1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Duder
Duder New Reader
11/23/17 1:05 a.m.

Core support isn't rusted out, but was full of trash and debris including some sort of terrible old sock or rag between the grille and back panel. There's quite a pocket in there for stuff to collect and hide and fester over the years. We just got lucky since it's usually so dry here in So-Cal that the debris was crusty but not wet.

Dan G
Dan G Dork
11/23/17 1:39 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Hey Pat, I think you are looking for me! I am about as loosely connected to this build as you can be. Like an almost silent partner. But there's still some eVil influence behind the scenes. Chris Duder here and I are team mates on the lemons cars.

Been a LONG time since I've been on the GRM forum. I'll have to snoop around to see what everyone has been up to lately!

Dammit
Dammit New Reader
11/24/17 5:31 a.m.

Great to see you/your work here Duder- one of the people I've missed from my (self-imposed) exile from T-bricks. 

Duder
Duder New Reader
11/24/17 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Dammit :

Hey, thanks man! I still frequent TB but try to ignore the off-topic forum and not get sucked down that wormhole...

Were you a FWD Volvo guy? Our family truckster now is a V60 Cross Country with the final 5-cylinder T5 engine and it's great. I'm a fan now. Always been a 240 guy though.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/25/17 6:12 p.m.

In reply to Dan G :

That's the Duder I was thinking of.  It was the Lemons connection that made me think he was you.

Dammit
Dammit New Reader
11/26/17 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Duder :

Yep, this is me:

Although I am looking to swap it for an M5 Touring, hopefully this side of Christmas - ironically because the 850R is now a valuable classic and I'm getting too precious to leave it in the airport car park for weeks on end.

Duder
Duder New Reader
11/27/17 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Dammit :

Very cool. It is ironic that a '90s Volvo is now a valuable classic!

What generation of M5 are you looking at? I have a 1993 (E34) but it's just the lowly sedan (saloon) since we never had the pleasure of receiving the Touring here in the States. Although many have now imported them, they are well above sedan prices...like at least 3x for otherwise comparable cars.

I'm selling my M5 as I'm realizing I'm more of a Volvo guy and want to concentrate on my three 240s!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/17 9:35 a.m.
Duder said:

In reply to Dammit :

Very cool. It is ironic that a '90s Volvo is now a valuable classic!

What generation of M5 are you looking at? I have a 1993 (E34) but it's just the lowly sedan (saloon) since we never had the pleasure of receiving the Touring here in the States. Although many have now imported them, they are well above sedan prices...like at least 3x for otherwise comparable cars.

I'm selling my M5 as I'm realizing I'm more of a Volvo guy and want to concentrate on my three 240s!

Do I want to know how much you are trying to get for the e34 M5? Probably more than I should or could do, but I can't help bust ask. 

Duder
Duder New Reader
11/28/17 11:08 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

It's hard to judge value on these things, because prices are kind of all over the place. I think it's worth somewhere in the mid-to-high teens, judging from similar examples sold on Bring a Trailer recently. It has 36k miles on a full engine rebuild, and is making about 350hp (315 at the wheels). Passes CA smog. Let me know if you want more details; I'd be glad to send them!

Recent picture with my wife's 2002:

java230
java230 SuperDork
11/28/17 12:09 p.m.

Very cool, I liked the crown Hic build,  but they sure made it look a lot easier!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/17 12:41 p.m.
Duder said:

In reply to AWSX1686 :

It's hard to judge value on these things, because prices are kind of all over the place. I think it's worth somewhere in the mid-to-high teens, judging from similar examples sold on Bring a Trailer recently. It has 36k miles on a full engine rebuild, and is making about 350hp (315 at the wheels). Passes CA smog. Let me know if you want more details; I'd be glad to send them!

Recent picture with my wife's 2002:

Ohh, that's hot. Beautiful car! I think you're probably reasonable on price, possibly a bit high, depending. I'd love it, but I definitely can't swing that right now. Thanks though!

Dammit
Dammit New Reader
11/28/17 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Duder :

E61 - the five litre V10 estate car. I feel that it's a worthy successor to the 850R. Fuel economy is very similar (the 850 is running around 370 bhp).

I still want a 240 estate, however!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/17 9:13 p.m.

Hi! Excellent build. I love the hrg episodes and think this is a wonderful idea.

However, I'm currently building a fiat x19 with chain drive gsxr power- got any pics of the mr2 or a build you can point me to? I would love to see it!

Duder
Duder New Reader
11/29/17 2:24 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

We are all about making things look exactly as difficult as they actually are.

Duder
Duder New Reader
11/29/17 2:45 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

You bet. Keep an eye out, you can find project-grade E34 M5s for much less still. This one had some needs when I picked it up; I guess they all do to some extent, but I was happy to improve the car and enjoy it along the way. Now I'll be happy to let someone else be the next steward for a while...

In reply to Dammit :

Ah, that V10 is amazing. Nice choice!

In reply to Robbie :

I'm sorry and wish you a speedy recovery from your chain-driven Italian illness :-)

We don't really have a build thread for the MR2, but there are quite a few photos and some videos on the team facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing/

You'll have to scroll back a few years in the photos to see the MR2 stuff. We bought the car with a ZX14R installed already (seller told us it was a ZX11...) but not sorted. The cooling system, spool position, axles, and charging system all needed work to have any hope of surviving endurance races. The guy who built our car set up the chain drive in a clever way - he built a rigid "swingarm" off the back of the main hoop of the cage, which doesn't swing as on a bike, but acts as a solid mounting point for a spool from a side-by-side ATV, to which the sprocket is mounted. From there he made adapters such that the stock MR2 half-shafts can bolt up to the spool, but they are swapped side-to-side (short axle is now on passenger side). The rear suspension is all stock. Originally the spool wasn't mounted far enough rearward in the former engine bay, which we call the "chain bay." The CV angles were too great and caused an in-race failure which led us to convert the car to 1 wheel drive temporarily to finish the race. That was sketchy! Any acceleration would cause the car to pull to the right, and any deceleration jerked it back to the left. At any rate we ended up extending the spool mount, lengthening the chain, shortening the axle adapters, and thereby decreasing the CV angles and keeping them alive. Cooling system was woefully undersized with a bike radiator, so we installed a Volvo 960 rad & electric fan in v-mount configuration under the hood, where the frunk used to be. We made some ducting out of a discarded urethane bumper cover from a Camaro to direct all air into the rad. Then cut some outlet holes in the hood. With the e-fan pulling many amps, plus fuel pump and a vacuum pump for the brake booster, the charging system from the bike couldn't keep up with demand. So we adapted a Denso 100A alternator from a Volvo 940 to the rear axle. We drive it with a v-belt via a custom pulley sized to keep the alternator speed as high as possible, and we spin the alternator backwards. It charges as long is the car is moving more than about 5mph and works great. It's hooked up to the battery completely in parallel with the original bike charging system so we didn't actually remove anything there.

Duder
Duder New Reader
11/29/17 3:01 a.m.

More videos of the MR2 on team member Dan G's YouTube channel. We called the car the MR SakiBomb.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gielamonster/videos

This one of the chain is fascinating. You can see the rigid arm deflecting pretty significantly under load, and the chain jumping off the rear sprocket during shifts! We did clutchless upshifting and downshifting in this thing which really helped make it feel like a true race car, along with that 11krpm redline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RnhoRzSfcI

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/17 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Duder :

THANK YOU!

aaaaaaand, there goes the rest of my day.

Duder
Duder New Reader
11/30/17 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Glad to be of service! Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer about our silly moto-car. It's been blown up for a while now, but is in stasis with a CBR1000 swap partially completed.

Back to the Viccup for a bit...the bed floor solution is generating quite a bit of thought and debate amongst our little group that's building the truck. Our minds have been expanded to alternate realities, and other ways of approaching the clash between stock bed floor height and the "Vic hump" of frame, suspension, and fuel tank that currently occupies the space between the wheels. Hopefully we will have some updates on that soon, but for now the focus is on getting it running & driving with the cab only, no bed. Bed is Phase 2 of the project.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
12/1/17 12:51 p.m.

In reply to Duder :

" I'm not actively seeking more members but when someone drops off I hunt around for a replacement so we can keep making rent payments every month."

That is a cool arrangement, How does one put their name on the list? I would be interested, So would the ex to get me from working in her driveway! I have a build thread here, Search Mullettruck.

Duder
Duder New Reader
12/1/17 10:27 p.m.

In reply to MulletTruck :

There's no official list but I'll keep you in mind! I checked out your thread. Rad truck project, man. I'd love to have something like that being built in our shop - it would fit right in. But we are literally overfull right now (overflowing into the parking lot...shhh...don't tell the property management). If we get some space I will let you know.

I had an '86 4WD Toyota for about 10 years. It was a great truck. I rebuilt the 22R, then shortly afterwards basically traded the truck to my buddy for the black M5 in the photo above. Now we are both done with the respective vehicles and they're both back on the market again; such is life.

Dan G
Dan G Dork
12/5/17 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Hey Robbie, I can't find any galleries for the MRsaki Bomb but here's a writeup from one of the previous races. We have the "gnome standard power unit" in place now, just need to slap the wiring in and connect the plumbing to get it out there again.

Here's a video from a race at Sonoma. Maybe I should start a build thread here. I need to dig up those 4 year old photos and document this stupidity more thoroughly!

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
12/6/17 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Duder :

Do you want a free frame and suspension for your cab/bed in your garage?

Duder
Duder New Reader
12/6/17 5:18 p.m.
MulletTruck said:

In reply to Duder :

Do you want a free frame and suspension for your cab/bed in your garage?

I'm assuming you saw my post in the Rice Rod thread - what kind of frame and suspension are we talking here?

Duder
Duder New Reader
12/7/17 2:25 p.m.

Alex has been in the shop busting ass on the Viccup and apparently will continue to do so for the next few weeks, so we should have lots of updates soon. The rest of us have been slacking but I got out there last night and helped a bit.

Below is our solution for the front cab mounts at the firewall. This is the driver's side. We ordered some of the big triangular stampings that would've been standard on a '65 or '66 Ford pickup but unfortunately they didn't fit our '64 firewall at all. The whole shape of the lower firewall and floor changed in '65.

So the solution was to make some that would fit. This is a piece of square tubing with a weld nut inside, with the stock Vic body mount bolt coming up through the outermost mount. We won't use the inner Vic mount location. The tubing extends rearwards and meets up with the bottom edge of the lower firewall panel. Then it's boxed in upwards with the triangular plates, meeting up with the firewall again. The end of the tube is also boxed. This whole mojangus will get welded to the firewall; for now it's just tacked in (not pretty so I'm showing a "before" picture). The green paint is zinc chromate primer which we sprayed inside the new bracket and onto the firewall, except we masked off the weld area before painting.

Once all the cab mounts are fabricated we'll unbolt the front clip & fenders, remove the cab from the frame, and finish weld everything. Then paint, undercoating, and reassembly.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/7/17 2:29 p.m.
Duder said:

In reply to MulletTruck :

There's no official list but I'll keep you in mind! I checked out your thread. Rad truck project, man. I'd love to have something like that being built in our shop - it would fit right in. But we are literally overfull right now (overflowing into the parking lot...shhh...don't tell the property management). If we get some space I will let you know.

I had an '86 4WD Toyota for about 10 years. It was a great truck. I rebuilt the 22R, then shortly afterwards basically traded the truck to my buddy for the black M5 in the photo above. Now we are both done with the respective vehicles and they're both back on the market again; such is life.

I still want one of these. There was one at cars and coffee recently. Minty fresh with 32K miles on it. Best car of the whole day. 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9czMXlS3ztbMbGefHiS00jif0gUhKNYY9WoPmvfIInrkOIalGnGYDTMZPsuoR9dQ