1 2 3
edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
4/13/16 7:44 a.m.

finished up the rear bar last night, the bolt on the right side was broken off and I couldnt get it out so I ended up using the bolt for the muffler to mount that side.

photo D5760039-E3E8-4106-9535-3A9337D05220.jpg

photo 5AA9E6A8-740D-4CB7-A9FB-D0F19419EEAD.jpg

photo E0B2C385-FAAC-4445-B303-044772EDE691.jpg

photo FA93BC77-0A5C-4E75-981F-E90FEBDAB41E.jpg

its not the prettiest thing but its definetly better then the crumpled stock bar and its what i wanted, longer and stronger (thats what she said). not bad for ~$8 of material

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
4/14/16 9:02 a.m.

rear bar is finished and painted. looks pretty good for what it is

photo 1A225648-31AF-42AB-85E9-31FECC33BBBA.jpg

also messed with the rear brake, tried to adjust it as much as i could and even cranking on the pivot (or whatever you call the part that pushes the shoes out) with vice grips it still never grabbed, so i tore into the drum and found this:  photo E4DB7557-D57A-494F-BDB8-274B9BFC593D.jpg

zero friction material left on the shoes, just a handful of brake dust in the bottom of the drum. it looks like they decentigraded in there, maybe it got water in there and sat for a long time and it broke it down into powder. but anyways needless to say new brake shoes have been ordered.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
4/15/16 7:52 a.m.

last night we get the front end off and found why the it has such a clunk, originally the SX frame ran loose ball bearings, when switching to the R front end you need to swap in tappered roller bearings which had not been done. Luckily there is only a small wear line on the triple tree stem from it banging around but with the right bearings it should be good to go.

photo 787F7D02-4DCB-4EE2-BAF0-310E01BB817C.jpg

photo E27147CF-0138-40D3-BED3-9DB035AE172F.jpg

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
4/15/16 8:21 a.m.

ATC250R FYW!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/16 10:08 a.m.

Well that escalated quick!

Nice job on that back end.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
4/15/16 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

fastest way to make it a 2 wheeler!

edit: actually in this picture one rear wheel is off for the brake work. I went from a 3 wheeler to a 1 wheeler in 24 hours!

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
4/18/16 11:21 a.m.

got the rear brake and neck bearings all finished this weekend. its a lot less sketchy now that the steering it not clunky and loose and that it has brakes on both axles now.

photo C3A5A887-869D-4F38-AFA9-8D4F98AD8571.jpg

next is change the oil and rear gear fluid and it should be ready to hit some trails.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/18/16 1:03 p.m.

Nice!

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
4/26/16 3:16 p.m.

no major updates as ive been out of the country on vacation. But I can say the the trike is 4 year old approved.

photo 548D6734-8E98-4429-A42A-FAB039AB975A.jpg

photo 85484BCE-4B7C-4F6E-BA3E-99FFF1839C1B.jpg

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/26/16 3:22 p.m.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
5/23/16 9:46 a.m.

Well took the trike out on its maiden voyage to Haspin Acres. It had been raining on and off all week and was sprinkling the morning we went. My manager had told me that the mud out there was like oatmeal, just ridiculously thick, and he was right. But besides getting stuck in a few spots and almost rolling once the trike performed great. It didnt miss a beat. Only thing that failed was the neutral light.

here's a before shot  photo 8B9A8842-626A-4846-8E1C-61355C417E3A_1.jpg

and here is after  photo 7B0A154F-44EA-4723-A8B6-5209D1B65757_1.jpg

photo CFEF6C37-578F-4516-A64E-4ECBF2DEDCA4_1.jpg

Here is a few I grabbed while we where taking a break  photo DEF8FC04-5148-4EE0-B2B7-C9693ACC9B64_1.jpg

photo 4CE2B374-67FF-4E8A-97F3-804401629938_1.jpg

I learned a few things from this trip too. I found out that since the plastics dont completely cover the rear wheels it throws huge rooster tails pretty much anytime you are moving, going to look into finding something to make extensions with. I will probably make an extension on the front fender too to keep to much mud getting on the cylinder head fins. Also it turns out in that thick of mud that the front tire will get enough mud on it to get jammed up with the front forks and not want to spin until you got going fast enough. So I maybe will look into getting a skinnier front tire? Also one downside of trikes is that when it comes to ruts on the trails the front tire and one of the rear tires likes to find the ruts so you are basically trying to go straight when you are at a ~30 degree angle, not much you can do about that and alot of that i think was due to the mud since you would slide into the rut and not be able to steer out of it.

All in all it was a good trip. I think from now on i will try to avoid muddy days though. Looking forward to going back when its dry.

I also ordered everything to rebuild the forks and am doing a tank liner in the OEM tank so i can get rid of the stupid plastic tank that is strapped to it for now.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/23/16 9:56 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: no major updates as ive been out of the country on vacation. But I can say the the trike is 4 year old approved.  photo 548D6734-8E98-4429-A42A-FAB039AB975A.jpg  photo 85484BCE-4B7C-4F6E-BA3E-99FFF1839C1B.jpg

Please, Please put on helmets for you and your children even when puttering around in the yard. I have witnessed too many accidents when just farting around to not wear all the safety gear all the time.

Sorry for threadjack!

Nice Bike! I will be following this one for updates!

dropstep
dropstep Dork
5/23/16 2:25 p.m.

Its hard too avoid muddy days at haspin, that nasty thick stuff seems too take a week to dry out in the sun. But yeah its alot of fun when its just tacky, i hated the place when it was full of slop.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
6/22/16 8:48 a.m.

well i made an attempt at doing a tank liner on the rusty OEM fuel tank i had. I had done a tank liner on an old motorcycle i had and it turned out really well, didnt go so well on the trike. After doing 2 coats and letting it sit for a week between coats to let it thoroughly dry I filled it with fuel and there were a decent amount of pin holes that still didnt seal and started leaking. Also from what i can see inside the tank im not really impressed with how it got covered, it seemed to not stick very well in some spots and is uneven, might have been user error but i didnt have this problem on the motorcycle tank i had previously done.

But I have come to the conclusion that i will probably just get an OEM style plastic tank and not have to worry about fighting rust anymore.

Also after the last wheeling trip the choke cable has decided to seize up. I will probably replace it but does anyone know a good way to free them up?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
6/22/16 10:05 a.m.

I've never had to free one that was completely seized up, but I've had good luck with WD40 with Silicone on cables that didn't want to move easily, just disconnected the cable from the lever, and sprayed it in there for a few seconds and let it soak in. I think I found it at Lowes in a yellow and black spray can.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
6/23/16 11:37 a.m.

A Banshee/RD enging goes into the Blaster with very little work, Just sayin.

bigdaddylee82 wrote: I found myself underneath an upside down Big Red on a few occasions during my youth. I fully support this! There's still an '86 Moto 4 at my folk's that I occasionally torment the cattle with. There's a Blaster sans engine in my back yard, engine is in pieces in a Rubbermaid in the garage.
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
6/23/16 12:59 p.m.
MulletTruck wrote: A Banshee/RD enging goes into the Blaster with very little work, Just sayin.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: I found myself underneath an upside down Big Red on a few occasions during my youth. I fully support this! There's still an '86 Moto 4 at my folk's that I occasionally torment the cattle with. There's a Blaster sans engine in my back yard, engine is in pieces in a Rubbermaid in the garage.

Smart thing to do would be to slap new bearings in it (reason the engine's out) get it running and send it on its way to a new owner via Craigslist. I have no use for a sport quad, especially not a little 200 Blaster. A Banshee engine swap is a recipe for an ambulance ride. Mentioning swap though, I think my folks still have my old, mid-late '80s 225 engine, swing arm and axle, from a Yamaha 3 wheeler (225DR "Shaft" I think) in their barn. It was going to be the heart of a dune buggy/go cart build that never really panned out, when I was in high school, almost 2 decades ago.

That'd give it a 4 stroke, with electric start, an auto clutch, and reverse, add some racks and turn it into a little utility quad with less maintenance, and an actual 12v charging system, that pretty much anyone could ride. Wouldn't be fast, but would be usable.

Everyone I've mentioned that idea to tells me it's stupid and a waste of time though.

Please excuse the hijack edizzle89.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
6/27/16 11:16 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: Please excuse the hijack edizzle89.

dont worry about it, any productive thread is a good thread.

decided to get a new choke cable instead of trying to get the old one working. Also the new plastic tank should be here today!

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
6/27/16 11:53 a.m.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT, install a twist throttle on a 250R!

I can tell you from personal experience this is not a good thing.

I had a 250R I used to bang around on in the Salinas river bed. It would keep up with the dirt bikes of the day and spank the 4x4 trucks.

It spanked me too, see first paragraph.

Fun machine though, the best 3 wheeler built. I'd like to have another.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
6/30/16 3:08 p.m.

got the new tank in and put on. its probably the nicest part on the trike haha

photo E7B3FB44-9DEC-4972-9D00-6B238DBACD7A.jpg

photo 5DA0EDB9-1789-4F9A-8384-2672DF1E49E9.jpg

I need to re-wrap the seat as well to cover up the split thats in it now. Its already not the original seat wrap (or whatever its called) so i think im just going to go to a fabric store in town and find some kind of waterproof blue material to cover it with and call it good.

only things left on the list are to change the choke cable and rebuild the forks, both of which i have the parts for

my roommate and i are planning another trip out to Haspin again sometime around mid July, hopefully it will be less muddy this time.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
7/19/16 2:31 p.m.

well another successful trip for the 3 wheeler and my roommates dirt bike at Haspin, cant say the same for my buddy's 4 wheeler, more on that later. 2 dry days before we went helped dry out all the mud which made this trip much more enjoyable, was able to see alot more of the park. Did a few laps on the dirt bike track, did some rocky hill climbs, and some pretty fast paced wooded trails.

As for my buddies 4 wheeler... his air box was pretty broken up (unfiltered air able to get to the carb)but he decided to ride anyways, which turned out to be a bad idea. He hit some mud and it died. pulled the air box apart and lots of mud and water and sand in the air box and some in the carb. towed him to the truck and cleaned everything out real good and only took about a million pulls (of course his electric start doesnt work) to get it running. ride for a few more hours and it dies again, not from ingesting mud this time. another carb cleaning and a million pulls and its running again. On the woods trails we were moving at a pretty quick pace and my buddy rolls the 4 wheeler, luckily not bad but he landed pretty hard still. once we found that he was alright we also found he 4 wheeler wouldnt start, so at that point we towed it back to the truck and called it a day.

overall the trike did awesome, we were there ~5 hours and it didnt miss a beat. it also made a good tow vehicle for the unlucky quad twice

here is the first drag back to the truck

photo 63A825A4-08D4-43E9-813B-2C2646FC8012.jpg

we also got to see where bra's (and one giant pair of panties) grow

photo 3D682C7C-AB59-4763-9328-4B2C5F92536A.jpg

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
7/25/16 12:41 p.m.

found some carnage from this last trip out. The shift shaft seal has started leaking. Luckily just got the new $5 seal yesterday so just needs put on and good to go.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
10/11/16 11:53 a.m.

been a while since an update, done a few things but have been crazy busy traveling for work so havent taken it out in a while, trying to plan a trip out to the badlands up in Attica, IN before it gets too cold.

I got the shift shaft seal replaced which fixed my oil leak, it looked like a small rock must have got wedged between the shifter and the seal and tore it up a little bit, easy fix.

Also finally replaced the seized choke cable, forgot how nice it is to not have to crank forever and baby the throttle. the trike didnt have a choke lever when i got it so i am looking into universal choke levers so i dont have to pull on the actual cable itself anymore. you can see in the pictures i have it zip tied to the bars next to the left hand grip.

I also finally rebuilt the front forks with new fork seal, boots and fork oil (ATF). It went pretty easy and was relatively straight forward to do. I still dont understand how the hell forks work but its fixed and the front end feels 1000x better and the new boots look good

photo E6459C8D-77B2-449F-8528-CFFD810B7D4D.png

photo 3A78B4F8-B551-4441-9B36-2B2C97F878C8.jpg

all there is left to do is to re-wrap the seat with new material to fix the rip and bring back some of its color. Also I need to get a reverse cable for it. after those 2 things (and a choke lever) this thing will basically be back to OEM, well atleast as OEM as a 250sx with a 250r front end and wheels can be.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
10/11/16 1:08 p.m.

My dad recently bought a cheap 3 wheeler, i forgot how fun they are! Glad to see yours is still alive. Badlands is usually less mud then haspin.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
10/11/16 2:28 p.m.
dropstep wrote: My dad recently bought a cheap 3 wheeler, i forgot how fun they are! Glad to see yours is still alive. Badlands is usually less mud then haspin.

im looking forward to the dunes out at the Badlands as well, im sure its not comparable to the dunes out west but that fact that there is a place to ride at with sand in the mid-west is good enough for me.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Ze8SbX8HdYesCzkmkgjbRvYYJ8cqBUwFDYfq88gJjyHwFS8WPcAISdOoZtinJRf