1 2 3
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/12 7:28 a.m.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/subaru/2014-subaru-brz-sti-ar127134.html

Lightened, +50HP and a higher rev limit with a different valvetrain & exhaust, upgraded suspension, brakes and body kit. Me likey!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/29/12 7:39 a.m.

The wheels are the wrong color, they are supposed to be gold.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/12 7:40 a.m.

I'm sure Toyota will have the same thing and call it the GTS or something.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/12 7:49 a.m.

Sounds like it's worth waiting for over the base models currently available. Wonder what the pricing will look like - $30K?

GameboyRMH
8/29/12 7:51 a.m.

I'd expect it to be close to $30k. They probably used exotic materials to lighten it.

Winston
Winston Reader
8/29/12 8:07 a.m.

$35k.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/12 8:15 a.m.

Wow, who would have thought that this was coming...

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/12 8:26 a.m.

Yay glut of cheap "slow" used FRSBRZ on market in 1year!

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
8/29/12 8:34 a.m.
Topspeed said: One downside to the BRZ STI is that there will be no turbocharged version offered. Subaru says there is no space for it in the engine bay and they are reserving these version for models like the WRX STI.

That's odd, I remember reading a Motor Trend article when the car launched and the engineers said there was room for a turbo.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/29/12 8:52 a.m.

Been multiple reports of TRD doing a supercharger for the FRS as well...

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/29/12 9:11 a.m.

250 out of an NA 2L? 1-That has got to be some high stung rever. 2-Who do they think they are, Honda

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/29/12 9:15 a.m.

There is already a turbo kit being developed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RU45jq2Zf8

http://www.egmcartech.com/2012/08/10/accelerated-performance-adds-turbo-to-subaru-brz-pushes-278-hp/

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/12 9:36 a.m.

The benefit of a TRD supercharger is that if it's installed at the dealer, you get a full warranty...

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/29/12 9:47 a.m.

Hands up those who really thought that extra power was not going to appear from somewhere?

As to the lightness, I just completed a 10 hour drive in mine, and not so sure I want to give up much more in the ways of sound-deadening or ride comfort.

As an fyi, the FRS is not a bad touring toy. I was worried about the form fitting seats getting uncomfortable, but they were ok.

Cruise control is great for keeping you out of trouble since the vastly underpowered chassis has a tendency to want to exceed the posted limit$.

Climate control is a bit worrysome. While it does its job, it is a bit manic.Going to be interesting seeing how it deals with winter.

Wish there was a way to have the sports mode as the default condition; the car is de-powered too much for pulling into traffic from intersections until the nanny is deactivated.

GameboyRMH
8/29/12 10:18 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Wish there was a way to have the sports mode as the default condition; the car is de-powered too much for pulling into traffic from intersections until the nanny is deactivated.

Might be possible to configure it this way with a Car Kracker. I'd want the same thing, sports mode, nannies off.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/29/12 10:20 a.m.

One would think that if they can get 250 out of the 2l block, they might be able to get more from a 2.2 or 2.5l block, that should in theory fit in the same space.

A BRZ game to our autocross this weekend. Looked damn fun. It had stock rubber, so times were not the best, but comparable to other fast cars at the event on less than ideal tires. One surprise for me was the oil filter placement. Most subies have it on the bottom and it's easy to reach. On the BRZ it is on top of the motor and upside down. I assume the filer will drain out before you remove it, just looked like it could be a mess. It did have a lip around it, so hopefully that will contain everything.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/29/12 10:29 a.m.

Wait a minute! The WRX version only gains 59 hp and you guys are worried about it being a "high strung rever"?

Sachiles the oil filter probably has a flap valve (or whatever you call it) that keeps it from draining back. That also helps under start up.

GameboyRMH
8/29/12 10:49 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: Wait a minute! The WRX version only gains 59 hp and you guys are worried about it being a "high strung rever"?

100hp/L = underpowered boat anchor

130hp/L = high-strung fast-wearing race engine

Bowenaero
Bowenaero New Reader
8/29/12 11:20 a.m.
sachilles wrote: One surprise for me was the oil filter placement. Most subies have it on the bottom and it's easy to reach. On the BRZ it is on top of the motor and upside down. I assume the filer will drain out before you remove it, just looked like it could be a mess. It did have a lip around it, so hopefully that will contain everything.

That probably was Toyota's doing. All the Toyotas I've worked on have an upside-down filter that makes oil changes interesting.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/29/12 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Bowenaero:

Must have been intended for the aussie market......they're used to doing things upside down.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
8/29/12 12:04 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Bowenaero: Must have been intended for the aussie market......they're used to doing things upside down.

You mean you guys dont have your women stand on their heads?

Cotton
Cotton Dork
8/29/12 12:07 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Hands up those who really thought that extra power was not going to appear from somewhere? As to the lightness, I just completed a 10 hour drive in mine, and not so sure I want to give up much more in the ways of sound-deadening or ride comfort. As an fyi, the FRS is not a bad touring toy. I was worried about the form fitting seats getting uncomfortable, but they were ok. Cruise control is great for keeping you out of trouble since the vastly underpowered chassis has a tendency to want to exceed the posted limit$. Climate control is a bit worrysome. While it does its job, it is a bit manic.Going to be interesting seeing how it deals with winter. Wish there was a way to have the sports mode as the default condition; the car is de-powered too much for pulling into traffic from intersections until the nanny is deactivated.

I assumed a higher powered version was coming, but i thought it would be more than 50HP.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/12 12:24 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Lightened, +50HP and a higher rev limit with a different valvetrain & exhaust, upgraded suspension, brakes and body kit. Me likey!

So: Fixed-roof S2000?

I'm there.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/12 12:27 p.m.
sachilles wrote: One would think that if they can get 250 out of the 2l block, they might be able to get more from a 2.2 or 2.5l block, that should in theory fit in the same space.

In theory, no. The horsepower comes from head flow, where the horsepower is made comes from displacement.

So a 2.2-2.5l variant would have a beefier yet lower in range powerband compared to a 2-liter with the same head and cams.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/29/12 12:29 p.m.

How much do you want to bet when it comes out that every thread about it is going to say that it is overpriced and not powerful enough?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m8mlLy7kOJw3Lc3BowaNaJ8kRSicjvVmohPjX0P7arXi6OtBgSuql0lRrp3tu13c