Ian_Cook
Ian_Cook
1/23/24 2:16 p.m.

Hi Folks,

First time post in GRM.  Some of you may be familiar with Kevin Gale's "1990 Troyer Hillclimber" thread.  Well.....  Lets just say that was a bad influence.  I bought my first mod in 2019, and now, after an unfortunate ending with a tree, I am now building my 2nd.  This one I bought earlier this August.  It's going to be a dual purpose Hill Climb and road course modified, so I need to make a bunch of changes to make it handle turning both directions.

I drove from New Hampshire to Pennsylvania to pick this up.  It was easily the farthest single-day Facebook Marketplace snatch I’ve done, but it was worth it.

So I brought it to my local makerspace and got to it.  First order of business was to put in caster-pedestals.  Not something I’ve ever seen on a race car, but it sure made it easier to work on.  No more sitting stationary on jackstands.  I can disassemble this baby and wheel it around anywhere.

Then I started the suspension geometry install.  Took quite a while to figure out how to jig everything up so it would be square and level.  Getting the LCA pins to drop into place without binding was a real trick.

Since brought the car home.  Now it’s time to send the rear end out and build the motor.  I'll probably have a few posts on just the motor build.

-Ian

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
1/23/24 2:26 p.m.

Awesome. I'm looking forward to reading about this build. I used to actually promote annual events at Evergreen in Pennsylvania - although we didn't run modifieds there. Have fun with this!

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/23/24 3:35 p.m.

What a beast.  Can't wait to hear about what that's like to drive!

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/23/24 3:39 p.m.
Ian_Cook said:

Lets just say that was a bad influence. 

I think you'll fit in well here. Awesome project, can't wait to see more.

And sorry about the tree incident, though it sounds like you made it out okay.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/24 3:42 p.m.

i totally mis-read that you drove *it* from NH to PA and i was like berkeley yeah you did!  in for updates!

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/23/24 4:12 p.m.

Sweet!

Hello from Somersworth, NH.

Ian_Cook
Ian_Cook New Reader
1/23/24 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I wasn't right to begin with, so making it out okay was never an option.  I am, however, uninjured.  There are better videos on my channel than this, so do snoop around:

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/24 6:15 p.m.

Looking forward to this. Kevin's thread was the thing that first drew my to this site. 
That was a hard crash, glad you are alright!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
1/23/24 7:13 p.m.

So, does the l/r balance work out? Kind of curious how much work it takes to make them not behave differently left to right.

Ian_Cook
Ian_Cook New Reader
1/23/24 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

The difference isn't as bad as you might think.  As long as you get the cross-weight equal and all the suspension geometry symmetric, it still will have similar L/R balance, just different absolute grip.  I think my last car was 52%-53% left side, so naturally I could corner harder to the left.

If I really wanted to get down to 50/50, I can mill a new motor plate to offset the engine to the right by about an inch.  That would also allow me to carve some more room out of the transmission tunnel so I can scooch my seat over.  I can also offset the rear end with different length axle tubes.  But there are bigger fish to fry in this build, so unless I need to change the rear axle width, I'm probably going to leave everything as-is.  For now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T4QgzOmJPIyhbLQZbCjWgjKcNP0YLZHw69EaY6OLu6U7H3qSxYMbJ9JbgtmnSKTn