1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Duke
Duke PowerDork
7/17/13 1:18 p.m.

Wow. My father had (and now my sister has) a 1972 Grande Ville convertible, 455/4bbl, Rallye IIs, brown metallic on brown interior with a tan top. As American land yachts go, that thing is tops.

Very nice score. I don't even want to ask what pittance you paid for it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/17/13 1:29 p.m.

Thanks for the comments. No, I don't think it's rebellion. Figure everything we own and have ever owned is sporty. I just wanted something big and comfy--a rolling couch, if you will. I also wanted a little of style in that package, too.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
7/17/13 1:38 p.m.

Simply AWESOME. The Pontiac 400 is just the icing on the cake.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/17/13 1:38 p.m.
Wxdude10 wrote: If I was to buy one of the wagon barges.... Here is my pick: http://flint.craigslist.org/cto/3913262865.html Of course, I'd do it up in the requisite 442 style....

One of my all time favorites also.

David S. Wallens
7/17/13 1:44 p.m.

That Vista Cruiser is nice. It's also about double what I paid for my wagon. Seems that the mid-sized wagons fetch more thanks to their muscle car DNA. I decided to go big or go home.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/17/13 2:20 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: That Vista Cruiser is nice. It's also about double what I paid for my wagon. Seems that the mid-sized wagons fetch more thanks to their muscle car DNA. I decided to go big or go home.

Vista Cruisers are worth money because of a tv show that was on a few years ago that was set in the 70's...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/17/13 2:31 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: This is the one I've had my eye on: http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3898141981.html

If that in fact is a factory four speed wagon and not a conversion, it's exceedingly rare. Too bad they cut up the dash to install an aftermarket radio.

David S. Wallens
7/17/13 2:41 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: That Vista Cruiser is nice. It's also about double what I paid for my wagon. Seems that the mid-sized wagons fetch more thanks to their muscle car DNA. I decided to go big or go home.
Vista Cruisers are worth money because of a tv show that was on a few years ago that was set in the 70's...

Who would pay extra for a car that featured on TV or in a movie? That's crazy.

David S. Wallens
7/17/13 2:42 p.m.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the mid-sized GM wagons from the '70s have a tail-gunner seat? Even so, I like my boat.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
7/17/13 2:51 p.m.

My buddy had a '70 Catalina 400 wagon with a factory manual on the column. I can't imagine it was a 3-speed, but maybe it was. After about the 6th time the cables gave up, they converted it to a floor shift.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
7/17/13 2:52 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the mid-sized GM wagons from the '70s have a tail-gunner seat? Even so, I like my boat.

I don't know about the midsize wagons, but the large ones had them as an option. We took it out of my father's Bonnie wagon. If you have a low-option car, it's probably just got a well under the cargo floor. You can carry an ungodly amount of tools in there.

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
7/17/13 2:53 p.m.

you need fender skirts, a bug shield for the front and bug screen over grille and a 120" whip ant mounted on the back with CB radio to make it a true 70's fla car

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1976-Pontiac-Grandville-Bonneville-Catalina-Rear-Fender-Skirts-492964-/261247149740?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd38b26ac&vxp=mtr#ht_273wt_1144

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
7/17/13 3:05 p.m.

Tail gunner dropping chaff

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/17/13 3:09 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the mid-sized GM wagons from the '70s have a tail-gunner seat? Even so, I like my boat.

keeping in mind that the "mid sized" cars of the 70's became the "full size" cars of the 80's, yes- they did.. right up until they stopped making Caprice and Roadsmasher wagons at the end of the 1996 model year...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/17/13 4:43 p.m.

Yep, my mom's wagon had that.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/17/13 5:05 p.m.

Nice score David! Might I suggest red line tires for period correctness and possible sleeperism?

I grew up in the third seat of a 1958 Mercury Voyager no-post wagon, been discreetly looking for 40 years. You can find 57s and 59s, but for some reason 58s are MIA.

Dan

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
7/17/13 5:11 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Thanks for the comments. No, I don't think it's rebellion. Figure everything we own and have ever owned is sporty. I just wanted something big and comfy--a rolling couch, if you will. I also wanted a little of style in that package, too.

I believe its totally GRM. Think about it. If you want an old American cruiser that can also be used for practical applications, the wagon is a pretty good way to do both, and look cool doing it.

Practical, fairly inexpensive, AND cool? Pretty much the grassroots ethos right there.

David S. Wallens
7/17/13 6:27 p.m.

Thanks. Yeah, I paid used Civic money for it.

This one is a few bucks more--also not a wagon--but it was also tempting: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3842807428.html

Fortunately (or not) we were fairly busy when in Athens two weeks ago. The take-home message is that there's still some great deals on these big, old cruisers.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/17/13 7:37 p.m.

OMG I love old barge wagons... I've always wanted one but never had the means or space for one. I have been eying this one for quite a bit: 1975 Buick Estate Wagon

Gas would kill me and I have nowhere to park it but damn, I want it!

David S. Wallens
7/17/13 7:42 p.m.

One of the things that sealed the deal on this car was the fact that it had just one owner. I just started going through the stacks of paperwork that came with the car. In 1978, a complete oil change service cost about $10.78 total.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
7/18/13 8:24 a.m.

I assume this warbeast has A/C... I'm still jealous.

If you want to hop up the 400, I know a few tricks.

I'd start by reading this:

Oh look, there's a WAGON on the cover almost pulling the wheels!!! It runs 11's. There is a good bit of wagon content in the book. The author has had a few.

Great book. Goes through all the little pitfalls of building one of these that your average Chevy engine builder would overlook.

David S. Wallens
7/18/13 8:32 a.m.

Yep, still has a/c. Doesn't blow super-cold, though. I saw our mechanic last night. He said he can get the a/c back up and running.

I don't think it needs to go any quicker. So far it has gotten me to work two days in a row. That's really all the performance I need. I'd rather put that time, money and energy to the other cars. Somewhere there's a Nissan 240SX that needs a clutch....

David S. Wallens
7/18/13 8:33 a.m.
stanger_missle wrote: OMG I love old barge wagons... I've always wanted one but never had the means or space for one. I have been eying this one for quite a bit: 1975 Buick Estate Wagon Gas would kill me and I have nowhere to park it but damn, I want it!

And wow, glad I didn't see that one. That's basically the same as mine except a little fancier and with a 455. And it's very blue.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
7/18/13 9:04 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yep, still has a/c. Doesn't blow super-cold, though. I saw our mechanic last night. He said he can get the a/c back up and running. I don't think it needs to go any quicker. So far it has gotten me to work two days in a row. That's really all the performance I need. I'd rather put that time, money and energy to the other cars. Somewhere there's a Nissan 240SX that needs a clutch....

That's probably a good plan, especially if you are daily driving it. Also, with how original it is, it would be a shame to mess that up.

But one day, hopefully far into the future, it will need an engine rebuild. That's when you make it look all original but have enough power to pull the front wheels.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
7/18/13 1:07 p.m.

Just saw this on Hemmings.... Buick Wagon Hotness

More pics below:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/buick/sport_wagon/1581820.html

Too rich for my blood.... But I would love it.

I'll post the picks I took last summer of a Vista Cruiser I saw at a cruise night at an ice cream stand (Kimball Farms in Lancaster for the MA/NH crowd) later tonight.

And yes, it had the third row.. But it was front facing, not rear. I love me some mid-size GM wagons with the skylights.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YhLMTSGqDZnHlGQJJas6EfExKVuwFdlneXp6mtiJuPecIUH7wAXJFGRmWecmODL1