1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 159
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 1:08 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Put a breaker bar on the crank bolt, go both ways, rock it back and forth.

Funny thing, I don't even own one. I've always gone with the "pipe on the end of the ratchet" theory and have never been wrong.

It's not an issue of not-enough-force. I am tightening the bolt one way and loosening it the other. The pulley isn't moving.

Tonight I'll verify that I haven't missed anything in the bellhousing and then play some more. Worst case scenario, I pull the heads and start to look at an overbore. I have a friend in Scott (F6SK) who I met quite by accident who can help with machine work. I just have to find pistons... if that's what this road leads to.

No jumping to conclusions.

...off to search for cheap pistons...

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
1/7/16 1:16 p.m.

dude I have to ask, did you do anything to lock it in place when you took everything apart? like put a bolt into the flywheel to help take the tranmission off?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 1:20 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: dude I have to ask, did you do anything to lock it in place when you took everything apart? like put a bolt into the flywheel to help take the tranmission off?

As far as I recall, I just pulled the shifter, pulled the driveshaft, and just slid the transmission out. Hang on...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 1:29 p.m.

Page 58 concurs

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/build-thread-for-the-72-gmc-finally-thanks-john/59103/page58/

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
1/7/16 1:59 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Put a breaker bar on the crank bolt, go both ways, rock it back and forth.
Worst case scenario, I pull the heads and start to look at an overbore. I have a friend in Scott (F6SK) who I met quite by accident who can help with machine work. I just have to find pistons... if that's what this road leads to. No jumping to conclusions. ...off to search for cheap pistons...

I think searching for cheap pistons is, by definition, jumping to conclusions. The facts are:

1) The engine ran sometime relatively recently 2) The engine has been in a completely enclosed environment since the last time it ran 3) The engine in question ran very well the last time it did run 4) The engine in question is an old American piece of iron, with relatively loose clearances

Based on 1-4 above, You either have a) something mechanical inadvertently locking the engine in place, or b) a very slight amount of corrosion that's preventing rotation, that a good soaking and a little persuasion should solve without wrecking anything internal to the engine.

I would ask if something may have dropped into a cylinder, but you'd still be able to rotate the engine at least one way. Unless there's multiple things dropped in multiple cylinders with pistons trying to move in two different ways. Even so, I'd thing you should still get some rotation one way or the other.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
1/7/16 2:02 p.m.

If the engine is for some reason really stuck or broken, a low mile pullout may be cheaper and easier than a rebuild.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/5392288189.html

http://york.craigslist.org/pts/5375068538.html

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 2:04 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Heads have not been off yet, so the odds of something being there are pretty low. The valve covers were only off for a few hours, and are now back on.

Point 4 is not true, but not totally relevant!

I do not seriously believe that this will result in a rebuild, but it's certainly not what I had in mind.

Yeah, I drove this thing to work and back, and it ran well. It was running pretty rich the day I brought it into the garage due to the carb float sinking, I believe.

Then again, that B18 in Charlie never ran again...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 2:06 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: If the engine is for some reason really stuck or broken, a low mile pullout may be cheaper and easier than a rebuild. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/5392288189.html http://york.craigslist.org/pts/5375068538.html

Agreed. A $200 JY L31 gets me a roller valvetrain and vortec heads. This will require an expensive manifold and a rethinking of the fuel system, though.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/7/16 2:17 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: I think searching for cheap pistons is, by definition, jumping to conclusions.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 2:22 p.m.

In reply to xflowgolf:

+1!!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/7/16 4:01 p.m.

a cheap pro-comp intake is 125 on ebay for vortec heads. if you do go that way, them id go single plane and TBI. cause after all, while youre in there.....

offer is still up for assistance. hopefully you can get it unstuck and it runs fine again.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/7/16 4:17 p.m.

For extra force, you might also try a prybar in the ring gear teeth.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 9:41 p.m.

Oh no no no

I'm such a dummy.

Explanation later when I can post pics.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/7/16 10:36 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Oh no no no I'm such a dummy. Explanation later when I can post pics.

I hope this is good news.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/16 10:52 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Oh no no no I'm such a dummy. Explanation later when I can post pics.
I hope this is good news.

Not really.

I found this in the bellhousing.

Untitled

It's a clutch fork. That belongs in the bellhousing. Right?

Take a closer look.

Untitled

So, when I tried to rotate the engine, the fork wedged into the clutch, and the ball ripped the boss out of the bellhousing.

Great!

So at least now I can run the compression test while I figure out how to replace or repair my bellhousing. With tears in my eyes.

Oh, this helps.

Untitled

Great. So now... uhh. Nevermind.

As TunaDad said when I sent him the results: "It dragged its sorry ass in there, it can drag it back out"

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/7/16 10:59 p.m.

OK, better than a new engine right?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/8/16 5:26 a.m.

Hey, we can come back from this.

Compression numbers ain't that bad, and it's a damn chevy. We can source a bellhousing, tuna.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/8/16 5:45 a.m.

Duster is right about the bell housing. It's a 350, can't be very hard or expensive.
As to the compression, if you look at it the right way it should free up energy for other work. It will run with that compression, but it will need to come apart or be replaced eventually. That means you can just slap a coat of paint on it and go. You don't need to worry about exhaust manifolds or a different cam or any of that. Shine it up and put it back in. You should be on the hook for about four cans of spray paint, cheapest refresh ever.
This gives you lots of time once the truck is running to research and find good deals on parts to build the motor you want. You were worrying about a lot of stuff that you don't have to worry about any more.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/8/16 7:04 a.m.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I also believe that the 89 number is artifical. The little jumper pack I was using (which is not little, it was a quite expensive Schumacher pack, and it never holds a charge for long anyway) was not spinning the beast very quickly. I ended up using the old "angle Catywampus up to the truck, hook the jumper pack to Catywampus (remember that she only has a lawn mower battery) and hook jumper cables from Catywapus to the truck" trick on the remaining seven. Even with all of the plugs out, engine rotating clutch-fork-less (pretty free, really), the jump pack had trouble getting over TDC.

The bell may be special because of the weirdo transmission I have. I am first going to investigate calling in some favors to get it welded. It's just the clutch fork, after all.

And you're all right, it certainly isn't worth a cam or intake or headers if it's only going to make 220 hp anyway.

Anyway, it's coming out this weekend. It won't go back in again until the firewall is painted. It will sit in the corner and think about what it's done.

Meanwhile, I made strides towards finally hooking up that 200Vac outlet that I never finished. I never ran the cable into the box, mostly because I am scared of electrons. I borrowed a set of rubber gloves from a friend at work, and went to town.

And then I remembered that I had not drilled the hole through the header yet. It's 2x 2x4s right at the roofline. I have maybe 5" of clearance between the header and the roof, while precariously perched upon the rafters of a lazy-truss setup, 20" on center. I ended up being very McGuiver again, and slid a 1/4" socket over the end of a spade bit to a universal joint, to a long 1/4" drive extension to a square/hex adapter to the drill, taping everything so it wouldn't come off. Then I prayed (literally) that I wasn't going to hit anything like nails or live wires while drilling mostly-blind.

Well the hole is made, and the hole in the box is made, but despite being able to see the cable through the hole in the breaker box, I was not able to get it through. It, being midnight, and my knees hurting like it's pretend, I went inside.

Happily, my potty training younger two kids were dry all night. Unhappily, my daughter, three, woke up insisting that she didn't have to go at around 4. This resulted in being screamed at the top of her little lungs for roughly 45 minutes. She did eventually pee on the potty though. So I won. Sort of. I'm pretty tired now.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/8/16 1:05 p.m.

$75 spent for four cans of engine paint, carb rebuilt kit, and a wideband cable for another project (Catywampus)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/8/16 5:31 p.m.

What paint?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/8/16 6:27 p.m.

On top of reason you've given, the compression numbers could be screwy because it's been sitting, sticky valves and whatnot. Good enough for it to fire on all 8 in any event.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/8/16 6:38 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Tuna dad belongs in "Say What?"

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/8/16 9:03 p.m.

Might have figured out a way to finance this build....How much do you weigh?

New York Times said: Bluefin Tuna Sold for Record $1.76 Million in Tokyo ‘Auction’
moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
1/8/16 9:22 p.m.

put a teaspoon of atf in each cylinder, put the plugs back in and prime the oil system, then check compression.

1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 159

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pD1uhDOLAqXVddrFfv6NHbenakKzUTZ5e6AQPB7pkVUUi5erYsZDQl997AVS0UFr