1 2 3
HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
9/25/14 9:07 a.m.

FWIW, I've driven a Lincoln LS-V8, (made from Jag S type parts), back when they were new, and it is a very enjoyable car to drive. I have no idea how their long term reliability is, but I still see a decent number of them running around, (and Jag S types too). There was also an LS sport model with V6 and 5spd, but they are probably unicorns now.

If you can find a nice one in your price range it would be worth checking out.

You guys can ignore all the stuff that I said earlier about Jag V12s, I want people to continue to be terrified of them, so that when I'm ready to get one, they will all be challenge priced.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
9/25/14 9:19 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: ...getting back to Panthers

Panther vs Jaguar, lol

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
9/25/14 9:24 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: FWIW, I've driven a Lincoln LS-V8, (made from Jag S type parts), back when they were new, and it is a very enjoyable car to drive. I have no idea how their long term reliability is, but I still see a decent number of them running around, (and Jag S types too). There was also an LS sport model with V6 and 5spd, but they are probably unicorns now. If you can find a nice one in your price range it would be worth checking out. You guys can ignore all the stuff that I said earlier about Jag V12s, I want people to continue to be terrified of them, so that when I'm ready to get one, they will all be challenge priced.

I've always found the LS to be an attractive car. IIRC the v6 was a ford duratec 3.0 and the only problem I can recall the v8 having was sudden timing chain tensioner failure.

A guy I used to work with had it happen when his was idling in his driveway. Luckily no valves were slapped and he fixed it the next day.

I still want one.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
9/25/14 9:59 a.m.

I daily drove a 1994 XJ40 (4.0L Inline 6) for most of my time in high school. I was able to maintain it working a minimum wage job. It only left me stranded once, and that was arguably my own fault for not wanting to replace a battery I new wasn't holding a charge very well.

Everything electrical worked, it was one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven, and doing burnouts in a full size luxury sedan will always put a smile on your face. I don't tend to drive my cars in a way that does anything to prolong their life span (I just maintain them religiously, instead) and the only real complaint I can remember having about my Jag was that the brake pads didn't seem to last very long - not driving it like you stole it would go a long way on fixing that aspect of things.

I'm still shopping for another Jag, this time I'd like an XJ6-R or series 1 or 2 car.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/25/14 10:13 a.m.

What about the XK? This one seems super cheap.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4679154373.html

mfennell
mfennell Reader
9/25/14 10:21 a.m.

I'm expecting my 152k mile '00 XJR to ultimately trade hands in the $4k range if I ever get it inspected (two not-readys that refuse to clear) and I think that's a reasonable private party price for a not perfect but reasonably well maintained car. I don't DD it because it drinks gas but it's been pretty reliable in the 5 years/30k miles I've had it. They're a little tight for 3 kids though.

Storz
Storz Dork
9/25/14 10:24 a.m.

I think a late 80s or early 90s XJS with a hot carbed 383ci Chevy would be a lot of fun.

This

PLUS THIS

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/25/14 10:56 a.m.
The_Jed wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: ...getting back to Panthers
Panther vs Jaguar, lol

And I used to own a '69 Cougar!

(Now even that has a double meaning!)

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
9/25/14 11:06 a.m.

In reply to mfennell:

Make sure to post it here when you do. There are some, including me, who might be quite interested, and prefer to buy from other GRMers as you usually get what is advertised.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
9/25/14 12:01 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: What about the XK? This one seems super cheap. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4679154373.html

The XK is pretty (particularly the coupe), but the back seat doesn't fit carseats or people with legs. The OP said he needs to seat three kids.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/25/14 4:44 p.m.

Then I got behind this beauty today!

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-79.jpg.html][/URL]

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/26/14 8:10 a.m.

My experience with S-type/Lincoln LS's isn't as good as the X308's, and they sell for the same money.

sjd
sjd New Reader
9/26/14 8:16 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Then I got behind this beauty today!

How long has it been for sale that he just decided to vinyl that fact on the rear window?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/26/14 9:16 a.m.
sjd wrote:
How long has it been for sale that he just decided to vinyl that fact on the rear window?

Exactly!

jde
jde Reader
9/26/14 10:55 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
sjd wrote:
Exactly!

Granted it's easier than it used to be, but I've always thought people that went to the trouble of getting vinyl cut, or better yet, painting, "For Sale - [Phone Number]" weren't particularly interested in actually selling anything.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/26/14 11:05 a.m.

In reply to jde:

I've seen cars at local shows that continue to be for sale from one season to the next.

The vinyl only makes sense if the guy owns a lettering shop!

Storz
Storz Dork
9/26/14 12:12 p.m.

Just keeping this thread alive with pictures of pretty things

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
9/26/14 2:16 p.m.
jde wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote:
sjd wrote:
Exactly!
Granted it's easier than it used to be, but I've always thought people that went to the trouble of getting vinyl cut, or better yet, painting, "For Sale - [Phone Number]" weren't particularly interested in actually selling anything.

Uh. Those letters come from a sub $4 packet available at every office supply store. A lot less hassle than dealing with a view blocking square for sale sign for not much more money. No one is getting that stuff custom cut.

jde
jde Reader
9/26/14 2:37 p.m.
Ditchdigger wrote: Uh. Those letters come from a sub $4 packet available at every office supply store. A lot less hassle than dealing with a view blocking square for sale sign for not much more money. No one is getting that stuff custom cut.

I know the pictured Jag was off-the-shelf lettering, but go to any cruise-in, car show, etc, and the odds are pretty good you'll see something with custom "For Sale" paint or vinyl work.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
9/26/14 3:48 p.m.

In reply to jde:

Ah OK. I tend to avoid cruise ins. Didn't realize it was a thing.

I remember thinking I was pretty cool when I did the vinyl lettering for sale sign on my dad's bug back in 89-90

You can sort of see it in the quarter windows in the old VW trends writeup.

photo page2.jpg

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/26/14 4:16 p.m.

I am waiting on a title for a 04 x type 3.0l awd silver with black leather interior (has the premium package with the bigger Alu wheels and what not). The trans on these is a bit weak but they can be had for about $800 used. I drove one and really liked it.

The one I am looking at needs a trans but is otherwise immaculate. I think it just needs the activators replaced in teh trans but I am going to pull the trans and send it out to a local trans shop that I have had rebuild things in the past for both street cars and race cars. They have a "recipe" for most every trans to make them bullet proof and so far I have not been able to kill a trans they have rebuilt for me. It will cost a couple $$$$$ but I will still be well under the NADA value of the car so I see it as a good investment in a DD that I have wanted for a while.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/26/14 4:17 p.m.

Not this car but it looks just like it.

Retail is about 7k Decent examples can be had for about 4K. One with a trans issue can be had for about $1500 or less

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/26/14 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Ditchdigger:

Good call though, I didn't even think of that.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UH2NHSIEQuKDr65NfafYw3UAaztAuhnZ5L9qDQdZ0yugIGFk8r23W3c13FvWv960