Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/23/16 1:17 p.m.

jack

Anyone have experience with it? Seems like the ticket for the caprice, 700r4 weighs less them 450 and local rental yard suck

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
6/23/16 1:26 p.m.

I have one and haven't died yet. Used on an M5OD trans in a ranger a few times, I'm not sure it would do 450 lbs though

Antihero
6/23/16 1:31 p.m.

Glad to hear. 700r4 is like....180lbs? So that's all I need

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
6/23/16 1:35 p.m.

Sure wish I had that when I did a 700r4 in my garage...by myself (on the way out). Had to recruit a friend to get it back in.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/16 1:53 p.m.

I have that. Its ok for helping lift but its not so great for holding anything but a flat bottom auto trans. just not much adjustability of the loading surface.

Also, the screwing it up and down is a pain, but doable.

Make sure you use the strap.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
6/23/16 2:04 p.m.

I had one when I performed a clutch change in the Focus. Allowed me to do the work solo. I used a scrap piece of 2x4 to position the transmission in place when raising/loading, since the transmission was round on the bottom.

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/23/16 2:05 p.m.

I have one, but I've needed to build wooden jigs that sit on top of it to help align things.

It is a pain to move up and down by hand, but I used a drill to actuate it.

At full extension it was kinda floppy with an SM465 sitting on top.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
6/23/16 2:16 p.m.

I have one that I've never used, but I have used similar. With a transmission on the, they are tippy as all get out and not willing to roll over anything but a polished cement floor.

About the 3rd time it all falls over I chuck the jack and start stacking lumber.

When that fails, I end up on my back, under the transmission, arms and legs attempting to hump the whole thing into place.

At which point I remember people telling me to pull the engine and transmission as a unit and join them together outside the car. It's also usually about 2 am and I'm deeply regretting my decisions.

Antihero
6/23/16 2:57 p.m.

Ordered it. I have a nice flat concrete floor and it'll be way easier than stacking lumber

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/23/16 2:57 p.m.

First one died on the first drop. Replacement has done 3 since and still works awesome.

Will
Will UltraDork
6/23/16 3:25 p.m.

I've used this successfully for removing/installing transmissions, diff housings, etc.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
6/23/16 3:33 p.m.

That's the one I have. Not ideal of course, but it beats the hell out of not having one! You're definately going to want to use an impact for the main lowering/raising, and a ratchet for fine adjustment.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
6/23/16 3:39 p.m.

I have one. Worked fine on a C4 Vette ZF6 and on an F-body T56, and those are pretty big/heavy transmissions as far as manuals go.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/23/16 5:23 p.m.

When you replace the transmission in a Frielightliner semi, that rental jack will be worth it.

Antihero
6/23/16 7:40 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: When you replace the transmission in a Frielightliner semi, that rental jack will be worth it.

Lol I'm sure it will

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
6/23/16 10:23 p.m.

This jack it well worth the money as you can tilt the trans both ways.

Much better jack.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/24/16 5:20 a.m.
Donebrokeit wrote: This jack it well worth the money as you can tilt the trans both ways. Much better jack.

That's the one I have. With coupons and sales, got it for $80. Used to take out the transaxle from my Acura Legend, a Ford C6 out of an F-350, 36-gallon fuel tank from a GMT-400 3500HD and the trans from my Miata.

tester
tester New Reader
6/24/16 6:50 a.m.

In reply to Antihero:

Yep. It works OK for lite weight transmissions. A C6 broke mine. I would buy the hydraulic jack type next time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
06nHIjVUfjH0kglSEoybTR5jxvOQoZo2Yu2I0HUFH9oJSRmANmFMJUyEc72q9kz3