1 2
Cuda
Cuda Reader
1/31/14 4:08 p.m.

Anyone know why the Turner BMW had it's win taken away for the continental tire series? I was pretty happy when they won, and now I can't find anything.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
1/31/14 4:28 p.m.

Post race tech failure,not sure the issue but made for some VERY unhappy peoples. Someone should clarify this situation.

EP3CivicSi
EP3CivicSi New Reader
1/31/14 7:58 p.m.

From twitter, one of the racers from another team said they heard through the grape vine that there was "a hole in the intake" whatever that means. Not sure in the intake tube or manifold or what. It was twitter so i have no idea if thats accurate at all.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
1/31/14 8:14 p.m.

In before the first "Thanks NASCAR" post.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
1/31/14 8:15 p.m.

the hole theory is the best I've heard … something about the hole allowing more air to get in … allowing more fuel to get in …. something along those lines

by the time I left Daytona, nothing official had been reported

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
1/31/14 8:52 p.m.

From what I heard, there is a restrictor which has a plug in the intake haven't seen it, so I cannot go any further on that. Said plug had come out. This allowed for the hole and more air.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
1/31/14 9:32 p.m.

If the restrictor plate or something that makes it be restricted fell out, they need to be punted. I hope it wasn't intentional.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
1/31/14 9:40 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: If the restrictor plate or something that makes it be restricted fell out, they need to be punted. I hope it wasn't intentional.

This^^^

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
2/1/14 6:46 a.m.

well, that's one way to drum up interest and free publicity for a race series that a very few people in this country care about..

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
2/1/14 7:30 a.m.

except that the DQ only made a tiny aside in the papers … very few were talking about it at the track, where you'd find the majority of the people that would care about it …

there just wasn't any chatter about it … at all …

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
2/1/14 8:27 a.m.

then they have failed..

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/1/14 8:32 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: If the restrictor plate or something that makes it be restricted fell out, they need to be punted. I hope it wasn't intentional.

I'm a big fan on Turner, but this is 100% spot on. If they had an unfair advantage, intentional or not, they have to be DQ'd. Man do I hope it was unintentional though.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/1/14 8:34 a.m.
wbjones wrote: except that the DQ only made a tiny aside in the papers … very few were talking about it at the track, where you'd find the majority of the people that would care about it … there just wasn't any chatter about it … at all …

I would have been talking about it at the track, but I honestly didn't hear about it until I was wondering about the lap time differences between different classes of cars.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/1/14 8:35 a.m.

Looks like everyone is tight lipped on what the infraction was. Every article mentions an "infraction" and then goes on to talk about how the girl in the now winning car is the first woman to win a conti challenge race and how the other driver is Reba McEntire's son.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
2/1/14 8:46 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Looks like everyone is tight lipped on what the infraction was. Every article mentions an "infraction" and then goes on to talk about how the girl in the now winning car is the first woman to win a conti challenge race and how the other driver is Reba McEntire's son.

that was all the Daytona papers talked about

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 New Reader
2/1/14 12:39 p.m.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't show the last two hours of the race on Fox. I probably should have checked to see if the IMSA site was streaming it.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
2/1/14 5:30 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: I was a little disappointed that they didn't show the last two hours of the race on Fox. I probably should have checked to see if the IMSA site was streaming it.
  1. Wrong race...

2. It wasn't. The final hours of the Daytona 24 were on Fox Sports 1 (Used to be SPEED). You can read my rant about that HERE.

As for the Turner infraction, there is supposedly a rubber plug in the E9X M3 airbox from the factory. GS requires a stock OEM airbox (IIRC), and their airbox was missing that rubber plug. Again, whether intentional or not, it was not running to the regulations. I doubt it provided enough of an advantage to get them the victory by itself, but it is outside the rules.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
2/1/14 7:15 p.m.

Yeah, doubt it was intentional or that there was an advantage, but the car has to meet the regs.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
2/1/14 7:43 p.m.

it there had been any real advantage, I'm betting they wouldn't have had to have someone drop out for them to win … too bad for them

CrashDummy
CrashDummy New Reader
2/2/14 6:27 a.m.

I'm guessing it was a major violation. If it were minor they probably would have been penalized some number if points. A straight up disqualification is a huge penalty that will be tough to overcome in the championship.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
2/2/14 7:45 a.m.

which makes it "sound" like the authorities thought it was intentional

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
2/2/14 6:43 p.m.

I'm thinking Sebring a few years back. Fernandez Acura (Lowe's Sponsored LMP2 car) wins the class and DQ'd for a crack in the air box. Sebring is a harsh track...still failed the post race tech for stall test.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
2/2/14 7:03 p.m.

Does that particular class have some sort of restrictor plate? If so, and the plug in question was behind the plate, I can see it being an advantage.

It had to be a big deal of some sort to get DQ'd instead of a points penalty.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/14 7:32 p.m.

In classes with restrictors a crack should fail. Many NASCAR teams have made parts "fail" for an advantage either to defeat the restrictors plate or gain an aero advantage.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
2/2/14 9:54 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Does that particular class have some sort of restrictor plate? If so, and the plug in question was behind the plate, I can see it being an advantage. It had to be a big deal of some sort to get DQ'd instead of a points penalty.

Almost all of the cars in Conti racing have restrictor plates. Also, those restrictors are right behind the throttle body......so a hole in the OEM airbox wouldn't give any advantage in power. Sounds kind of petty to me, but rules are rules.

The saddest thing is that since the BMW's dominated, the competition adjustment will chop their balls off.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kx25iZSZBUTeX4GDzjCUxuZEsiO9gCAhhSGrbNShr2vu6C2F7J7psH3Hps2MrosF