1 2 3 4
stroker
stroker UberDork
2/11/22 10:19 a.m.

to form a micro-manufacturer car company?  Seems like we've got a full spectrum of skill sets from wrench-benders to bean counters to stylists to executives on tap.  Might a discussion thread of what car we'd "build" be worth pursuing?  We could outsource the drivetrain and try to crunch the numbers just for mental exercise, perhaps?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/11/22 10:25 a.m.

Oh, we most definitely could.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader

This sounds fun. I'll bring my strongest talents to the table. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork

We've got so many members that the planning committee would never get anything accomplished before retiring to the GRM Challenge for inspiration.  We'd never get anything done.  Then once we did, I'm not sure there's much of a market for a diesel powered 12b four door Miata wagon with wind up windows, no driver aids and a wash out rubber matted interior along with an 8' bed and 12k lb's towing capacity with standard 15" Kosi KS1's.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/22 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/11/22 11:16 a.m.

Big problem is location.  Where are we gonna set up at?  And don't say the Bad Decision Triangle.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/22 11:17 a.m.

Electric F2T engined Biturbos with Miata running gear?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/11/22 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

...I think it has to be the BDT. We could take over the old DSM plant in Normal, IL once Rivian goes under. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
2/11/22 11:32 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/11/22 11:56 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

We've got so many members that the planning committee would never get anything accomplished before retiring to the GRM Challenge for inspiration.  We'd never get anything done.  Then once we did, I'm not sure there's much of a market for a diesel powered 12b four door Miata wagon with wind up windows, no driver aids and a wash out rubber matted interior along with an 8' bed and 12k lb's towing capacity with standard 15" Kosi KS1's that comes in brown with a plaid interior and a manual transmission.

You missed a spot.  But I'm picking nits here.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
2/11/22 12:12 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

I came here to say this but knew in my heart someone would beat me to it.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/11/22 12:14 p.m.

Yep.  While the GRM forum has an amazing amount of diverse knowledge, it also has an exceptionally diverse number of opinions, most of them valid.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/22 12:18 p.m.

I'd want to help and I'm totally good with being a cog in the r&d department with no opinions of my own. Cheap too.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/11/22 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

They are all valid.  Well, except those contrary to minedevil

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/11/22 12:50 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Yep.  While the GRM forum has an amazing amount of diverse knowledge, it also has an exceptionally diverse number of opinions, most of them valid.

Thats fine.  We just end up with several wildly different product lines that share absolutely nothing with each other and all do the exact same job on the race track exceptionally well.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
2/11/22 12:51 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I don't think that 'collectively' even needs to be part of the equation. Just let nocones finish the LMP360, then tell him to make some body molds and get cracking on building more of them.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
2/11/22 1:18 p.m.

I'll be in charge of devils advocate left handed off color solutions to problems that don't exist.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/22 1:19 p.m.

Factory maintenance? I'm in.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
2/11/22 2:22 p.m.

We would fail epically because we would only build two types of cars:

V12 Miata look alikes that were so narrow focused only 6 people a year would by them.

Cars that retailed for slightly over $2000 with questionable mechanical parts.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
2/11/22 2:38 p.m.

Sounds good

Lets do a sporty wagon with a third pedal. It can have a hybrid system, on roof put solar panels to help charge

Staggered wheels

Turbo

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
2/11/22 3:50 p.m.

Can we do like others have and keep producing an older model with changes to save on tooling and engineering costs.  Like the Mexican VW Beetles, or the ones I can't think of right now.

GRM Vehicle line up.

Wagon class, BMW E39 body, Generic hybrid drivetrain.

Truck class, Toyota solid axle 4X4, two and four door, same drivetrain as wagon.

Sports Class, NA or NB, offer electric or Turbo gas.

Crossover class, Isuzu Vehicross  because it is the only crossover that should still live.

All vehicles have been engineered to have the existing drivetrains removed and replaced with LScoyoteHelliphanK2JZVK or flathead.  Third pedal is standard even if only used for practice with the stock drivetrain.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/22 3:52 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Yes! If we can get the B13 Sentra tooling.  They only recently stopped making it.

Imagine a B13 with a 1.0 Ecoboost instead of the SR20DE. (Or GA16DE)

stroker
stroker UberDork
2/11/22 4:18 p.m.

We should take a page from FSAE and manufacture the perfect track day car for the masses.  Inexpensive to buy/operate/maintain with enough performance to be fun and safe enough to not put your life/limbs at serious risk.  

Seriously.  We do two designs--one a formula car and the other uses an existing street car with the addition of safety and performance mods. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/22 4:41 p.m.
stroker said:

We should take a page from FSAE and manufacture the perfect track day car for the masses.  Inexpensive to buy/operate/maintain with enough performance to be fun and safe enough to not put your life/limbs at serious risk.  

Seriously.  We do two designs--one a formula car and the other uses an existing street car with the addition of safety and performance mods. 

I always thought that the motor from my FiST would be a great thing to build on, too bad Ford pulled it from the US. I'd think you'd want something that you can easily get parts and support for. Even so, there is so much aftermarket for the 1.6 I still think it could work. 

Build a formula-type car that could be used for autocross or track days. Maybe a fiberglass body for restricted street use. Yes, sounds like an 818, but I am hoping to get it REAL low cost to start and add lights, seats, etc from the junkyard. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/11/22 4:43 p.m.
stroker said:

oooooo. Even if only as an engineering exercise, this is cool. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G0HHWz4e0vHtoL5KWTT82XXjuOfjLDh028lSJu5HQDILnajFRzmYw5bfQj0RS0a9