1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/19 9:13 a.m.

Not sure which news is bigger: the move to mid-engine or the return of coil springs?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/19 9:16 a.m.

This thing looks sweeeeet.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/19 9:19 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
RevRico said:
spacecadet said:

holy crap the convertible looks amazing 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a28442207/2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-convertible/?src=socialflowFBRAT&fbclid=IwAR0qsLxtOPthFUyg6ulqwzTnD0YFFjbNfHX9Xojd5ccCt1Khd2YMYWRP5o4

Ooooo

When Mazda does that  it's not a convertible laugh Looks pretty darn cool though.

Mazda bridged the butresses 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/19/19 9:19 a.m.

I like the way it looks. Dimensionally how does it compare to the last generation? Since 1968 I have thought the Corvette show be Triumph sized and not XXL!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/19/19 9:23 a.m.

In reply to Mike :

Not the mandated backup camera, but the rearview mirror that's an active screen that uses a camera to make it look like there is no physical car behind you. No blind spots in the mirror as long as the system is working. They have put it on other cars, it'd just that this car will need it for my wife to feel comfortable driving it. She's borderline on the ND as it is. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/19/19 9:25 a.m.
Patrick said:

I think i’m in love. I haven’t wanted another corvette since my c4 bad enough to actually plan to buy one, but I think I know what i’m aiming for when done paying for the truck.  Of course I need to drive one to make sure, but damn that’s pretty

We can be corvette buddies and drive around and do Corvette things. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 9:33 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
Patrick said:

I think i’m in love. I haven’t wanted another corvette since my c4 bad enough to actually plan to buy one, but I think I know what i’m aiming for when done paying for the truck.  Of course I need to drive one to make sure, but damn that’s pretty

We can be corvette buddies and drive around and do Corvette things. 

berkeley yeah, I got the chest hair game down

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/19/19 9:33 a.m.

Dibs on the rear half of the first one torn in two in a horrific crash where the driver walks away unscathed.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/19/19 9:35 a.m.

Alright I've talked a lot of E36 M3 about GM in the past but, wow, they knocked it out of the park tech, styling, and price wise on this thing.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get into one.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
7/19/19 9:40 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

Dibs on the rear half of the first one torn in two in a horrific crash where the driver walks away unscathed.

"Corvetting" a car used to lead to back half damage.  I wonder if that will change with the rear engine layout?  Regardless, don't make any big plans, since you'll probably get priced out of the market.  Every hack car show on R & T channel will be fighting to be the first swap the running gear into an old 911. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/19/19 9:42 a.m.
kazoospec said:
ebonyandivory said:

"Corvetting" a car used to lead to back half damage.  I wonder if that will change with the rear engine layout?  Regardless, don't make any big plans, since you'll probably get priced out of the market.  Every hack car show on R & T channel will be fighting to be the first swap the running gear into an old 911. 

Oooo ooo does that mean we can potentially stuff the running gear into a FFR GTM natively now? Or an air cooled Beetle, an old Fiat 500. So many options to die in a spectacular fashion.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 9:48 a.m.

This thing definitely opens up a lot of options for mid-engined builds down the road. I predict a reverse rotation final drive so it can also be used in rear engined applications like sand rails.

The engine is tall, unfortunately. We'll have to see if the LT2 gets into the Camero to see if it'll fit under low hoods in other front engined applications.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
7/19/19 9:50 a.m.

So, what we have then, is the NSX Honda should have built. 

This thing, at under 60k, is epic.  at under 75k (which is where I expect one with the fancy diff and suspension will be)  is still a unbeliveable bargain.  Chevy is going to sell the hell out of these things.    

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/19 9:52 a.m.

So, I guess the Z06 or ZR1 version will have the DOHC motor they kept talking about putting into the car?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/19/19 9:53 a.m.

Countdown till the first C8 Vette Kart....

Cleetus, you watching?

Pete

Primaris
Primaris
7/19/19 9:53 a.m.

Yes! Finally a new Fiero! 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 9:55 a.m.
poopshovel again said:
Catatafish said:

Performance bargain of the century! Name a faster (new) car for the money, ill wait. 

...crickets....

Alfa Romeo 4C

Tesla Model 3 Performance

Challenger SRT392 / Scat Pack / Hellcat

Shelby GT350

BMW M2 and the M3/4 are close to the price

Audi RS3

Porsche 718 Boxster on a track probably

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/19/19 10:00 a.m.

In case you missed the live intro, here's our abridged version:

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
7/19/19 10:03 a.m.
Catatafish said:

Performance bargain of the century! Name a faster (new) car for the money, ill wait. 

Honestly, even the list of faster used cars is super short and depends on how we measure fast. I'm thinking a few Porsches, maybe some GT-R's... Am I missing any?

Overall, I don't love the exterior styling and I *really* don't love the row of buttons. I think the convertible is an improvement in terms of styling, which is a strange thing to say. The things that get me most excited are the very flat underbody and all the gorgeous aluminum castings.

Say what you will about mid-engine cars not being more expensive to produce, but what's the most powerful mid engine car available for $60k new? What's the cheapest mid-engine car with 500hp, or even 400?

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/19/19 10:04 a.m.

Everything but the interior pushes the right buttons for me, and somehow I could learn to live with that. wink What's really hard to get from the pictures is the sense of scale. American Muscle cars always look like the athlete who spends too much time in the gym. Right now, I'd take one of these over a Cayman, and that's saying something, because I love Caymans. But if it's too big, I'll retract that preference.  

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/19/19 10:21 a.m.
Javelin said:
poopshovel again said:
Catatafish said:

...crickets....

Alfa Romeo 4C

Tesla Model 3 Performance

Challenger SRT392 / Scat Pack / Hellcat

Shelby GT350

BMW M2 and the M3/4 are close to the price

Audi RS3

Porsche 718 Boxster on a track probably

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure none of these rip a sub-3-second 0-60. Not that that’s the only measure of performance, obviously. It’ll be interesting to see the real numbers.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 10:29 a.m.
white_fly said:
Catatafish said:

Honestly, even the list of faster used cars is super short and depends on how we measure fast. I'm thinking a few Porsches, maybe some GT-R's... Am I missing any?

Overall, I don't love the exterior styling and I *really* don't love the row of buttons. I think the convertible is an improvement in terms of styling, which is a strange thing to say. The things that get me most excited are the very flat underbody and all the gorgeous aluminum castings.

Say what you will about mid-engine cars not being more expensive to produce, but what's the most powerful mid engine car available for $60k new? What's the cheapest mid-engine car with 500hp, or even 400?

Do we know that the base Corvette will will have the full performance level? Or are we comparing a car that doesn't exist to other cars?

Turn the question around - why is nobody else making a $60k mid-engined car? There are a bunch of reasons why street cars aren't built that way normally, the packaging just sucks from a useability standpoint. GM has finally, after nearly a half century, decided that this is okay. "Most powerful mid engined car at $60k" is a very, very specific category.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 10:43 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Pretty sure Tesla's are the only things to 0-60 like that anyway. Performance is a broad term. The Scat Pack would destroy the C8 at the drag strip, the Boxster (hell the ND too) would out lap it at any technical track or autocross, and the Quattro's would win on wet surfaces. 

There's not a lot of mid engine at the price point (Alfa 4C, 718 Boxster/Cayman) and there's not a lot of 485 HP (Scat Pack, Shelby). It looks like a great performance bargain, which the Corvette always was.

Auto only makes it not for me though, but that's personal.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/19/19 10:50 a.m.
Tim Suddard said:

I like the way it looks. Dimensionally how does it compare to the last generation? Since 1968 I have thought the Corvette show be Triumph sized and not XXL!

Eeeek!  No!

The last thing we need is another little Miata-sized go-kart roller skate.  It's an American icon.  It should have some freaking PRESENCE!

Looks too small to me.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/19/19 11:02 a.m.

Two words: frunk mural. You heard it here first folks. Just wait til the airbrush guys get the template figured out.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YidCqlSXVI7eO7LLDat0fhaFMAi76peudZ72UIUbL1doH3BekMq7HgukhHDnTtaN