1 2 3 4 ... 10
Aeromoto
Aeromoto New Reader
8/31/11 9:52 a.m.

The concept looks kinda cool, but for serious rally I wouldn't lift the car too much and kill the center of gravity. I'd also hate to kill the gear ratios with a big tire.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
8/31/11 11:12 a.m.

They say the answer is always Miata or E30.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
8/31/11 11:19 a.m.

Okay, I've been daydreaming about something sinister, er, ah, similar. buy an auction P71 and one of these lift kits: DONK

But instead of 26" rims, run a set of 35" super swampers, a police-issue brush bar and KC HiLites on the roof.

It would be nearly useless, and only you guys would understand how cool it really was.

I really like the knobby Subies, especially the Outbacks for some reason

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
8/31/11 11:22 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
JThw8 wrote: I'll just leave this here....
I was about to post that until I saw your post. I don't understand the point though.

Generally I agree, I have seen posts from a few guys over on the smart forums who actually needed better ground clearance due to living/working in remote areas but generally I dont get it, but it's still amusing.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
8/31/11 11:33 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Okay, I've been daydreaming about something sinister, er, ah, similar. buy an auction P71 and one of these lift kits: DONK But instead of 26" rims, run a set of 35" super swampers, a police-issue brush bar and KC HiLites on the roof. It would be nearly useless, and only you guys would understand how cool it really was.

Ok now I want one too.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
8/31/11 11:39 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
JThw8 wrote: I'll just leave this here....
I was about to post that until I saw your post. I don't understand the point though.
Generally I agree, I have seen posts from a few guys over on the smart forums who actually needed better ground clearance due to living/working in remote areas but generally I dont get it, but it's still amusing.

What would be utterly stupid but completely awesome is that lift kit plus the Suzuki GSXR engine swap kit in a Smart.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
8/31/11 12:20 p.m.

I just saw this thing parked at the local Dairy Queen a few minutes ago.

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
8/31/11 1:33 p.m.

you know a honda crv would be a neat awd / manual trans hoon toy !

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/11 1:49 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: <

am I wrong to like this?

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
8/31/11 1:59 p.m.
failboat wrote:
ultraclyde wrote: Okay, I've been daydreaming about something sinister, er, ah, similar. buy an auction P71 and one of these lift kits: DONK But instead of 26" rims, run a set of 35" super swampers, a police-issue brush bar and KC HiLites on the roof. It would be nearly useless, and only you guys would understand how cool it really was.
Ok now I want one too.

Just earlier today I was looking at the older (mid 90's) P71s that can run 15" wheels. Why? Because their stock tire size is 215/70R15 and you can get some gnarly knobbies in the barely bigger 215/75R15 size. Rallycross even more fun when you've got super aggressive tires

And because it's always worth sharing, you don't need to lift the car much (if at all) to get the butch offroad look...case in point, my buddy's LeSabre on 27" Swampers:

I've often wondered if suspension bits from any of the modern crossovers would bolt up to the chassis of the cars that they're based on.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/31/11 2:11 p.m.
cghstang wrote: Just earlier today I was looking at the older (mid 90's) P71s that can run 15" wheels. Why? Because their stock tire size is 215/70R15 and you can get some gnarly knobbies in the barely bigger 215/75R15 size. Rallycross even more fun when you've got super aggressive tires

Minor thread derail: Can you point me toward some of these tires? They'd be great for a samurai or sidekick or such.

Thanks!

I kind of want to start a thread of the opposite...AWD/4WD stuff that's been dropped (thinking GM Syclone/Typhoon clones and such). I'm afraid of how I'll look at craigslist afterwards though (this thread does the same thing).

Clem

ThePhranc
ThePhranc New Reader
8/31/11 2:13 p.m.

I'd like to see a Nissan Juke raised up. I really dig those little things. Or the new 2 door Rover.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
8/31/11 2:19 p.m.
eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
8/31/11 2:22 p.m.

I'm leaning towards lifting my Legacy after this year's rallyx season is over. Outback struts (and sometimes camber bolts) are apparently all that is needed. Raises the car a bit more than a stock Outback, as long as you don't install the subframe spacers.

Last time I was under the car, I noticed quite a bit of scuffing on the skidplates, and the gas tank has a couple of dents I don't think were there when I first bought it.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
8/31/11 2:31 p.m.

Did you say lifted cars?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2574527419.html

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/31/11 2:34 p.m.

In reply to cghstang:

Nice, THANKS!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/11 2:45 p.m.

My Miata should be lifted a little more than stock once I get the new suspension setup on it. If only my parts from FCM would get here that I ordered on June 17 .

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/31/11 3:10 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Nobody did it better than AMC:

^ this

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
8/31/11 7:54 p.m.

Rallying is not for the faint of heart.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
8/31/11 8:03 p.m.

It helped tremendously for my rally crosser

Then my son thought he would be funny and put 16's on it

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 New Reader
8/31/11 8:56 p.m.

This XC did Paris to Dakar. Well most of it.

Not really a fair comparison, it's HIGHLY modified. Solid axlels (Portals from Volvo military truck) and leaf springs. Powered with a Volvo D5 Diesel.

IPD did this one, much more tame:

• Lee
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
8/31/11 9:12 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: IPD did this one, much more tame:

SO so awesome wow

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
8/31/11 9:25 p.m.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1228188

Enjoy.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
8/31/11 9:31 p.m.

Here's my mighty Geo:

Only a 1.5" lift, but with skid plates and good driving it's much more capable than anything my friends have managed to put together, so I love it. It has also greatly expanded my mountain biking opportunities, as my e30 can't get to most of the good trails in the area.

Oh, and there is nothing more pleasing than pulling a jeep out of a mud puddle with your Geo, if you were curious.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/31/11 9:58 p.m.
Taiden wrote:

Caswell's build looks awesome.

1 2 3 4 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S6s8oLWgNwZ4kCunoan3tRc7H5fdCGurbdniNxsbdIfg4lhfOBkPOLgdWlWxyjqc