1 2
DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
12/4/13 9:49 p.m.

Thank you for sharing! This made me very happy.

For some reason I've been thinking about MGB-GT's for the past few weeks and interesting swaps. The GM Atlas I6 keeps coming to mind. I wonder how much they weigh? And why a new and from what I understand good engine was only used in a handful of SUV's and never made it to the full size trucks while the old 4.3 V6 labored on (never liked driving in vehicles with the 4.3 i know it works well but it "felt ugly" to me)

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/4/13 9:55 p.m.

In reply to DanyloS: why use the atlas i6 when so many better i6's have been done? There's a few of these running around with 2jz's in them.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
12/5/13 7:47 a.m.

The only thing about an I6 in a MGB is the length, engine compartment isn't as long as it looks. Not sure any of the OHC motors will fit under the hood, the MGC had a I6 but it was a pushrod motor.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/5/13 7:54 a.m.

I6 motors are sweet torquey things but suffer from boat-anchor-ness and all the really desirable ones have giant heads and a slant that makes them wide too.

The choice of the 3800 is good for packaging, weight distribution and so on although I have no love for that particular engine. No hate either though. My dad had a buick with that mill and was not unpleasant in a much heavier car... but still, for the sake of another 6 inches that could have been an LS motor in there.

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
12/5/13 8:30 a.m.

In reply to yamaha: Just a recurring thought. Figure the atlas is easy/cheap to find being a truck motor it makes good power stock and at 4.2l in a light weight english body it would be a goofy interpretation of a modern TVR.

I thought these originally came with an I6/I4 as well.

No hate on the 3800, got amazing mileage @ 80+mph in a mid 90's buick while driving to back and forth to college years ago. Just feel like the I6 would be nicer

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/5/13 8:47 a.m.

The 3800 will move a schoolbus... I think it will move a BGT pretty well, even without a blower.

Oh, and the color doesn't bother me in the slightest.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
12/5/13 12:24 p.m.
DanyloS wrote: In reply to yamaha: Just a recurring thought. Figure the atlas is easy/cheap to find being a truck motor it makes good power stock and at 4.2l in a light weight english body it would be a goofy interpretation of a modern TVR. I thought these originally came with an I6/I4 as well.

I4, I5 and I6. I seem to recall it was based on an old Jaguar engine, but I cannot verify that now.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/5/13 1:02 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Are you talking about the MGB or the TVR? TVR's came with a multitude of engines over the years, including MG, Triumph, Ford, and later their own designs, although I don't remember them ever using an i5. The most popular early cars, the 2500M's, came with the TR-6 i6, which as nice sounding and smooth as it was, was just a tractor engine, with not a lot of performance potential.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
12/5/13 1:20 p.m.

I am waiting to hear back on a couple of jobs, but if one of the higher paying ones gets the nod I am calling on this green beast.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/5/13 1:21 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Don't blame you. It looks like it could be a great buy.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/5/13 8:11 p.m.

Good luck, man!

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
12/5/13 8:16 p.m.

Deleted... Thank God. I don't need this temptation.

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
12/7/13 7:53 p.m.

I don't know whether I'm happy or sad this is gone, I was enjoying watching it and daydreaming of buying it, shipping it here, and painting it dark blue.

PHerder
PHerder New Reader
12/8/13 8:08 p.m.

In reply to CLynn85:

I was only ~ 200 miles from it and had a VERY hard time resisting it. BTW, I raced a Kawasaki H2 750 triple back in the '70s. Yes it was LIME GREEN just like this car. Wouldn't change the color at all.

BTW, this was the second time it was listed on Craigslist. It might return...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
36WkNFfZFsw6Xpig2fGjYTYPHVGGgtkyasF0EAxoA1DkINLYC64XeNzmcRVCPdIG