1 2
chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/23/15 11:14 a.m.

Re: getting in over your head. Been there, done that, would do again (for the right project).

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/15 11:17 a.m.

There is always someone new that might need the repair cost problem pointed out. Also, I know my memory tends to dull the pain of some of my past misadventures.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
1/23/15 11:23 a.m.

An $18,800 Ferrari. What could go wrong?

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
1/23/15 11:50 a.m.

I think there's 2 issues at play:

I'd say the majority of people in the market for a 996 either want a pristine one and/or a GT3. There isn't a significant market for rough carreras.

A newer Boxster or Cayman S can do 95% of what a 996 Carrera can do for similar/slightly higher entry point, and is well, newer.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
1/23/15 11:55 a.m.
drdisque wrote: A newer Boxster or Cayman S can do 95% of what a 996 Carrera can do for similar/slightly higher entry point, and is well, newer.

The interiors of the 997 and 987 are way nicer than the 996, too.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/23/15 12:20 p.m.

Is the Cayman chassis based off the 911 or the Boxster?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/23/15 12:27 p.m.

Cayman is Boxster based.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/23/15 12:30 p.m.

That makes sense, Porsche doesn't want the Cayman to be better than the halo 911. Also since the Cayman depreciates faster than the 911.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/15 12:56 p.m.

Don't people say the Cayman is better than the 911 if you give them equal power?

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/15 3:58 p.m.

I am not even much of a Porsche fan, but for the buy-in you get good power, balance and a six speed. Looks, who cares, I drive a Focus. It is tempting because I hardly put any mileage on my second car as it is today so it not like I would hit 200k anytime soon.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
1/23/15 4:09 p.m.

The 996 is a fantastic car to drive. Very very good, straight out of the box. Cheaper Vettes may sound better and post better numbers, but the 911 is the more engaging car from the drivers seat.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/23/15 4:20 p.m.

The 996tt is a "bargain" too, at least in relative terms. The most recent issue of Panorama (i.e. PCA) had several in the classified section for ~$45k. That's a LOT of car for the money.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/15 4:45 p.m.

I didn't have a chance to read all of the posts but $14,000 is really attractive and using the 5% rule, that’s only $700 per year for maintenance.

I've got $16,000 so that should cover the car and about three years of maintenance.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/23/15 4:55 p.m.

It won't. Trust me.

Once you dealt with all the niggles in the first couple of years ownership, maybe. But even a DIY oil change with Mobil 1 is $100.

They're $80k cars, so according to your rule, the annual maintenance is more in the $4k ballpark. Heck, a set of tires is a grand and the rear are going to last you 10k-15k if you drive like a granny.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/15 5:03 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: It won't. Trust me. Once you dealt with all the niggles in the first couple of years ownership, maybe. But even a DIY oil change with Mobil 1 is $100. They're $80k cars, so according to your rule, the annual maintenance is more in the $4k ballpark. Heck, a set of tires is a grand and the rear are going to last you 10k-15k if you drive like a granny.

Hi Boxhead Tim,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I’m afraid I’ve wasted your time…I was totally joking; forgive me.

I don’t even think there is a 5% rule (just pulled it out of my butt), and if there was, this would clearly be the exception.

I hope you can see the humor in my post, if not, again I'm sorry.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
1/23/15 5:04 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: It won't. Trust me. Once you dealt with all the niggles in the first couple of years ownership, maybe. But even a DIY oil change with Mobil 1 is $100. They're $80k cars, so according to your rule, the annual maintenance is more in the $4k ballpark. Heck, a set of tires is a grand and the rear are going to last you 10k-15k if you drive like a granny.

Heck, this is partially true for my 370. I spend about $1,400 a year on tires, and oil changes are indeed around $100 a pop. It doesn't have some of the other issues, but it also isn't a Porsche. In my 2 years of ownership, I have averaged about $1,800 a year in consumables. My last Porsche was a 944 Turbo and 15 years old when I had it, and I remember only about $500 to $700 a year for it (once the previous owner neglect was ironed out.

I keep looking at the prices for 911s and Boxsters now, and they look very, very tempting. I'm already partially there in terms of yearly expenditures, what's a little more...right?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/15 7:25 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: The 996tt is a "bargain" too, at least in relative terms. The most recent issue of Panorama (i.e. PCA) had several in the classified section for ~$45k. That's a LOT of car for the money.

Different engine too. No IMS to worry about. Bulletproof 200mph daily driver.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/24/15 7:28 a.m.
drdisque wrote: I think there's 2 issues at play: I'd say the majority of people in the market for a 996 either want a pristine one and/or a GT3. There isn't a significant market for rough carreras.

And along these same lines, a 16 year old car is well past the age limit where you can get a used car loan for one, thus reducing the potential market to those with cash in hand or a healthy (and rare these days) line of credit.

That said, I have day-dreamed about these as well ever since a local dealer had a 4S model in black with the aero kit on the lot for awhile. I drove past it for weeks (maybe months... took awhile to sell) thinking about how much cooler that would be than my TDI wagon... However, the book value for the car was in the low $20K's and they wanted $29K.

Now excuse me while I go browse the local dealers for CPO Caymans...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/15 7:59 a.m.
nderwater wrote: An $18,800 Ferrari. *What could go wrong?*

Ok - threadjack: Just how bad of an idea is this?

I've never been a fan of the Mondial's styling, but as a convertible I don't find it nearly as offensive. Obviously, they can be huge money-pits and a qualified unbiased PPI is a requirement, but this seems like a cheap way to enjoy a Ferrari and possibly end up selling for close to purchase price + maintenance over the time owned.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/24/15 8:06 a.m.

In reply to petegossett:

I strongly suggest One Year With A Ferrari by David Boxberger. While the book is about an F355, I appreciated the perspective it lent to the experience of Ferrari, particularly older Ferrari, ownership.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0077QWUBC

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/24/15 9:40 a.m.

Cheap buy in but your monthly payments (maintenance) will be quite high.

Better off buying with that $14k a S2000 or something.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
1/24/15 10:24 a.m.
nderwater wrote: An $18,800 Ferrari. *What could go wrong?*

I actually prefer the coupe version. It also fairly diy friendly and about a 100% chance that it will be worth at least the purchase price a few years from now unless there's something very bad that's very well disguised.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2yK4SEaX0c7enyvY1gtREJ8Erv7KdgUB2gw9cauwiOOcsylcfSVAszP90FflRl5T