1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 113
loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
2/24/14 7:09 a.m.

I have to consider things like availability of turbo kits, total length, transmission and purchase price. How hard is it to convert a FWD engine to RWD? The Mazda K8-DE is a compact V6 that would respond to boost but how do I change it to a rear drive configuration?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/14 7:36 a.m.

Usually, once you can get a RWD trans attached (with an adapter plate if necessary) you just turn the engine around and get a good aftermarket oil pan (a good idea for the 2GR in any case). Most FWD to RWD conversion problems are caused by stuff hanging off the back end of the engine which interferes with the firewall in a RWD setup.

Edit: I think the hardest part of running a 2GR specifically would be the ECU. You'd need to run something like an MS or AEM EMS if you want to run boost.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
2/24/14 8:14 a.m.

Ford Performance has the 3.5 Ecoboost for sale but it's all of $9k4 and that doesn't get you an EMS.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22829

GameboyRMH
2/24/14 8:48 a.m.

A Subaru boxer might be a good idea, only downside is that they're actually not particularly short...the only real packaging advantage of a boxer is the low CoG, and that comes with a ton of width. With the intake on top they're not particularly short in terms of height either.

But they're cheap with a big aftermarket and lots of potential.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
2/24/14 8:54 a.m.

What about a shorter trans? I don't know what you currently have, but for instance replacing a T5 with a Jerico could probably save some length.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/24/14 8:57 a.m.

Why can't you get a shorter driveshaft made? Just curious since I know its been done for decades.

GameboyRMH
2/24/14 8:58 a.m.
turboswede wrote: Why can't you get a shorter driveshaft made? Just curious since I know its been done for decades.

Have you not seen his custom stubby driveshaft with the u-joints 3 inches apart?

Edit: Oh wait, IIRC there wasn't even room for that!

turboswede
2/24/14 9:04 a.m.

I don't know, I've more or less lost interest in this build since he dropped the V12 and the MGB GT bodywork :/

Now its a silhouette MG with a trans-am style mustang chassis shoe-horned underneath. Still a great build, but it lost a little something along the way.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
2/24/14 9:04 a.m.

Ok, need to figure out how to get a powerglide behind a turbo something. its autoX. You only need 1 or 2 gears, for a turbo car you spoke of V6 turbo the auto will help keep it spooled, and it will be small.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
2/24/14 9:12 a.m.

Turbo rotary has proven quite effective.

GameboyRMH
2/24/14 9:16 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Turbo rotary has proven quite effective.

Hey it's a dedicated autocross car that only has to run for a couple hours per year, why not?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
2/24/14 9:27 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBVVssJwx2Y

turboswede
2/24/14 10:02 a.m.

Buick/Rover aluminum V8 (with a blower and/or a turbo or two) with a powerglide. Done.

GameboyRMH
2/24/14 10:08 a.m.

Boost would be nice on this car because you could use a landspeeder-style intercooler setup: air-to-water with an ice water reservoir. No need for more air-to-air heat exchangers since the car only has to make one run at a time.

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
2/24/14 11:59 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: What about a shorter trans? I don't know what you currently have, but for instance replacing a T5 with a Jerico could probably save some length.

The Jerico is the $5500 trans I mentioned in my original post.

turboswede wrote: Why can't you get a shorter driveshaft made? Just curious since I know its been done for decades.

The various shops I have been in contact with will not commit to building one. They won't tell me it's impossible, but they keep putting me off or telling me to send in more measurements. One of these shops is the one that built Jeff Keisel's very short CV based driveshaft, and I'm getting nowhere. I just keep getting excuses.

turboswede wrote: I don't know, I've more or less lost interest in this build since he dropped the V12 and the MGB GT bodywork :/ Now its a silhouette MG with a trans-am style mustang chassis shoe-horned underneath. Still a great build, but it lost a little something along the way.

Even if I had stuck with the V12 in the all steel MGB-GT, you would have lost interest because I would have gotten nothing but poor results. It was simply too heavy to get anywhere near a trophy. I couldn't even beat a well prepared BS S2000 locally. I agree that the V12 was way cool but a race car needs to race

turboswede
2/24/14 12:07 p.m.

Yes, I should have added that I understood why you made the changes you've made. Its all about engineering the best solution and the Jag V12/GT body were too heavy to be effective at its intended role. We just like oddballs around here and we were rooting for the underdog a bit :) Don't get me wrong, you've done great work and we all want to see you succeed at this.

With that said, I can't believe those shops don't want your business, that is pretty messed up and they should be publicly shamed as they are missing the boat and potentially killing their business.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/24/14 12:13 p.m.
loosecannon wrote: I have to consider things like availability of turbo kits, total length, transmission and purchase price. How hard is it to convert a FWD engine to RWD? The Mazda K8-DE is a compact V6 that would respond to boost but how do I change it to a rear drive configuration?

Anywhere a K8 fits, a KL fits, and makes more power everywhere with no downside at all.

In terms of making one RWD, take a gander at some of the KL powered Miatas. They're running adapter plates and attaching them to Miata transmissions. One is using a T5 of some sort.

turboswede
2/24/14 12:16 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
loosecannon wrote: I have to consider things like availability of turbo kits, total length, transmission and purchase price. How hard is it to convert a FWD engine to RWD? The Mazda K8-DE is a compact V6 that would respond to boost but how do I change it to a rear drive configuration?
Anywhere a K8 fits, a KL fits, and makes more power everywhere with no downside at all. In terms of making one RWD, take a gander at some of the KL powered Miatas. They're running adapter plates and attaching them to Miata transmissions. One is using a T5 of some sort.

Which may not solve his length problem.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/24/14 12:27 p.m.

True story.

I don't know what a short RWD trans is.... are there shorter ones than Miatas? The B2600 trans i have sitting around looks short to me, but i don't really have much reference.

GameboyRMH
2/24/14 12:35 p.m.

A Samurai gearbox is short.

(shifts like a tractor though)

turboswede
2/24/14 12:37 p.m.

Here's a weird thought: aren't the later corvette transmissions actually rear mounted transaxles that can be converted to mount directly to an engine?

Here we go, this is what I was thinking of:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/33255-c5-c6-corvette-transaxle.html

GameboyRMH
2/24/14 12:48 p.m.

^ I was thinking of something along those lines too...it can work, but it doesn't eliminate the short driveshaft problem, just relocates it. He'd need a short custom torque tube.

turboswede
2/24/14 12:51 p.m.

yes, but that is something that could potentially be fabricated with a longer coupler made by a competent welder. Then again, there may be enough length in the assembly to make it unnecessary.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
2/24/14 12:59 p.m.

I a going to guess this has more to do with some drivline angles caused by the short distance rather than the actual ability to build the shaft.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
2/24/14 5:25 p.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JERICO-2-SPEED-26-SPLINE-CHEVY-INPUT-SHAFT-1-40-LOW-GEAR-ROLTEK-T-10-MUNCIE-/130863255845

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bert-Aluminum-LMZ-2-Speed-Transmission-w-Reverse-IMCA-Racing-Approved-/261394111888?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdc4d9d90&vxp=mtr

1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 113

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XbtUYQYtotrRpMkZTsQlZo4ic8xFrTRsabw426KLHl2BcYpgHrLpcL872d24chCD