1 2
ponycarman
ponycarman New Reader
6/2/09 9:41 p.m.

A few days ago I found a 1986 BMW 325es coupe for $400. I went back up to look at it today, I figured it would be a neat car to tinker with then flip for a small profit. I looked it over and it apeared to have no major rust or damage anywhere. The dealer said it has a leaking rear main seal. I think it might be the oil pan gasket but I will see a little later. When I got to the dealer they informed me that the car just quit running one day and because of this they dropped the price to $300. We looked it over for a little while when I suddely discovered something we all didn't know. You have to push the brake pedal to start the car. When it was all said and done they gave the car to me for $300. I know it is a 325es and it is not the most powerful of the e30's and I know it is an automatic. I still like the car and for $300 I can afford to do some upgrades. I know that some places you can find 5-speed 325i's for good prices but I can never find them around my area. But I did get a $100 off a good running car. Hope to get it home tomorrow and see what I can do to it.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
6/2/09 9:46 p.m.

Sounds great even if its an auto.

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
6/2/09 9:51 p.m.

Plan on changing the timing belt ASAP. I agree: reasonably priced, good-condition e30 325i/is's are just about a thing of the past where I live.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/2/09 9:52 p.m.

Awesome!

A co-worker did the same thing with his car, he drove up to the ATM, turned the car off, got some cash, car wouldn't start, after about 30 mins of trying he called AAA and when the tow truck came, the driver hopped in, started it right up after compressing the brake pedal.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/2/09 10:10 p.m.

I paid $5000 for my 87 cabrio

But it was rather pristine. Ended up selling it back to the same guy I bought it from for $4800 :)

Congrats on the score.

pres589
pres589 New Reader
6/2/09 10:37 p.m.

I'd be curious as to how exactly that car is wired to not allow it to start without pressure on the brake pedal.

griffin729
griffin729 New Reader
6/2/09 10:51 p.m.
pres589 wrote: I'd be curious as to how exactly that car is wired to not allow it to start without pressure on the brake pedal.

I don't remember exactly what it's called but there is an interrupt switch on the brake pedal it's not uncommon on automatics nowadays. Pretty simple switch wired in series with the ignition switch before the relay will close. My subie has the same thing on the clutch pedal.

ponycarman
ponycarman New Reader
6/2/09 10:54 p.m.

Yeah, most newer car won't let you put it in gear with out your foot on the brake. I'm glad that the BMW won't start completely because it saved me $100!!

Duke
Duke Dork
6/3/09 6:01 a.m.
Carson wrote: A co-worker did the same thing with his car, he drove up to the ATM, turned the car off, got some cash, car wouldn't start, after about 30 mins of trying he called AAA and when the tow truck came, the driver hopped in, started it right up after compressing the brake pedal.

So how did your coworker get to the ATM in the first place...?

Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/3/09 9:06 a.m.
Duke wrote: So how did your coworker get to the ATM in the first place...?

He drove, just in the time between stopping the car at the ATM and trying to start it again he forgot about putting his foot on the brake. I don't think this was ever taught to him by the dealer, it was a Saab 9-3, it was just something you naturally do when you get in the car, step on the brake, then start. He's not a moron either, typically, haha.

On a similar note, when I drive my wife's car, an automatic, sometimes I cannot figure out why the key won't come out when I turn the car off. It takes me a few seconds to remember to put the shifter in 'P'

ponycarman
ponycarman New Reader
6/3/09 10:29 a.m.

Here it is!!Photobucket" /> Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Duke
Duke Dork
6/3/09 10:43 a.m.

Dude. I'd put a 5-speed and a non-eta engine in that thing, strip out the interior, and flog the crap out of it between the cones and at every track day I could drive it to. Nice score for $300!

[edit] Dammit! Now I just went looking at ads for E30s and found a couple I'd really like to buy. Why do we do that to ourselves?

cwh
cwh Dork
6/3/09 10:46 a.m.

This is one time wnen it really will "buff right out"!

jpaturzo
jpaturzo New Reader
6/3/09 10:47 a.m.
Carson wrote: Awesome! A co-worker did the same thing with his car, he drove up to the ATM, turned the car off, got some cash, car wouldn't start, after about 30 mins of trying he called AAA and when the tow truck came, the driver hopped in, started it right up after compressing the brake pedal.

I will admit that a VW Fox once defeated me in a very similar fashion. Turns out the car won't start unless the driver side seat belt is used.

Teutonic fail.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/09 11:33 a.m.

I need an e30 eta in good shape. I can get my hands on another M44 and 5speed to drop into one.. add the eurobumpers for lightness and you have classic looks with a more modern engine

captain_napalm
captain_napalm New Reader
6/3/09 11:33 a.m.
jpaturzo wrote: I will admit that a VW Fox once defeated me in a very similar fashion. Turns out the car won't start unless the driver side seat belt is used. Teutonic fail.

Must be a VW thing, I had a Jetta that did the same.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/3/09 11:39 a.m.

home run dude.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/09 11:41 a.m.

why is the BMW emblem on the steering wheel backwards?

ponycarman
ponycarman New Reader
6/3/09 12:23 p.m.

It's just upside down.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
6/3/09 1:35 p.m.

Looks like a sweet find for $300. I'd swap the trans and have a nice DD. 'Grats!

Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/3/09 9:48 p.m.

Does the steering wheel say "BooBee LUV?"

ponycarman
ponycarman New Reader
6/3/09 11:02 p.m.

No its "Baibee LUV" I guess they mean baby luv. Either way that will be cleaned off!!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/3/09 11:32 p.m.
cwh wrote: This is one time wnen it really will "buff right out"!

I'd love to get my buffer on that thing for a day. I'd add a grand to the value of it...

ponycarman
ponycarman New Reader
6/3/09 11:53 p.m.

I buffed a small portion of the the hood yesterday and It is going to shine up pretty good. I am going to try to buff and polish the rest of the car today. I'll post some more pictures after its polished up.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/09 3:19 p.m.
  • Wheel out the paint
  • paint the front fascia matte black
  • spraycan undercoat the wheelwells
  • clean the rims and tires
  • hide the wires hanging under the dash
  • sell for $1500

find the GRM back issue with the blue miata on the cover, i believe it's the "Trash to Treasure" issue. follow that article to the letter. profit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AlCGqOI44CFBRMuOSbzdGNQet4gWL4VGalifO37JJIG1XpXyb6tvG5RrY75K4k4D