freestyle
freestyle Reader
1/16/15 11:18 a.m.

I've had a STS/STR Miata for the past 5 years or so. My oldest son and I have autocrossed and had great fun. We've loved the car(s) for all the standard Miata reasons. Son #2 is driving age now, but he's 6'3" with LONG legs and is still growing. He's got size 14-15 feet. His knees touch the dashboard with the seat all the way back, so something bigger. I'm thinking C4? Mustang? I know tire budget will go up. I'm not terribly concerned about being super competitive with my ham fisted driving skills. I'd like a track day or two a year in there too. I'd daily drive it, I put up with autocross Miata suspension just fine to show my tolerance level. $4-6K initial price, then add tires and wheels.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/15 11:55 a.m.

Since you're not concerned with winning and you daily drive it, I'd concentrate on the street use instead of the competition. You'll spend a lot more time in that mode.

kylini
kylini Reader
1/16/15 11:58 a.m.

Can't you make Lotus clones as long as you want? I'd daily that.

Or you can buy this one.

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/446389

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
1/16/15 12:42 p.m.

You aren't going to find much of a Mustang for 6k that will work for autocross. You can find '99-'04 GT's for that price but they're usually in rough shape and they're total dogs in FS and STU.

I'd say E36 or E46 coupe and build it for STX (they got totally hosed on the street classing).

Also, I don't know if you can find a Solstice for $6k, but that might be an option. I'm 6'4" and like your son, don't fit in an NA or NB Miata, but I fit in a Solstice.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/16/15 12:49 p.m.

You may also test fit a MR spyder. I know the rear end layout freed up a lot of room in the cabin but not sure how it was in leg room for 6'4" I know at 6'1 with long legs (35" inseam) I was totally comfortable in it.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/16/15 12:52 p.m.

C4 sounds like a winning idea.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
1/16/15 1:34 p.m.

E36 M3. They have depreciated to absurd levels and double as a fantastically capable daily driver. Fine for autocross out of the box, then as your budget allows, mod over time to be more competitive.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/16/15 4:04 p.m.

I've seen c5's as low as 7-8k which I know is a bit more but would be a lot more car. I like the e36 idea

freestyle
freestyle Reader
2/10/15 4:48 p.m.

So today I'm thinking 2004+ Mini 100K mile-ish(non-S) Everybody claims it has tons of room inside for a tall guy with snowshoe sized feet. A good daily driver and can be okay autocrossing. I've read about electrical fussy bits, and leaky sunroofs. So far I'm not scared. Should I be?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
2/10/15 6:51 p.m.

An STR s2000

All kidding aside, he would be a tight fit at 6'3. I have a friend at 6'6 and drives one, so it is possible. He has to roll down the windows by using his right hand under his left knee lol.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
2/10/15 8:48 p.m.

I like the E36, E46 and C4 Corvette ideas. I would also check out a FC RX-7 and a 240SX.

In reply to drdisque: Regionally, a good driver may still place well in the stock class with the BMWs.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
2/12/15 8:16 a.m.
freestyle wrote: So today I'm thinking 2004+ Mini 100K mile-ish(non-S) Everybody claims it has tons of room inside for a tall guy with snowshoe sized feet. A good daily driver and can be okay autocrossing. I've read about electrical fussy bits, and leaky sunroofs. So far I'm not scared. Should I be?

Due to some employment changes, we're thinking about getting rid of my wife's 2011 Cooper S with 46k miles. Nothing wrong with it, but just can't afford to keep it around anymore.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/12/15 8:32 a.m.

Focus SVT

chili_head
chili_head New Reader
2/12/15 8:53 a.m.

I am 6'4" and fit really well in my R53 Cooper S. It's a really fun car on the daily or autocrossing.

freestyle
freestyle Reader
2/12/15 1:38 p.m.
unevolved wrote:
freestyle wrote: So today I'm thinking 2004+ Mini 100K mile-ish(non-S) Everybody claims it has tons of room inside for a tall guy with snowshoe sized feet. A good daily driver and can be okay autocrossing. I've read about electrical fussy bits, and leaky sunroofs. So far I'm not scared. Should I be?
Due to some employment changes, we're thinking about getting rid of my wife's 2011 Cooper S with 46k miles. Nothing wrong with it, but just can't afford to keep it around anymore.

Sounds ideal, but I'm afraid it's out of my budget.

freestyle
freestyle Reader
2/12/15 1:39 p.m.
chili_head wrote: I am 6'4" and fit really well in my R53 Cooper S. It's a really fun car on the daily or autocrossing.

I think I'm going to copy you.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
2/12/15 2:12 p.m.
freestyle wrote:
unevolved wrote:

Small world, that's why I'm trying to get rid of it!

freestyle
freestyle Reader
2/12/15 2:25 p.m.
unevolved wrote:
freestyle wrote:
unevolved wrote:
Small world, that's why I'm trying to get rid of it!

We'll split the car during the week. I get it every other weekend.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fpZ3clW0sXBxn22i1rlAPLguetzOipbGHr2kL7pTFuv1DO0zFKuKds1ZAT8PNMpO