1 2
darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
3/2/24 1:58 a.m.

So I realized that due to procrastination and my automotive focus (and heart) being elsewhere, my intended Challenge entry (an XR4TI) was unlikely to be done to a level I'd find acceptable.  So instead, I've made the incredibly misguided decision to attempt to bring my 1970 Mustang Mach 1 instead. This is a car I bought when I was 15 in 1988, and that has essentially been off the road since the mid 1990s. To add insult to injury, I tore the car apart, and left it to sit outside as a half disassembled shell for the last 10+ years.

Well, in December, I decided I needed it back in my life and back on the road and was immediately overwhelmed by how much it had deteriorated, and how much needed to be done and redone. So I began working on it without real direction and ended up obsessing over dumb stuff and running into setbacks. But yesterday, March 1, in a bit of a panic and a fit of delusion I made this decision that this is the car I'm going to bring to the Challenge.

Anyway, I've posted the first Challenge prep vid for anyone interested. I'll be sharing more as I work to get this car to the Challenge. Wish me luck!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/24 7:03 a.m.

Awesome.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
3/2/24 7:32 a.m.

In reply to darkbuddha :

This is incredibly ambitious and dumb. 

But I love it!!!

Subscribed and will be cheering for you!

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/24 10:56 a.m.

My favorite Mustang!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/2/24 1:31 p.m.

Qualifies for the "Eternal Optimist" trophy if you pull it off or not!

Watching

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/2/24 5:50 p.m.

gogogogo!

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
3/4/24 10:42 a.m.

Following this for SURE ! ! ! I

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
3/5/24 12:02 a.m.

Quick update: I'm making small amounts of progress. It's probably less than I need to be making, but when I made this decision, I was already into a couple of things too deep to skip over, so that stuff has to get done before I start into the truly essential and functionally important stuff. Anyway, I'll be posting a video tomorrow.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/24 9:48 a.m.

I've owned a few early Mustangs, but never a '69-70. Does the cowl actually unbolt from these cars? Are they subject to the same cowl leaks and front floor rust of the earlier cars?

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
3/6/24 1:43 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I've owned a few early Mustangs, but never a '69-70. Does the cowl actually unbolt from these cars? Are they subject to the same cowl leaks and front floor rust of the earlier cars?

Yes and no. There is an top cowl cover panel that does unbolt, but the actual upper cowl is still welded in place. So while you do have better access to the cowl vent area, it still collects garbage and eventually rusts. That's actually one of the things I was in the middle of: removing rust and patching holes in the cowl vent area and door hinge pillars using epoxy. This was one of the things I was initially dejected about, finding all the rust that has developed as the car sat over the years. But I'm getting it sorted (or at least sorted enough for who it's for) now. If it turns out to bother me or I get a bee in my bonnet, I'll do it properly and cut it all out and actually replace the panels. But for now, it's been stripped, etched, patched, and treated, and shouldn't leak any time soon.

Also, the floors were replaced and/or patched 23 years ago and haven't rusted since. The subframes where the connectors were welded on the other hand, are not good. Plan is to strip it, treat it, and patch it with good steel. Not proper restoration quality, but functionally and structurally adequate.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
3/7/24 10:03 p.m.

Spent the day reflecting on some stuff that had me bummed, but am feeling more optimistic again. Genuinely hoping I can keep this going even in challenging circumstances. In that spirit, new video is up:

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/8/24 5:45 a.m.

I really hope to see this there!

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
3/10/24 12:25 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I really hope to see this there!

I'm doing my darn'dest...

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
3/10/24 11:19 a.m.

Next year or any time in between would be quite acceptable as well!

Dusterbd13-michael
3/10/24 1:44 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Next year or any time in between would be quite acceptable as well!

Couldn't have said it any better 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/24 2:28 p.m.

At worst please make sure that YOU are there. 

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
3/10/24 4:59 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

At worst please make sure that YOU are there. 

That is a definite! I'm registered, scheduled, booked, and determined. And I appreciate everyone's words of encouragement and support. Thanks.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
3/12/24 9:39 p.m.

Making bits of progress and moved onto mechanical today by removing the exhaust and old trans. Doing this stuff solo means trying to be smart about it and McGuyvering stuff as needed. So far, so good, and no injuries, which is pretty good.

I'm also uploading another video tonight, but its content was shot back in December (before I decided to attempt to take this to the Challenge) and it's just me rambling on about the car's past and its current condition after looking it over for the first time in over a decade. It ain't pretty, but I knew that'd be true going in. And in the 3 months since, I've dealt with some of it already. Not sharing the link since it's not related to my GRM-prep push, but it'll be up tonight if anyone cares to watch.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
3/14/24 1:58 p.m.

Engine is in.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/14/24 2:00 p.m.

Hell yeah!!

DasAuto
DasAuto GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/24 3:06 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha :

I enjoyed your first 3 videos

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
3/14/24 5:04 p.m.
DasAuto said:

In reply to darkbuddha :

I enjoyed your first 3 videos

Only the first 3? Lol. I'm glad to hear that someone is enjoying any of them at all. Thanks for watching and letting me know.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
3/14/24 5:20 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha :

We're all cheering 📣 for you 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
3/14/24 6:49 p.m.

I've enjoyed watching as well.  If I were closer I'd offer to help!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IvgOCU9JuiTn48LryRLygITwFQmS8ZIwUi7hwum5WaNDpLsJvQG5zAdMrC5XsVsZ