1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 12:07 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

How about the Chevrolet Classic, the fleet/rental car version of the Malibu. 

IIRC they just making it alongside the Opel-derived Malibu, so they learned a leason from Buick and decided NOT to keep the name.

I have seen private purchase Classics.

Sparkie
Sparkie New Reader
7/9/21 12:09 p.m.

I have an '04 BMW X3 3.0i with Sport pkg, and a 6 speed manual transmission, that's pretty rare for a "SAV"/SUV.

madmrak351
madmrak351
7/9/21 12:12 p.m.

Had a Cosworth Vega in hugger orange in the early 80s. Wife’s daily. The first child came along. It left to be replaced by a four door money pit: 530 BMW. Now I am beginning to think of S13 coupes as rare, lol.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/9/21 12:13 p.m.

I just remembered another: 

Sierra/Silverado RST from the early 2000's.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 12:15 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

I wouldn't call the Focus RS a unicorn version... it's mostly the same as a regular Focus hatch, and it seems like RSs outnumber STs on the roads two to one.

Now, a unicorn Focus...

I have seen exactly one of these.  It was so unusual I took a pic to show off the "Euro spec Focus" that I saw on the road.

(trying to steer thread back to the concept of "unicorn normal cars" and not special editions)

johndej
johndej Dork
7/9/21 12:23 p.m.

Dodge Spirit R/T

Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo

Toyota Corolla XRS

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
7/9/21 12:56 p.m.

Cobalt SS/TC. I loved mine and would love another if I had room for it. (This one isn't mine but I had a white sedan too)

karussell
karussell New Reader
7/9/21 1:24 p.m.

Hyundai Tiburon Special - Only 500 cars were produced for WRC homologation purpose, with aluminum body panels.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/9/21 1:57 p.m.

How about a Toyota Matrix XRS, basically a Celica GT-S in a tall wagon, six-speed and all? 

David S. Wallens
7/9/21 1:59 p.m.

And sort of related: Honda Element SC

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 2:03 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I wish those were actually Supercharged, but I did like the updated styling over the other versions.

That said, Honda pulled off the "body cladding" look soooo much better than GM ever did.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/9/21 2:06 p.m.
karussell said:

Hyundai Tiburon Special - Only 500 cars were produced for WRC homologation purpose, with aluminum body panels.

This is an obscure reference. We'll done!   Is your name Bob? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/9/21 2:07 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:
David S. Wallens said:

I wish those were actually Supercharged, but I did like the updated styling over the other versions.

That said, Honda pulled off the "body cladding" look soooo much better than GM ever did.

I had a friend who owned a couple of these. They had two problems: Not enough power and not enough gears/ 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/9/21 2:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Can't remember the last time I saw a regular front-drive, Toyota-built Nova, but back in the day, it was popular car at school--several friends drove them. 

So how about the Twin Cam Nova? 

This.  This wins the thread.  I didn't even know this was a thing.  Just swap in a 4AGZE supercharged import.  

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 2:17 p.m.

Subaru Baja, especially in Turbo trim.

The Toyota rebadge Mazda2 sedan is fun.

Fox body Cougar convertible is a rare cat.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/21 2:17 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Cooter :

The "special bodied" cars really are special. How about two from Volvo and Bertone:

Volvo 780 coupe

I just posted about seeing one of those in the Unicorn thread. Was sitting at my local grocery store when I walked by.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 2:19 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:
David S. Wallens said:

I had a friend who owned a couple of these. They had two problems: Not enough power and not enough gears/ 

I think they came with a 5-speed manual.  Then again few people likely opted for them and were more likely stuck with a 4-speed auto, which always sucks when paired with an engine that is too underpowered (156-166bhp)

They are K24  powered, so there's lots of room for improvement with the amount of knowledge available on those engines now.

The optional AWD didn't help either since that just added weight they didn't need.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/21 2:21 p.m.

Someone mentioned it already, but having owned a Buick Grand National I've always thought about getting an 89 TTA.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/21 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

But alas, SC stands for single color

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/9/21 2:25 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

I've always had a thing for the Mk IV R32.  

With bit over 10K built and almost half sent to the US, it's not quite a "unicorn" although it was a one-year only car. The "last-hurrah" for the Mk IV chassis Golf.  Love it or hate it, the Mk IV did set a standard for base level cars that rippled through the industry to this day - mainly in the interior.  

I'll have one in blue, please. (clipped from a BaT auction listing that sold for $62K - surprise ):

My good friend and next door neighbor has had an 04 since 06. I love that car out of all proportion with its ability. I honestly would have bought one when I got my Volvo C30 if I hadn't worked for Ford at the time (Ford still owned Volvo then so I was still in company). I've never understood people's dislike of the VR6 engine, it drives excellently and sounds wonderful. Real world usage and on road performance (Michigan, err roads) the R32 was light years ahead  of the WRX, STi, and Evo. 

David S. Wallens
7/9/21 2:26 p.m.

Glad to see everyone enjoying the thread. One more to discuss: Toyota Previa minivan with a stick shift. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/21 2:28 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

But you could not get the supercharged AWD space egg with the manual from the factory. 

David S. Wallens
7/9/21 2:30 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

But alas, SC stands for single color

Technically it stood for Street Custom but I like that. :)

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
7/9/21 2:30 p.m.

A few that I like for no particularly good reason...

Oldsmobile Achieva SCX, with bonus for surprisingly good interior. Quad4 HO with a manual trans:

Lumina Z34, which could be had with a 5 speed manual:

and one that I own, a 2000 Tahoe Limited. Bilsteins, better brakes and springs from the police package truck, body kit, blacked out trim, interior upgrades (with heated seats!), and all the powertrain coolers, with no pesky speed limiter.  Stock picture aside from chromed factory wheels:

Mine:

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/9/21 2:31 p.m.

This thing:  Chevy HHR Panel SS

Platform mate to the Cobalt SS, I don't think i've ever seen one in person.  I owned a 1LT HHR,  the lack of windows don't matter, you couldn't see out of the thing anyway..laugh 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bTLwhsjkLgaBIi5jBHPIHcEOvzZ3C0djBfLOu6ODosGphTP74WZbSi7TsLKPOpv2