1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/5/24 8:54 p.m.

Gotta find a way to paint chrome body lines on smoother but I'm learning.   I tried wiping some silver paint and thinner on spots to try to make the paint look a lil weathered in spots, it worked pretty well.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/5/24 9:37 p.m.

This is my first attempt.   Since my skill level didn't allow me clean lines for chrome trim I decided to try to age it and make primer spots and wear the paint thin in a few spots.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
3/5/24 10:33 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

That looks great! Nice work.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/5/24 10:58 p.m.

Damn, if that is a first try the contest scene is in trouble in about 2 years .  No more tips for you...Seriously the execution is on point. Tire trick, spin sand the treads before you mount them. Sometimes I will paint the tread an appropriate dirt color and then sand them, like on a sprint  car. Most first timers try to make a show car, but you already figured out what I do if a show car goes wrong.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/6/24 7:12 a.m.

Running tape along the moldings can help prevent 'oops' moments with a brush. I have some chrome paint markers that are a little easier to manage than brushes. With cars that have lots of chrome like 1950s stuff, Bare Metal Foil is really the solution. There's a learning curve, and it is time consuming, but the stuff looks really good.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
3/6/24 8:30 a.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Wow, that turned out great! Well done!

Bare Metal Foil is great, but takes a lot of work. I once covered a Monogram Apollo Command Module with it. Never again! Some folks use it for masking, too.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/6/24 10:01 a.m.

Thanks guys.  I have some of the metal foil I'm gonna try on the next one.  I have learned a few things on this one that should definitely help with the next one.  I'm gonna start on the next one tonight.  I've learned to pre fit parts pre paint or glue in case they need a lil work, keep paint away from glue joints until after it sets, putting a little paint out to dry and thicken a bit can help when working with solvent heavy colors such as white and orange.   I cut apart a old wiring harness for high speed can wires because they look just about the right size to make spark plug wires with.  I think they may be a new addiction, I had a lot of fun and I think I can do better.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/6/24 10:33 a.m.

Im gonna check this out.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/6/24 3:50 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Hooked! Welcome aboard. Go to the show. Limit how much $$ you bring, the vendors will amaze you. Walk all the vendors before you open your wallet, prices for kits are wildly variable between them. You are on point using any scraps you find for detail parts, but some purchasable things like brake calipers are too easy to pass up. Photo etch stuff too. Miniature Ferrari scripts in many scales etc.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/8/24 8:33 p.m.

El-prup!

To match the body color. Yes, purple. I asked the wife half jokingly what color to paint the car. This was her reply.

Should I make the transmission aluminum instead of engine color?

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/9/24 7:14 a.m.

The more variety in colors, they more appealing the model will be. On my Mustang I painted the bellhousing aluminum, the case steel, and the block Ford blue. Sometimes I make the water pumps aluminum along with the intake. Manifolds steel. And so on.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/9/24 9:31 a.m.

Go all the way, give it an aluminum bell housing and cylinder heads. Iron case gearbox leave purple

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
3/9/24 3:26 p.m.

You guys have inspired me to get going on this build:

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/9/24 11:25 p.m.

In reply to eastpark :

That is one of the finest kits ever regarding ease of assembly combined with superb detail. After you build one stock there are so many other possibilities too.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/10/24 6:03 p.m.

The 55 chevy is almost done.  I'm waiting on clear to dry a few days before I go at the finishing work.

So today i.learned how to apply bare metal foil and im gonna do all the trim on the chevy instead of painting it.  I picked up a 31 Ford to use as a test bed for the foil and holy crap its a game changer.  Love the qay it looks. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/11/24 7:33 a.m.

I cut mine with a razor blade. Oversize for whatever I'm covering. Apply, then trim the edges to fit. I really fresh Xacto blade also works but the blades are thicker which seems to make the final cuts a bit more difficult.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/12/24 9:54 p.m.

Honest. I'm making progress.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/12/24 10:14 p.m.

Your rate is faster than mine right now. I keep painting other things and prepping slot cars instead of doing the detail work scheduled next for the "Ford Econobox".

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/16/24 8:45 p.m.

So I got the green and white chevy paint finalized,  Judy gotta do the bare metal on the trim.  In the meantime I am building another one to try out the foil on and try to see if I can add some detail.  Ita a Nova that I made a basic engine wiring harness for (starter, temp sender, oil pressure sender, and alternator)  I made a fuel log with a little  "gauge" on it out of some blue wire to look like AN fuel line and chrome parts tree chunks I cut up to glue together so it looked like a rail.  I made basic throttle linkage and brake lines out of solder.  I metal foiled the headers, frame, and diff cover to get some practice.  I also added a sump to the gas tank out of spare parts and made a fuel line from the tank out of a red guitar string.  I actually like the way the guitar string looks.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
3/17/24 12:08 p.m.
RonnieFnD said:

This is my first attempt.   Since my skill level didn't allow me clean lines for chrome trim I decided to try to age it and make primer spots and wear the paint thin in a few spots.

I saw this picture elsewhere this morning and thought, hmm that looks familiar! laugh

BenB
BenB HalfDork
3/17/24 12:22 p.m.

Excellent work, guys!

Got the clear coat on and decided on a grey interior, since I already had that color sitting out. I just have to mask and paint the rest of the black parts on the body and cockpit, plus a few things on the chassis. I added some new wheels, brakes, & tires from Texas 3D Customs.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
3/17/24 12:29 p.m.

The truck is pretty much done, just a few minor details to finish.  I'm working on the snowplow now and it's a bit fiddly compared to building the truck.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/17/24 1:33 p.m.

I need to work on the model...

solfly
solfly SuperDork
3/17/24 3:20 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I need to work on the model...

Ditto

Claff
Claff HalfDork
3/17/24 9:51 p.m.

So I just found this thread today. Do I dare try a two-week thrash when I really should be thinking about real cars?

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KyhMUR1vEqu794WQmRd8XFKl2ZX6RFKxnodxXMPNEzJSciBk8JP8C0h13v4GYsJ4