bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
3/1/24 6:10 p.m.

Engine going in...

drock25too
drock25too GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/1/24 6:14 p.m.

In reply to BenB :

Thanks, I 'll check it out.  These look good, but they may be too old. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/1/24 7:34 p.m.

In reply to bludroptop :

We have some similar thoughts....This photo is not really related to our contest, but does relate above.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/1/24 7:38 p.m.

And now back on track, some progress. If only it was this easy to make full scale headers. Engine will go in and out with them on if the subframe is not in. Steering column will go outboard of the front left pipe, and inboard of the other 3.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/3/24 7:52 a.m.

Well, it's done. Not one of my more successful builds despite a fairly easy kit. Paint challenges (two cans went in the trash). The garage heater decided to kick on the fan just as I started the body color, so it's got dust nibs here and there. My Zap glue must be getting old as it takes minutes to set up instead of seconds, which is why the (not shown) front clip fits like garbage on the passenger side. Decals were a PITA. It will look okay in the display case though. 

Build/review video to come.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/24 8:26 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Nice!

There was a kid at my high school with a Grabber Blue '69 Mach 1. That color works so well on that body style.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/3/24 8:46 a.m.

We have primary tubes. I'll probably shorten them a lot unless there's more ground clearance than I expect. There is vertical room forward for conventional 4-1 square collectors. Underneath not so much. Now it is time to "fix" the cylinder heads. They lacked the bosses for the header flanges, they will now be addative sculpted onto the header tubes with Miliput epoxy putty. The tubes are not as inserted into the heads as far as hoped, L3 got loose coming out of the bay.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/24 9:10 a.m.

berkeley you guys that have lifts and gantries for your model cars. I don't even have real ones. Haha.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
3/3/24 9:40 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

That turned out great! I need to get one of those kits.

No pics, but I finally got some primer on the Camaro and found some new wheels for it. Been distracted by a 1/48 F-4.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/3/24 10:10 a.m.

In reply to BenB :

Funny distraction. About a year ago I decided my slot car track needed an aircraft looking for emergency touchdown. Last time I made a static airplane was about 1968, so nothing good enough in the completed stash...I tried airbrush camo for the first time too. 1/48 Fiat CR32 with no fuel? 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/3/24 10:11 a.m.

Damn I should photo shop the threads out of that pic....

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/3/24 11:41 a.m.

Body now in primer.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/3/24 4:14 p.m.

After a week of sanding and filing, priming, sanding and filing I think the MPC body is a good as its gonna get.  Since I have no idea what I'm doing I figured why not ass a two tone with the white roof so I have something else I can screw up lol.  Next I want to learn how to use a air brush.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/3/24 4:16 p.m.
ddavidv said:

Well, it's done. Not one of my more successful builds despite a fairly easy kit. Paint challenges (two cans went in the trash). The garage heater decided to kick on the fan just as I started the body color, so it's got dust nibs here and there. My Zap glue must be getting old as it takes minutes to set up instead of seconds, which is why the (not shown) front clip fits like garbage on the passenger side. Decals were a PITA. It will look okay in the display case though. 

Build/review video to come.

That looks incredible!  Cool car, right color, right stripe kit and you did a kick ass job of building it.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/3/24 6:07 p.m.

Chassis is pretty much done.  I had a hard time mounting the engine straight and that's when I realized the frame is super twisted.  That's why I have a toothpick under the oil pan, till the glue dries on my makeshift driver's engine mount.   If the car looks twisted when it's done I'm gonna build a lil display with it doing a wheelie so the twist looks right.  I have three coats of blue on the body, I'll see how it looks when it dries.  I'm guessing I can wet sand it out to like 3000 to make it smooth but I don't know if the Tamiya clear coat will give it a shine?  I'm just doing a basic black interior with a body color dash, I don't like how the seats are molded to try to split a two tone interior,  the lines won't match the paint lines.  I think the hardest part is going to be painting all of the Bel Air trim chrome without making a mess.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/3/24 6:40 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

The Tamiya clear will shine very well. Any texture I get polishes easily with wet 2000 followed by 3M "Perfectit" compound and soft cloth. Shoot the clear dry and dusty at the color break. It is hot enough to make them blend at the mask line. 

solfly
solfly SuperDork
3/4/24 5:23 a.m.

Finally started!

solfly
solfly SuperDork
3/4/24 11:41 a.m.

Pic stolen from eBay but I'm not sure what they were going for on the engine here? Might have to find a more traditional air cleaner from my parts bin when I get to that point.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/4/24 11:55 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

Oh that would work well on a plow truck.(S)  That is Rochester fuel injection. 

solfly
solfly SuperDork
3/4/24 12:01 p.m.

that is definitely going in the trash

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/4/24 12:05 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

If those parts are in your version of the kit keep them in the parts box for the day when you want to build an early  Corvette race car. They look pretty accurate.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
3/4/24 4:34 p.m.

Got the base coat on the Bitchin Camaro. Next I'll hit it with Tamiya Racing Blue so it will look like the spoon.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/4/24 8:43 p.m.

Getting ready to try my hand at a two tone.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/5/24 5:49 p.m.

Found some low spots and dimples. Slow going around here.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
3/5/24 7:00 p.m.

Got the blue paint on. I masked a strip of silver around the lower part and I'll add a thin black strip to it, too.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JuYpFbuidNEz7UHNuNk0eBaP9vCxoOYBBmSqr8j5mhTlgpzMBjraqQsdkOzUyzdx