1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
7/18/13 1:08 p.m.

Lots of late model Jeep wheels in a 5X5" pattern.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/18/13 1:44 p.m.

Okay, I am looking at one significant upgrade: Hello, Koni?

beans
beans Reader
7/18/13 2:33 p.m.

99+ Grand Cherokees and JK Wranglers use the 5x5 pattern, too.

EDIT: tree'd by gasoline.

Sweet wagon, braaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
7/18/13 3:06 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Okay, I am looking at one significant upgrade: Hello, Koni?

Are you sure? In these boats potholes are for, like, other people.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
7/18/13 3:31 p.m.
Wxdude10 wrote: Just saw this on Hemmings.... Buick Wagon Hotness More pics below: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/buick/sport_wagon/1581820.html Too rich for my blood.... But I would love it. I'll post the picks I took last summer of a Vista Cruiser I saw at a cruise night at an ice cream stand (Kimball Farms in Lancaster for the MA/NH crowd) later tonight. And yes, it had the third row.. But it was front facing, not rear. I love me some mid-size GM wagons with the skylights.

Yep, that rules.

As I said back in a previous thread, I had an opportunity to buy a '68 Sport Wagon with a fresh Buick 350 on 15'' Buick Road Wheels for about $800 12 years ago. The thing was in great shape with zero rust.

I passed on it because it was green.

STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!

One day I will own a big, steel, long-roofed behemoth.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
7/18/13 3:39 p.m.

Well done.

You might want to look into air shocks for the back ,(do they still make those?)

David S. Wallens
7/18/13 3:48 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Okay, I am looking at one significant upgrade: Hello, Koni?
Are you sure? In these boats potholes are for, like, other people.

Well, I'm thinking more for highway stability. This thing needs to do a good road trip in the near future--maybe I'll drive it up to Petit LeMans.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
7/18/13 3:57 p.m.

All pontiacs need a shaker! or at least some kind of nostal scoop

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/18/13 4:17 p.m.

Out of curiosity, I was poking around for more information on the Buick wagons. I found this on Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said: At 5,182 lb (2,351 kg) shipping weight, or about 5,400 lb (2,400 kg) curb weight, the three-seat 1974 Estate Wagons are easily the heaviest Buicks ever built, even heavier than the Buick Limited limousines of 1936-42. The 1971-1976 models were the largest station wagons ever built.

That is a ton (2.7 to be exact ) of American steel to pilot down the road! Those are not barges; they are supertankers haha

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/13 4:24 p.m.

Oh man, that blue Buick is calling to me. Why hasn't it sold yet?

I don't know if my driveway, from my garage to the sidewalk, is long enough for it however. But man oh man, that's what I'm talkin' about.

David S. Wallens
7/18/13 4:25 p.m.

I need to get this one on scales. I'm finding a listed weight of 4933 pounds for the model I got. We should do an over/under contest--over or under 5000 pounds?

Also, interesting note: only 3964 produced that year with the two-seat configuration.

David S. Wallens
7/18/13 4:26 p.m.
ZOO wrote: Oh man, that blue Buick is calling to me. Why hasn't it sold yet? I don't know if my driveway, from my garage to the sidewalk, is long enough for it however. But man oh man, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Yeah, the blue Buick looks nice. I think is also a case where the later impact bumpers work well.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/18/13 5:13 p.m.

I don't know why it hasn't sold yet either. It has been up for at least two weeks. Maybe rust issues? Seems pretty solid though. I wonder if he would trade for a 1995 Mustang GT?

I caught myself noticing the bumpers as well. They don't seem so foreign. Maybe it's the acres of power blue? LOL

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
7/18/13 5:21 p.m.

Wow--I REALLY want to see this thing sitting a bit lower on some larger/wider wheels. So many ways to go with it.

I love these oddball, "forgotten" cars of the 70's. It's just plain interesting. I'd so much rather see something like that at a cruise than another CamEro or Mustang.

Amazing that you're only the second owner.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
7/18/13 5:23 p.m.

I've got one of these on my wish list

David S. Wallens
7/18/13 6:10 p.m.

Just went to drive home.

Click.

My wife is still at her office, so I called AAA. The driver came out and gave me a jump. We checked the voltage, and a few are missing. I had a feeling the alternator was fading.

There's an alternator rebuild place down the street as well as a new Acura here at the office, so I think I'm okay.

Gotta say, the AAA driver was here in minutes. He was very nice and helpful, too.

David S. Wallens
7/18/13 6:19 p.m.

And bigger wheels? Maybe. Or, let's say wider. I personally don't want to go any larger than 15s.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
7/18/13 6:32 p.m.

Trans-Am honeycombs would be pretty sweet. As would T/A snowflakes. 17" Trans Am honeycombs would rule.

16's wouldn't be so blasphemous, either.

Seems like making it look a bit more muscular could be done fairly cheaply.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
7/18/13 6:59 p.m.
gamby wrote: Trans-Am honeycombs would be pretty sweet. As would T/A snowflakes. 17" Trans Am honeycombs would rule. 16's wouldn't be so blasphemous, either. Seems like making it look a bit more muscular could be done fairly cheaply.

Not going to be so easy. The Firebird wheels are 5x4.75, this is 5x5.

It could probably be done - you could put 1LE rotors on the front like the 2nd gen F body guys do to "reduce" it to 5x4.75. In the back you might be able to find same-length axles already drilled for 5x4.75 or redrill the existing axles and move the studs. In any case we don't know that the owner is even interested in this option.

Sorry about the mistake in my earlier post - I actually know better, having two f-body's and 3 sets of wheels. That's what I get for posting in a rush.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
7/18/13 8:41 p.m.

In reply to SEADave: Firebird wheels are 5x4.75, all F body wheels are 5 x4.75. Either a custom drilled set from one of the shops reproducing them (Year One comes to mind) or adapters from the 5x5 to 5x4.75 would work. Maybe some custom axles re-drilled for 5x4.75 and a rotor/spindle setup for a midsize GM (A or maybe early G body) could be made to work. Personally I think a set of 15 x 8 Rally II's would look hot on that wagon if he could find some. There was a place that would widen the old school steel wheels like the Rally II's, the Mopar rally wheels and the Magnum 500's. I think it was called Stockton wheel works? Wonder if they are still in business..

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/18/13 8:52 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I've got one of these on my wish list

IMHO the best looking mid size wagon ever made.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/18/13 9:36 p.m.

i might be wrong, but i think some of the big Fords of the mid 70's had a 15X7 Magnum 500 wheel with the 5X5 bolt pattern.. they are pretty close to the Buick rally wheels in the looks department...

otherwise another good choice would be 80's Chev/GMC 1/2 ton 15X8 rally wheels...paint them black, put some beauty rings on them, wrap them with some 275/60 tires, and there ya go. .the speedometer should still be correct, too..

another option: stock car wheels. they just look good on anything.....

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
7/19/13 12:38 a.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

This is s good idea. Diamond racing wheels can be had in any offset/bolt pattern out there on the cheap. Thus why the stance crowd likes them.

Bummer that the 5x5 pattern is so odd.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/19/13 7:18 a.m.

15x8 truck rallys painted body color with trim rings and a buick badge on the center caps and 275/60's all around.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/13 9:28 a.m.

I may have just emailed about the blue Buick. I may have just looked for a cheap flight south . . .

Why wouldn't I buy a 35 year old car, unseen, with plans to drive it 2000 miles back home? It's an old GM, I can't imagine any breakdown would be catastrophic.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NmwtiPcXw9mjcpExK5MzPATut9NuF4cd3oKLKCvKvJUxtPuI6gfMVMmUZVK3JFk7