Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/24 7:05 p.m.

Hey guys, I am in a big bind and need some help.

I am leaving on a 4k mile trip this weekend on my '87 e30 and the radiator is leaking at the seam.

My car has the early style cooling system, which I think makes it more difficult to source this part. Drivers side hose is on bottom and passenger side on top

Can anyone help me find a radiator in time so I do not miss this trip? I have been struggling with a bunch of parts on this car rushing to finish it up and I feel defeated.

BMW PN 17111468074

Nissens makes PN 60663 which should work

I checked:

FCP: does not have it - marked as discontinued
Rockauto: does not have it
ECS Tuning: Ships from manufacturer (Nissen) on 10/9 - too late
Advance Auto: Ships from the manufacturer and cannot be overnighted

Bimmerworld: I just shoot an email through their website to please tell me whether they have it in stock, can get it to me in time or have an alternative.

I am trying to find a radiator repair shop, but they really do not exist anymore near me.

Even a used in working condition is acceptable at this time.

Any help is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Slippery
9/30/24 7:12 p.m.

Some pictures in case it helps:

Will edit in a bit. For some reason I cant post pics. 

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
9/30/24 7:46 p.m.

Check with Condor Speed Shop and Bimmer Bum. Condor is in the Miami area and Bimmer Bum in Charlotte NC. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
9/30/24 7:47 p.m.
Slippery
9/30/24 7:48 p.m.

In reply to EchoTreeSix :

I'll call Condor tomorrow morning. Thanks as I had completely forgotten to check with them!!

Bimmer Bum I dont know but I will check  

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
9/30/24 7:54 p.m.

I just checked with a friend of mine in NC that parts out BMWs--he said he has one, and he'll reply on this post. Good luck!

dcorliss
dcorliss New Reader
9/30/24 7:56 p.m.

Hey Slippery,  Tom just reached out to me. I have one of those radiators in my basement. Used and old, but it wasn't leaking. I can overnight it to you if you want. 

Also, you can actually buy an all-aluminum replacement for these from Oreilly's, Murray brand. I just put one in my car. I'm not sure it'll get to you on time but worth a shot.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/murray-heat-transfer/murray-heat-transfer-radiator/rht0/433253/v/a/987/automotive-car-1987-bmw-325is?q=Radiator+1987+bmw&pos=0&fbclid=IwY2xjawFoGcNleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHfT5xh41nmRhH3aSW6cm-b4-qwNGwpi_uPEFsWfIhzPUMV4gs5Vj-sRKtg_aem_1oMRFnPj9kgpdAm0zytqDQ

Maybe you can order this one, and I'll also send you mine, and hopefully one of the two will work for you?

- Danny

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
9/30/24 8:45 p.m.

Solution in an hour.  I love this thread and I love GRM!

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
9/30/24 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

For sure! Looks like you have some options. Gotta ask - where are you headed?

For future reference, Eric from Bimmer Bum is a legit dude. Pretty much walked me through putting an updated suspension on my e36 and I haven't even bought from them yet. Definitely gonna when the time comes.

Slippery
9/30/24 9:05 p.m.

Ok guys.

I am not one to stress but this car, which has been one of the most reliable cars in the 15 years I owned it, decided to drive me nuts in the last week. Just when I need it. My stress level was at 1000 earlier today and thanks to the GRM folks its gone down pretty close to 0.

Got in touch with Danny and decided on a two prong approach. The O'Reilly one looks like mine, but for some reason the website says it does not fit ... so this is what I did:

- Ordered the O'Reilly one which should be here tomorrow
- Danny is shipping me his old one which should be here on Thursday as a back up.

Thanks Tom for putting me in touch with Danny, I owe you big time.

I am headed to Ozarks National Forest in Arkansas for the Overcrest Rally. Hopefully the car has had enough of throwing hissy fits. Wish me luck!

Overcrest Rally

Slippery
9/30/24 9:07 p.m.

And thank you to everyone that posted and offered help or even posted and kept the thread up top!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/30/24 10:10 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

That looks like a lot of fun. Please post progress reports and lots of pictures !!

Slippery
9/30/24 11:22 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Will do!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
9/30/24 11:22 p.m.

Awesome, good luck!

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
9/30/24 11:42 p.m.

From the 2023 video that looks like a fun event!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jZdwTov1ij01A7J3op8X92WfFCt1LHsuNIdMcfq80kQF5F0bLmPecnYvKV2Coz4k