foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/28/11 6:06 a.m.

http://www.me.berkeley.edu/one_wheel_vehicle/

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/28/11 6:35 a.m.

Is that the place to be when the retread blows?

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/28/11 7:06 a.m.

Not quite as simple as it appears. Gyros for stability included I doubt it goes fater than low speeds (that is, after all, a tractor tire). A lot of thought went into this. The history channel had a piece recently on a one-wheel vechicle like this, and it, too had a gyro: a 100 lbs small one at the head ot the vehicle tor stabilizization; HOWEVER, it lacked a a second gyro, as this one has, for devoted soley to "left to right" (there is a word), level stabilization. If this was a color pic, and a nicely painted machine, it would probably have received more attention. Yeah, presentation.... Still monocycles are fascinating. Especially the ones you sit in. I'd love to try one.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/11 7:54 a.m.

I could have some fun on that road...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/28/11 8:17 a.m.

Look at the video. He's got it moving along at what looks like 40 mph in a number of shots.

The video is interesting because it shows two different platforms. The later one is a much larger two seater, and has some interesting handling difficulties.

http://www.me.berkeley.edu/one_wheel_vehicle/Movie.htm

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
7/28/11 8:47 a.m.

On one level, one-wheelers strike me as a solution looking for a problem.

But I've got to admit this guy has a very impressive solution.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
7/28/11 2:01 p.m.

With more ground clearance, you could roll over almost anything on one of those.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
7/28/11 2:51 p.m.

Watch the most recent episode of American Pickers. It's got a lot of one wheeler drag racing footage.

Unicycle drag racing!

alex
alex SuperDork
7/31/11 11:57 a.m.

Y'know, if he put some more wheels at the corners of that rig, it would be a lot more stable.

alex
alex SuperDork
7/31/11 11:59 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: Watch the most recent episode of American Pickers. It's got a lot of one wheeler drag racing footage. Unicycle drag racing!

Y'know, if they put a wheel on the front with some sort of manually-controllable pivot, they could even steer those things.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dFsj2KLZYSLelw9tYN2KpBaWsZ2JrE7qkJAL3ejM51NPPxlPesE7tsvuKt3Pt8oL