Crossworth
Crossworth New Reader
1/14/21 4:53 p.m.

Hello Fellow GRM and CMM enthusiasts,

Does anyone know about this touring that was upgraded to m3 spec while maintaining the "sleeper" look?

This is a project i would like to embark if I had someone helping me. 

Or perhaps, if I could afford to buy one that is ready to go and enjoy.

Any assistance is locating the creator, Mark David ( as posted on the article) or locating one that is for sale would be greatly appreciated.  I would be interested on what is involved in the transformation.

Thank you

Steve

Crossworth1 @ gmail

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/21 5:29 p.m.

I've wanted to build one of these for years. For resources, check out the Touring group on www.e46fanatics.com. There is also an active M3 Touring group on FB. Lots of owners and builders there. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/14/21 5:44 p.m.

Kaiv on the NA M3 Forum has built many of them, probably over 10. He is in southern California. 

You can find him on Instagram as "limited.slip" as well. Kaiv’s IG

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
1/14/21 7:01 p.m.

This, sir, is what I call "the balls". Love this E36 M3.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/14/21 7:11 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

That’s definitely an E46.

lolol, I crack myself up.

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
1/14/21 9:58 p.m.

I've converted a few e90 wagons. Im currently daily driving a 6mt black wagon.

What kind of questions do you have? E90 is a better chassis IMO

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
1/15/21 7:14 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:
Olemiss540 said:

That’s definitely an E46.

lolol, I crack myself up.

UltraDORK indeed!

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
1/15/21 7:15 a.m.
Nofive_0 said:

How's the S54 integration in an e90? From memory, the hard part for an m3 wagon is the suspension. Rear coilover options being nil. Dang your wagon looks sweet. Love the roofline.

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
1/15/21 8:53 a.m.

That current wagon has the original N52 in it. It's a daily. 

If you're going to build an e91 put an n54 in it. Then you will have big block levels of torque.

In an e46 wagon putting in an s54 is pretty straightforward. You have to get the DME, CAS, and key from the donor. Or, what most do, is send out your wagon parts to be matched with the s54 DME. Everything else is bolt in. 

Be concerned about rear subframe mounts. They have a tendency to remove themselves from the car.

​​

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/21 8:58 a.m.

I've seen a few 535i motor swaps in an e91 chassis.  That's probably the best bang for the buck power

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/15/21 9:02 a.m.

Glad that you dug the piece. And, yes, very cool car. I'll ping the owner about this tread. 

Crossworth
Crossworth New Reader
7/6/22 10:59 p.m.

Thank you fellow enthusiast for your input.  Good news ( for me ) I was able to find two Tourings.

The white is a ZHP swap with a 6spd.

The Silver is an s54 swap.  I am thinking to attend Classic MotorSports Monterey Kick-off on Aug 16, 2022. 

https://montereykickoff.com/

@dyintorace : Thank you for the tip. I did see the  FB page you mentioned.  There is another e46Touring Owners FB page that was helpful in tracking down the tourings  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1165268167638786

@Slippery: I have spoken Kevin in San Diego as well as George Hill in Austin Texas. I was going to pull the trigger and these tourings showed -up looking for a new home, and so I adopted them.

@Nofive : I agree! E90's Tourings are better platforms.  I test drove one and it felt like a rocket ship compared to an e46.            I had no clue I could dive into a 20mph on-ramp at close to 50 and live to tell with an e90T.  But at the end of the day, my heart prefers the "old school" look of the e46Tourings, its like my first crush in the BMW touring realm.

@PlaceMotorSports : Wait until a modded / swapped e90T shows up on BaT and watch bidders go hog wild. If my first luv was not an e46T.  I would be all over the E90 Platform.  I truly feel its a better bang for your buck, especially if you are commissioning a builder which I was so close to doing so.

@David S. Wallace ( editor at large ) : Perhaps I will meet you in person.  I tend to bump into Tim S. , Marjorie S.  and Peter Brock during Monterey Car Week.  Yes, I do subscribe to GRM and CMM magazines, which is refreshing to view a hardcopy magazine during the digital age. I look forward to walking to the mailbox (LoL). 

Thank you everyone for your support and input.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/7/22 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Nofive_0 :

Sorta threadjack. What about swapping a six speed into a 1st gen X1 rwd. What is that E84? Ever heard of that being done?

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
7/8/22 7:35 p.m.

The e84 x1 is pretty much a e91 with taller tires chassis wise.  All the rwd models came with the n20 4 cylinder, they need timing chains at around 70000 miles.  So for reliability you would probably want to swap to a n55 6 cylinder at the same time.  The sub frames are close enough that mechanical bits should be easy.  Electronics could be more difficult, I'm not sure if they were offered in any market with a manual so coding the car to look for the correct inputs could be a challenge.

ArmednHammerd
ArmednHammerd New Reader
7/10/22 7:13 p.m.
Nofive_0 said:

Me too! I traded up from a silver e46 wagon to my black e91, both manuals. I have to agree the e91 is a better overall daily driver, but the e46 felt a bit more playful.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/22 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Crossworth :

Glad you found what you were looking for! They both look great!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QLCDZuq68NXlr9vCxvl3ex5d8PlKyjTTWsuokWobIk7sidGeRGgGWjtheScsbsbu