1 2
pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
4/28/11 1:31 p.m.

I learned about asparagus on my grand parents farm, they had a 7 acre patch. The little skinny ones, pixies, are tougher and not as tasty as the big fat ones. Freshness makes a big difference in the taste and texture. The base where it is snapped off should be moist, if it is dry it is several days old at least. If it is over cooked it becomes stringy. I will check with my family for more recipes. A meal of freshly caught trout, asparagus, morel mushrooms and fiddleheads is hard to beat.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
4/28/11 1:41 p.m.

Not a recipe, but very tasty.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/11 1:44 p.m.

Hot skillet, touch of peanut oil, no salt to cook (that keeps more water in them). At the end sprinkle with your favorite yellow curry powder and just a bit of rice flour. Finish them up by cooking until the rice flour browns. Add salt before serving.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
4/28/11 1:54 p.m.

In reply to curtis73:

I am trying that.

chuckles
chuckles Reader
4/28/11 2:04 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Yuck. Makes your urine smell awful.

Old story about Babe Ruth, might even be true: He's at a formal dinner and the very proper hostess offers him asparagus. The Babe politely replies: "No, thank you ma'm, it makes my urine smell."

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/28/11 2:04 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

I hate asparagus. It doesn't have alchohol in it and it's not sweeet.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
4/28/11 3:44 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: A meal of freshly caught trout, asparagus, morel mushrooms and fiddleheads is hard to beat.

This statement caused me to look at the city in your profile.
My grandfather used to grow fresh Asparagus in his home garden in Boyne City, MI. I too have had this meal!

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
4/28/11 3:55 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

The asparagus farm is near Byron, southwest of Flint. My other grandfather has a 1/2 section of forest near Mio, where I get the morels and fiddleheads, the trout come from small cricks nearby.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
4/28/11 9:46 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
pilotbraden wrote: A meal of freshly caught trout, asparagus, morel mushrooms and fiddleheads is hard to beat.
This statement caused me to look at the city in your profile. My grandfather used to grow fresh Asparagus in his home garden in Boyne City, MI. I too have had this meal!

Sounds great. I'll be going to my Morel spot in a little more than a week and can't wait. Perch with fiddleheads, ramps, and morels, cooked in a butter sauce. I haven't seen any asparagus around, but I'll start looking now.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
4/29/11 6:17 a.m.

Wow! 2 pages and 34 replies. Certainly a better response than I hoped for. You know, posting about a semi-obscure vegetable on a car forum and all. As usual, the diverse and sophisticated GRM bunch do not disappoint!

I went the steamed, salted and buttered route last night. I didn't get to eat as much as I wanted because the kids helped finish it off. Gonna try the next bunch pan-fried.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
4/29/11 6:24 a.m.

Tempura, with Japanese soy sauce for dipping.

I like the olive oil in the oven method just as much, with a little lemon juice after cooking.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
4/29/11 7:37 a.m.

Steam or blanch it, then drizzle on Rice Vinegar and Sesame Oil.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/29/11 8:32 a.m.

I processed fresh asparagus for 3 years. When I say I've moved close to 40 tons of it by hand, I'm not exaggerating.

Needless to say, the ONLY times I will eat it, is the aforementioned pickled variety soaking in a cold beer.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GYRGgk7fszBFxwqEeZYZtsinATEGiYR40SB4syQdjPOiIiGVGDr12AR8JMbXQ4Jl