.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
8/24/17 4:25 p.m.

I'm bummed that it likely won't have a 6' bed.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/24/17 4:32 p.m.
pheller wrote: I'm bummed that it likely won't have a 6' bed.

Spyshot appears like a 5 foot bed in CCSB. They'd be smart to do a ECLB w/ 6 foot bed like other mfgs.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
8/25/17 4:58 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I am sure there is an HOA out there contemplating WHAT cars you can buy.. or at least how old your cars can be

I absolutely have read about one that banned pickup trucks.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/27/17 7:55 a.m.

NAILED_IT!!! (Insert slow-clap) They'd sell like hotcakes in my neck of the woods. They could charge an extra $15k for a "salt life" edition

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ETbs7vK83cNBikkolug090RMQ6V1mTYFJp3Zqqtdp3zWfpQu9DuBJihxZrXQFI7B