1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 159
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/5/16 12:49 p.m.

I am beyond most of that motor stuff simply because I drove the truck into the garage. I actually DD'ed this thing for about six months before parking it.

I'll probably just compression check and paint it for now. I may throw on an intake or cam if I find slamming good deals. I need to save money for paint/interior/finish stuff.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/5/16 12:56 p.m.

por15 engine paint. that E36 M3 is indestructible.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/16 6:16 p.m.

Just checked in on this thing and I'm very impressed. This thing is a real labor of love.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/5/16 6:40 p.m.

I wouldn't even do a compression check, that's just an excuse to open a can of worms.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/5/16 8:08 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I wouldn't even do a compression check, that's just an excuse to open a can of worms.

Or maybe an excuse to hear it crank over a bit.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/5/16 8:15 p.m.

Oil change, ether, and burnout before pull?

Nah, then you'll be tempted to put it back together as is and drive it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/5/16 10:29 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Oil change, ether, and burnout before pull? Nah, then you'll be tempted to put it back together as is and drive it.

Well, that and the transmission is in the bed, and so is the driveshaft, and shifter. And there's no seat. Or steering.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/6/16 7:23 a.m.

I spent a few hours pouring over gauges and taking notes and thinking. No pics, but lots of progress...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/6/16 10:21 p.m.

You guy aren't even going to believe the compression test

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
1/6/16 10:24 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: You guy aren't even going to believe the compression test

Not believe it good or not believe it bad?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/6/16 10:27 p.m.

There used to be a country music video starting out with a guy having a really bad day, and the narrator said something like "You ever have one of them days when you can't hit the ground with your hat?"

The garage tonight was like that, but worse.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/6/16 11:09 p.m.

I knew it was going to be a late night due to church on Wednesday going late. Getting the kids to bed while they are tired and cranky is always tough. Doubly so when Tunawife isn't feeling well. At around 9:30 I got dressed and hunted for the trucks keys.

Yeah... so who knows where they went. Not me. I looked everywhere. I finally gave up and went into the garage in a huff without them. I figured that I could disassemble the switch and jump it from there. After too-long spent fiddling, I remembered that I should really just be jumping this thing at the starter. Dummy.

Hooked up the battery jumper box, got a screwdriver. :: click ::

Uhh, how about no? Pull all of the spark plugs. Try it again.

:: click ::

Flashback to 2008ish, at CMP. Co-driver Matt brings Charlier the Volvo in with a penalty for some form of contact. We do our dance or whatever, and we are ready to go back out. Being one of our first races, I say "Hey guys, let's push this pig back to the paddock and check the fluids and whatnot before we go back out there". Good call, level headed Brian. A few minutes later, all fluids are deemed great-ish and accounted for. The new driver is suited up, and he stabs the starter button

Back in 2016, click click click click NO NO CLICK CLICK CLICK NO NO CLICK NO CLICK NO CLICK!!!!! Oh well, maybe the starter is bad. I grab the ratchet. And pull. And pull. And pull.

Unless something went drastically wrong in the bellhousing when I pulled the transmission out, this thing is locked up. I threw all of the penetrating oil stuff I had in the spark plug holes and through the open exhaust valves (remember the manifolds are off)

This just got interesting, sports fans.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/7/16 5:53 a.m.

I'll help source a motor if needed. I'll also volunteer the truck for delivery.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/7/16 8:46 a.m.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
1/7/16 9:46 a.m.

that's just... ugh.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
1/7/16 9:52 a.m.

is your garage heated? is there fluid still int he block? could it have frozen last year when it got to 4*F around these parts?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 9:55 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: is your garage heated? is there fluid still int he block? could it have frozen last year when it got to 4*F around these parts?

Not heated. It's still full of 50/50 coolant and oil. I didn't drain anything on purpose. Only the valve covers have come off (and went back on the same night). Carb is even still on it, it has not seen rain or anything.

Tried it again this morning, still nothing. I'll check out the bellhousing tonight to see if I am missing something stupid, and then I guess the heads get to come off.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/7/16 10:07 a.m.

Manual? Put in gear, big breaker bar on a rear wheel, pray bad things dont get worse?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 10:08 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Manual? Put in gear, big breaker bar on a rear wheel, pray bad things dont get worse?

Transmission and driveshaft are sitting in the bed.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
1/7/16 10:38 a.m.

Ugh.

Motors are weird. Remember that Olds Vista Cruiser I had? After we dragged it home, I threw some oil in the holes and it cranked right over. It sat for a couple of years, then when I went to try again, it was stuck.

I bought a Miata - you remember the one - with a stuck engine. I filled the engine with my special proprietary blend of fluids, waited a few days, got my breaker bar and gradually managed to free it up. And it ran perfectly after a while.

What I will suggest is just that. Fill the engine- not just a little in the holes, or whatever. Fill it. Pour a mixture of ATF, PBlaster, and diesel fuel into the valve covers. Fill the engine- I mean until it's up past the pistons. It'll take a few gallons of this mixture, and it'll cost you like $50 for all the fluid. Fill it and let it sit for a week. Then try rocking it back and forth with a pry bar. Gently. WHEN it moves (see what I did there?) don't over do it. Rock the crank a little back and forth. Maybe 10 degrees the first day. 20 degrees the next day. Keep working it slowly until you can get a full revolution out of it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/16 11:06 a.m.

I find it hard to believe it is locked up.

Did you try a breaker bar on the front pulley?

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
1/7/16 11:18 a.m.

I also find it hard to believe it's locked up. I usually need a breaker bar or cheater pipe to turn over a v8 unless I've eaten my spinach.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/7/16 11:24 a.m.

Same old flywheel with the same old flywheel bolts?

I have locked up an engine due to a flywheel that touched the block when tight and also due to new flywheel bolts that were a smidgen too long. Same could happen with pressure plate bolts?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 11:56 a.m.

I have not touched the flywheel.

I have tried a big ratchet on the crank bolt. It isn't going anywhere, even with the plugs removed. The starter won't do it either. More to follow this evening.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/7/16 12:20 p.m.

Put a breaker bar on the crank bolt, go both ways, rock it back and forth.

1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 159

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mKu6gTWaXhe6QwSPFYpjHccAFvOf3EEPLexQoi3pVAcWeLVzWjX2PaNhGQCyAk4r