Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
4/8/24 5:50 p.m.

I learned cheapy flux core welders don't have enough umph to reliably modify a sway bar .

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/24 5:54 p.m.

I learned that when I'm dead tired it's very easy to hook the positive to the negative lead on a fuel pump and vise versa.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/24 7:17 p.m.

I learned my clutch was my driveline fuse.

Film at 11.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/24 7:22 p.m.

I also learned that a_flordia_man can have no clutch, sitting on the side of the road, and still smile as he gives a thumbs up.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
4/9/24 1:21 p.m.

We learned that a bent frame can be straightened at the Challenge. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/24 9:22 p.m.

Part broken: Spark plugs, by blackening

What I learned: An engine will run decently with a mixture rich enough to severely foul the plugs long enough for a few autocross runs but will be sputtering by the time drag runs start.

Part broken: High-pressure PS line

What I learned: Not even self-vulcanizing tape and a bunch of hose clamps will patch a hose meant to hold 4-digit PSI.

Part broken: Exhaust frontpipe

What I learned: You may have noticed that exhausts often crack open somewhere the first time they're used on track. If you suspected that it was cheap and/or custom-built pieces at fault, well it happens to brand-name big-money pieces too. Also if your exhaust seems to be slowly getting louder over time, it may not be packing blowing out, it may be pinholes opening up that could soon join into a crack:

Only slightly Challenge-related but:

Part broken: The infamous Toyobaru left inner CV

What I learned: When a RWD CV axle starts making clicking sounds going between accel and decel, that's not the first warning sign, it's the last.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/24 11:17 a.m.

broken part: connecting rod bearing(s)?

what i learned:  my wife is cool.  last night during my event recap she said "when are you going to fix it?"

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
4/11/24 10:28 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Will you be able to fix it and stay within the budget or are fixes to parts/items already in place and budgeted for exempt? I noticed that you ended up dangerously close to the budget limit in the end, without a lot of room left over for an engine repair and parts.

"inal* budget per 2024 rules: $1,962.18"

Wondering for myself as I'm in the middle of an air cooled powered "entry" that will surely blow the engine sooner than later over the course of the event or during pre-testing. Thanks—

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/24 10:51 a.m.

You can replace the engine with the same, or rebuild the engine.  

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/24 10:53 a.m.

I blew up my engine in a similar fashion to Angry in December.  I rebuilt it with as many original parts as possible.  I only bought new gaskets and crank and rod bearings.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/24 11:12 a.m.

Yep, will tear down and clean and inspect. Replacement parts will be stock performance level only, not gonna slip a stroker kit in there while it's apart.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/11/24 12:45 p.m.

Yeah whatever!  laugh

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/24 2:38 p.m.

I learned in 2019 that the stock intake manifold of a 2003 Infiniti G35 does not evenly distribute a 150hp wet shot

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mJIVZBXRCwCFBhlnfLWw9p9fc4NQrG7dckSoQY3RGe9ii5DMOQOHxABle9fM92tX