gustavowoltmann01
gustavowoltmann01
12/10/16 5:28 a.m.

Hi everyone my name is Gustavo Woltmann and I am working in a publishers office. I have a Toyota Corolla 1994 Gli Automatic car. My problem is everytime we use the car for almost 2 hours, the engine shuts down by itself leaving the aircon and lights on. I have tried replacing the MAF sensor and Aircon actuator. Battery is new as well and also the alternator. Can you help me identify the problem?

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/10/16 2:49 p.m.

In order to help start to find the issue, a little more information about exactly what happens when the car shuts down would be helpful. Does it sputter before dying? Are the driving conditions when it dies consistent, in other words, are you idling at a traffic light, accelerating, suddenly lifting off the gas? It might also help to know what happens after it dies. Does it restart after cycling the ignition key? If it restarts, how does it run? Is it totally dead and gets towed home?

These intermittent problems can be tricky to diagnose. I had a Corolla that used to die every once in a great while, and it baffled me for a long time. I finally focused on the conditions under which it occured, and realized it happened most while upshifting in lower gears while accelerating hard, or else on the backside of speed bumps or harsh potholes. There was a slight break in one the wires in the engine harness which was held in a position by the bundle of the rest of the harness. The broken wire still made contact most of the time, but when the engine rocked forward slightly from the torque of sudden decel or over bumps, the connection broke and the car died.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kq6vVf7ZRhCB8FwdFsH3h8j7kkfWUSRjnat978PTkC9fz2od8MfIGKk2nNKnHA7E