1 2 3
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock PowerDork
8/15/15 6:36 p.m.

I've been sitting here thinking and I can't think of anyplace I want to go. I think I've lost the luster for life.

Wherever you go, take some cool pictures and post them here.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
8/15/15 6:37 p.m.

My sister's bakery/cafe has been up and running in Belgium for a year now, so visiting her would be top of my list. I'd also head over to Germany and rent a car for a Ring Lap or two, and try to time it all to pick up a MotoGP race.
If you do end up in Belgium, let me know, I can hook you up with wood fired oven pizza that will change your life.

crewperson
crewperson New Reader
8/15/15 6:46 p.m.

Amsterdam, then rent a car and tour northern Europe.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/15/15 9:09 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: My sister's bakery/cafe has been up and running in Belgium for a year now, so visiting her would be top of my list. I'd also head over to Germany and rent a car for a Ring Lap or two, and try to time it all to pick up a MotoGP race. If you do end up in Belgium, let me know, I can hook you up with wood fired oven pizza that will change your life.

Will do.

At this point I think it's narrowing down to Europe or Japan. My dad just text'd me to make sure I have a passport (I do) so I'm thinking this may be a once in a lifetime trip if I can get my dad to come with me. Seriously cool dude.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
8/15/15 9:37 p.m.

Rally Wales (or Rally GB as it used to be called).

Only picked that because Rally Finland is already completed.

I would love to see a real WRC rally in one of those two countries!

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
8/15/15 9:40 p.m.

If you can afford the ticket from here to south east Asia and back the rest of the trip in the area and hopping around is surprisingly inexpensive! A good friend currently living in Tokyo just got a round trip flight to the Philippines for $64. Food and accommodations can easily be under $20-$25

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/15/15 10:07 p.m.

I would head straight to greece with a big fistfull of American cash. In fact we are going to do just that next summer. Spent a fabulous summer in the islands years ago and pining to go back ever since.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
8/15/15 11:08 p.m.

I'm surprised I'm the first one to vote this way, but definitely Central and South America. Buy a cheap wagon/SUV/van and see how far south you can get. It's definitely on my bucket list.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
8/15/15 11:11 p.m.

Alaska, British Columbia and lots of Europe.

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/15 11:40 p.m.

The two places/trips topping my list are a trip up the Pacific Coast Highway in a LS swapped C4 Corvette as well as a trip to Cuba.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/16/15 6:59 a.m.

In your shoes, I would head down to Rio for two weeks and then grab a flight to NZ for a self drive trip for as long as I could make it last.

If you need time to think and overcome, stay home and walk the Appalachian Trail.

The most laid back vacation I can think of involves time on Culebra Isalnd off the coast of PR. It is the antithesis of a resort and I loved it.

China is still worth visiting. The place is unreal in so many ways.

Right now, Greece can be a bargain. A week or two cruising the islands would be a great way to spend time with your Dad.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/16/15 7:23 a.m.

My list includes:

• Ireland
  • Germany
  • Alaska

Just got home from touring the New England area with the family. Bar Harbor, Maine was beautiful and I could have spend a couple more days there.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/16/15 8:01 a.m.

Someone else already said Greenland. This was my other browser tab when I found your post:

https://goo.gl/maps/rt4Jv

I'm also looking at the White Rim Trail in Moab, where just about any 4 wheel drive "high clearance vehicle" can make it through. It's a little more overland, and a little less rock-climby.

Oh, and I've put a lot of time into researching the Dalton Highway in Alaska. It's mostly dirt, in the middle of nowhere, from Fairbanks up to Dead Horse, where you can visit the Arctic Ocean and dip in a toe.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
8/16/15 10:12 a.m.

South east asia for a place that isn't completely touristy yet. It is quickly becoming like that so now is the time to go.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
8/16/15 10:22 a.m.

My first choice would be Japan. Honorable mentions go to Australia/NZ and Germany.

Gary
Gary Dork
8/16/15 11:25 a.m.

My bucket list includes doing one of the HERO events in the UK (Historic Endurance Rally Organization). They even have vintage sports cars that you can rent for the event, making it "arrive and drive." And if your Dad goes along you'd have a co-driver. LeJog is their toughest event (Lands End to John O'Groats) in early December. That'd be quite an experience. But they have easier events like Scottish Malts in the Spring, which is a relatively easy tour of a number of distilleries in Scotland. The price of admission includes hotel, meals, etc.

http://www.heroevents.eu/

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
8/16/15 11:27 a.m.

Vietnam/Cambodia. Your dollars will go a long way there.

Philippines? Vacation like a King!

skierd
skierd SuperDork
8/16/15 12:43 p.m.

A little reality check for two of the Alaska posts...

1) you can't drive your personal vehicle in to Denali National Park on the Park Road, you have to either take a park service bus in/out or fly in and take the bus out. It is 100000% worth it, especially once you've seen how badly people drive rental RVs and think how badly they'd clog the road, crash, etc. You can walk or I think bicycle in however.

2) the ride up the Dalton Highway is amazing, and I'll never discourage anyone from trying it who's prepared and not on two wheels when it's still snowing, but at the end it, in Deadhorse (which is less of a town and more a large industrial oil production and pipeline complex), you'll still be about 8 miles from the ocean and you're not allowed to go any further. Past the gates at the end of the highway is all private oil fields, wells, and development and the public is not allowed. You can fly in to Barrow though, had a friend who did that just to jump in the ocean and flew back home the same day. Keep in mind too that there's really nothing on the Dalton. No services except at the Yukon River Bridge (maybe) 125 miles out from Fairbanks and at Coldfoot, 250 miles up and halfway to Deadhorse. There's gas and a NAPA in Deadhorse. There's a small camp in Wiseman near Coldfoot too. Between wiseman and Deadhorse? Straight wilderness. Do it, but be prepared.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
8/16/15 12:44 p.m.

If I ever find myself newly divorced and flush with cash, I'll finish the round the world motorcycle trip I started with my move to Alaska.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/16/15 1:26 p.m.

Iran.

It hasn't really been possible in the past and the skiing is supposed to be up there with Utah.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/15 2:02 p.m.

I'm starting to rethink down under. I just realized what happens in October?

Bathurst 1000.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/16/15 2:26 p.m.

Fly to southern Spain. Rent a motorbike. Buy a tent and gear. Use hostels when you need a shower. Ride along the Mediterranean sea thru Spain, France and Italy making inroads to see what you want to see. Then, into Austria, back across northern France before tackling all of Germany and a stop in Prague. Go north, fly home from Copenhagen. It should only take 4-5 weeks.

Not that I've given it much thought ;)

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/16/15 2:42 p.m.

In two weeks I am flying into Berlin where I have a motorcycle waiting for me. I am off to Copenhagen, then Oslo via the bridge connecting Denmark/Sweden. From there going to Stockholm and then down to catch a ferry to Gdynia (Poland) from Karlskrona (Sweden). From there I make my way back to Berlin probably through Warsaw to return the motorcycle.

I'll let you know how that goes but at least the above is the idea as nothing is set in stone.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/15 2:48 p.m.

^Keep us updated!

G. P. Snorklewacker wrote: Fly to southern Spain. Rent a motorbike. Buy a tent and gear. Use hostels when you need a shower. Ride along the Mediterranean sea thru Spain, France and Italy making inroads to see what you want to see. Then, into Austria, back across northern France before tackling all of Germany and a stop in Prague. Go north, fly home from Copenhagen. It should only take 4-5 weeks. Not that I've given it much thought ;)

This sounds berkeleying amazing. Not really something I had considered, not sure if I could do 4-5 weeks gone, got an idea for 2 weeks?

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/16/15 3:00 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: got an idea for 2 weeks?

Ride faster!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LwYF3ipuJpHGdVrgT8tB68qbzueW53YLlwyXItZcMJQpJzxm0IEy0h6FPlb4jXC5