Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
8/10/12 10:38 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: scoped 10/22

10/22? Remington 597:

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/12 12:26 a.m.

.17 caliber with nylon-tipped points. Ridiculously accurate to 300 yards and enough FPS to rip those points into shrapnel.

But I'm a much bigger fan of trapping/relocating.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
8/11/12 4:51 a.m.

.17/.22 are excellent for close range from what I know, and also come with the benefit that they don't kill your ears.

.22 Mag: As above, but with a bit more punch. Still not going to kill your ears.

.30 Carbine would work for damn near anything on a property, including deer with good HP or SP ammo. Not exactly comfortable on the ears though.

.223/5.56 can be had in good, cheap bolt actions. Do everything the above will do, but faster, harder, and from longer range. Try to remember hearing protection.

7.62x39? Overkill. Ricochet possibility. Wear hearing protection.

Anything after that? Stupidly overkill, dramatically increased ricochet probabilities in close range. You're an idiot to not wear hearing protection.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/12 7:53 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: They've caught 2 of them so far.

Well Jeez, you should be able to shoot that with just about anything...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
8/11/12 8:19 a.m.

Yeah, Woody, that's why I use a 22 handgun. That's what I call trapping and relocating. Relocate them to the other side.

Came home one day and there was some guy with a truck, empty cage and about 5 kids at the corner of my property. I drove past, then went back and said: "What are you doing?" "We caught a coon in town and we're setting it free," with his chest bowed up like he's father nature in front of the kids. I said: "Now I'm gonna have to kill it." Shocked look, starting to get defensive, crew of kids looking uncomfortable. "Uh... you can get a trap from the county and bring them out of town..." "This is my front yard. They kill his" point to neighbor "chickens and tear up my porch. Don't release any more here."

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
8/11/12 9:31 a.m.

An instant kill is most humane, and huge guns are the most awesome. Therefor, logic dictates it must be:

Unfortunately, my gun:

cant shoot anything.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
8/11/12 4:05 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Use a .308 and you won't have to pick anything up. I'd offer some of the equipment out of the store for cheap, but last time someone shipped gun equipment out of StL, some douch killed a bunch of people in a theater using it.

same with a Marlin 35 ... doubt that you'd find anything worth keeping the ants from

Grizz
Grizz Dork
8/11/12 4:13 p.m.

Clearly the correct answer is to go all Il Duce on the with a vest full of various .22 caliber pistols.

You know you want too.

Make sure you record it so you can challenge GPS for awesomest pest removal video ever.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
8/11/12 7:42 p.m.

How about stick about a pound or five of tanerite in a dead chicken. Wait for coon to approach said dead chicken. When feasting begins a bullet into chicken and the coon is vaporized? Recording is a must.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
8/11/12 8:41 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Came home one day and there was some guy with a truck, empty cage and about 5 kids at the corner of my property. I drove past, then went back and said: "What are you doing?" "We caught a coon in town and we're setting it free," with his chest bowed up like he's father nature in front of the kids. I said: "Now I'm gonna have to kill it." Shocked look, starting to get defensive, crew of kids looking uncomfortable. "Uh... you can get a trap from the county and bring them out of town..." "This is my front yard. They kill his" point to neighbor "chickens and tear up my porch. Don't release any more here."

QFT. I probably won't see anymore of that in person, since the house I bought is a decrepit "McMansion" in a dying subdivision, but we sure got a lot of it when we were renting a place out in the countryside. Without a cull, the only "humane" (by clueless urban/suburban standards) solution is parachute drops in the middle of the Appalachians. Racoons aren't exactly endangered, even this old `librul has problems with tax dough paying for something like that..

whenry
whenry HalfDork
8/12/12 3:46 p.m.

There are actually very specific rules about relocating trapped 'coons. You cannot for instance take them across a body of water. Nothing is easy anymore.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
8/12/12 4:16 p.m.

why ?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
8/12/12 4:33 p.m.

Up at my moms place we have more of a recurring groundhog problem, I have been using a .22 as the neighbors (who are not close to us) are less likely to hear it and identify it as a gun.

Thinking about one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gamo-Bone-Collector-Bull-Whisper-.177-Air-Rifle/20754831 though.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/12/12 9:46 p.m.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/12 9:30 p.m.

In reply to whenry:

I'm guessing because rabid coons won't cross the water anyhow. You don't want rabies to be a bigger problem than it is.

I'm in the .22 semi-auto club. You can pick up a 10/22 for cheap, and for a few more dollars they can get sub-moa accurate.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/12 9:36 p.m.

Also- I'm betting that the FN 5.7×28mm would be good for this, but there are already better (and cheaper) suggestions in the thread.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/15/12 11:01 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Also- I'm betting that the FN 5.7×28mm would be good for this, but there are already better (and cheaper) suggestions in the thread.

I think I need some time alone now.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
8/16/12 5:07 a.m.
whenry wrote: There are actually very specific rules about relocating trapped 'coons. You cannot for instance take them across a body of water. Nothing is easy anymore.

While perhaps your area has this regulation (though I doubt it), it is not a national law or rule.

As a licenced wildlife control operator (trapper & killer for hire), I most certainly can, and do, transport racoons, and frequently do cross water while doing it.

Shoot racoon, eat the meat, sell the fur. That's a darn good solution.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
8/16/12 6:20 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Shoot racoon, eat the meat, sell the fur. That's a darn good solution.

I'm thinking shoot, and toss in the woods for the coyote's

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/16/12 7:49 a.m.
xd wrote: Mosin Nagant M44 if you can find one. Shot it and pick it up with the bayonet no need to touch it at all.

Isn't that a bit like using a track dryer to dry your hair after getting out of the shower?

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/16/12 9:57 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: Shoot racoon, eat the meat, sell the fur. That's a darn good solution.
I'm thinking shoot, and toss in the woods for the coyote's

I'm thinking shoot, and toss in the woods as coyote bait.....

xd
xd Reader
8/17/12 7:05 p.m.
bluej wrote:
xd wrote: Mosin Nagant M44 if you can find one. Shot it and pick it up with the bayonet no need to touch it at all.
Isn't that a bit like using a track dryer to dry your hair after getting out of the shower?

Nope here I made it a little better looking tie-dye red and black pics suck but it looks good in person. It was a total bitch to get all the cosmo out. She is good now.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
8/17/12 7:56 p.m.

I have found that #2 Diesel Fuel Oil dissolves commie cosmoline really well.

xd
xd Reader
8/17/12 11:03 p.m.

I actually ended up steaming it out. then still wasn't satisfied so I built a cosmo oven out of a trash can and some 100w light bulbs. Then bleached the stock.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6vBEZ3Y5aHbCHr2p6vNPbsRDF9ICXarTHTePWfcabonXzJj78AoFbQpkemCiJDjp