1 2
pheller
pheller PowerDork
9/22/17 9:33 a.m.

An interesting thing I've noticed in this thread is that most of the great MPG numbers posted are coming from manual models. 

In the old Frontier chassis, that's not surprising. I'd think it's automatic wouldn't be great.

The surprise is with the newer Tacoma. I'd think the newer automatics would be as efficient if not more so. 

In any case, I think my days of owning a manual trans truck are over, as my wife doesn't like the shifty bits on a big vehicle like that, especially offroad. 

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/22/17 9:44 a.m.

In reply to pheller :

The auto Tacoma outdoes the manual by about 3MPG on the interstate. I don't think it has anything to do with a smart transmission though - the manual has a 4.30 final where the auto has 3.90 gears. The individual ratios are also shorter in 5 and 6 on the 6MT.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/17 10:59 a.m.

I think I need to give one of these a try, on paper at least the Frontier seems to suit my needs for an XJ replacement just about perfectly. Tacoma too, but the Taco tax makes buying one used poor value and I'd really rather not have a payment on a new $35k truck.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
9/22/17 11:36 a.m.

Chiming in on the Frontier. The base model fleet truck AC goes from 80-fridge in quite a short time. The 4 cylinder/auto trans combo is just as bleh as it sounds, perfectly adequate for in town parts runner duty the ones at work get used for, but I don't think I'd go anywhere near a trailer with it. I'd probably be able to live with a V6/auto 2wd with power windows. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/22/17 12:50 p.m.
Furious_E said:

I think I need to give one of these a try, on paper at least the Frontier seems to suit my needs for an XJ replacement just about perfectly. Tacoma too, but the Taco tax makes buying one used poor value and I'd really rather not have a payment on a new $35k truck.

As I mentioned on the previous page, you will pay nowhere near MSRP on a Frontier. I'd bet you a tasty hamburger you can get a loaded 4wd V6 Frontier for at or below $30k.

And since I'm from Oklahoma, I'll have an onion burger. smiley

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/17 3:27 p.m.

That does indeed seem to be the case, even the decked out Pro Forks models seem to be listing under $30k pretty consistently. 

The used market is even more enticing. There's an 05 extended cab 4x4 manual V6 with 120k listed at $6800. I bet a comparable Taco would be asking fully double that. 

And what is an onion burger? Sounds tasty...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/22/17 4:05 p.m.
Furious_E said:

That does indeed seem to be the case, even the decked out Pro Forks models seem to be listing under $30k pretty consistently. 

The used market is even more enticing. There's an 05 extended cab 4x4 manual V6 with 120k listed at $6800. I bet a comparable Taco would be asking fully double that. 

And what is an onion burger? Sounds tasty...

The onion burger is an OK invention back in the dust bowl ages. Meat was pricey, onions were cheap. So to stretch out the beef a bit, they grilled in a ton of onions with the beef. 

Pickles, mustard, onion beef, and bun. It's really insanely delicious. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vym-tdcoseA

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/17 9:30 p.m.

We finally had a chance to test drive a new Frontier today, 2017 SV 2wd king cab automatic, and it didn't quite live up to my hopes. 

First, I think the back seat area is just too small to haul our menagerie if/when we should need to evacuate for a hurricane. We'd likely get a topper for the bed, but it could get insufferably/fatally hot back there during summers. Second, it was sloooow - not that I'm looking to win any drag races, but it was much slower than our minivan with just the 4 of us inside. Towing a car on a trailer would suck. 

It looked somewhat cheap inside, which I expected and don't necessarily mind, though it felt very solid, rode smoothly, and was quiet inside. 

However, a blue Rogue Sport caught SWMBO's attention, and we both really liked it after a test drive. I'd need to find a used truck/van to tow & haul our stuff(though there's enough room inside the Rogue for our critters), then we might consider picking up one for her. 

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/14/17 10:46 p.m.

Slow? Must have been a 4cyl, or is your minivan also an R63?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/17 5:42 a.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

V6 - the salesman kept going on & on about what an awesome engine it was. Our minivan is a '14 T&C, so ~285hp/4600lbs, which is comparable to the Frontier. 

A quick search shows the Frontier's 0-60 listed as 7.3 seconds though vs. the T&C's 7.5 seconds, so it should have been close. 

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/17 12:33 p.m.

I am perplexed that you said the Frontier values hold well. I find Toyota trucks hold their value much better that Nissans.  (Still riding on the 22re, solid front axles nostalgia and reputation of 30 year old trucks)

I cross shopped Frontiers but I don't think you can get a 4 cylinder 4wd manual transmission Frontier, while you can with the Tacoma and at least around here, that's the one most people want.

Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Vracer111 :

Thanks! Always glad to hear more owner experiences. 

I've been doing a bit of research and found that some early years of this generation had problems with the radiator failing internally and allowing coolant/trans fluid to mix, thus killing the transmission, However, those complaints seemed to stop by 2012 or before.

I think  adding a trans cooler as preventative maintenance fixes that problem easily.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
khaFvUOzqcjV8dJEdqwRiEQl3sYousw9lNpBJUWa3o8WM67uMSIxoq88JQe67tgE