3/18/24 7:42 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

Go for it!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/18/24 10:02 a.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Looking good, Ronnie!

If I may make a suggestion for the interior parts:  Paint them with flat / matte paint.  After they are good and dry, just handle them a little, rub them lightly with your fingers.  That will put a little skin oil on them to add just a bit of gloss to the highlights.

I need to get back into this.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
3/18/24 2:10 p.m.

Getting there, but wow, some of the parts sure are small. The kit is really nice though. 

BenB
BenB HalfDork
3/18/24 7:11 p.m.

Got the black parts painted and finished the cockpit. Just have to take care of the lights and windows.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/18/24 8:51 p.m.

In reply to eastpark :

Tiny parts you say...I don't know if you were onboard during our covid build threads. These two kits were both done then, the Caterham in 1/24 based on the same kit as yours, and a Lancia 037 in 1/43, a white metal Racing43 kit I bought in Bolonga around 1995. Note the kit provided plug wires on the Lancia! Lots of tweezer work, but not as hard as I was expecting.

Now I need to go work on the Ford Econobox.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/19/24 10:26 p.m.

She said purple 

Going to need a bit of sanding. Dust in the finish. Thanks dogs.

I think a white interior will work best.

Need to strip some chrome next.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
3/20/24 7:34 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I think I'd go blind if I attempted a 1/43 scale. :-)

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/20/24 8:25 a.m.

1/43 build I did in another 'contest' a few years ago. Thanks, BTW, to whoever sent me this. It was fun, but man was I glad when it was finished, LOL.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/20/24 10:28 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

That one came from me. I have more if anyone else wants to try. I'd like to see more pics of this one, it looks like the Herbie Hancock car, the only early Cobra still in the original owner's hands.

Claff
Claff HalfDork
3/20/24 10:52 a.m.

OK I'm in with less than two weeks before deadline. The original plan was to do that awful AMT Pinto I got a couple years ago. Then I remembered that the chassis pan is pretty tweaked:

I whipped out the heat gun and managed to only make it worse, so I took that as a sign that I should abandon this junk kit and find something else equally as simple. Most of the kits in my stash are NASCAR cars that don't take kindly to being thrown together quickly, but then I found this hiding in a corner.

This super-simple kit should be right up my alley for a quickie. Practically no chassis detail, simple small block Chevy, and a two-piece body should go together quickly. I thought I had at least started painting stuff when I first got it 20? 25? years ago but nope, I'm starting from zero here. Thinking a sinister black body with a gray interior for contrast, building it box stock.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/20/24 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Claff :

In my neighborhood those ElCaminos were always black. I'm bored with black. All the large local Menonite population have black/black/black. I have never seen a red one. All the other OG colors I have seen in at least one example when they were new. I've seen the model built and it usually looks very good. 

BenB
BenB HalfDork
3/20/24 7:11 p.m.

Calling this one finished, although I may go back and paint the black lines on the brake lights. Not a bad kit for what was basically a snap tite kit.

BTW, am I the only one who sees the "Unfinished Kit Cars For Sale" thread and my brain rearranges it to "Unfinished Car Kits For Sale" every time I see it on the forum?

Claff
Claff HalfDork
3/20/24 9:58 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Claff :

In my neighborhood those ElCaminos were always black. I'm bored with black. All the large local Menonite population have black/black/black. I have never seen a red one. All the other OG colors I have seen in at least one example when they were new. I've seen the model built and it usually looks very good. 

I debated between basic black and basic red but the decision was pretty much made for me since I don't have a can of red spray paint on hand here.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/20/24 10:03 p.m.
BenB said:

Calling this one finished, although I may go back and paint the black lines on the brake lights. Not a bad kit for what was basically a snap tite kit.

BTW, am I the only one who sees the "Unfinished Kit Cars For Sale" thread and my brain rearranges it to "Unfinished Car Kits For Sale" every time I see it on the forum?

If that was running and driving, I'd have a hard time not trying to convince my wife we need a 4th car.

Hawt!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/20/24 10:40 p.m.

In reply to BenB :

I don't discrimanate based on scale. I cannot tell the difference in your title comparo!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/20/24 10:42 p.m.

In reply to BenB :

Colors and stance are perfect on the Camaro. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/21/24 7:27 a.m.

Those wheels make that F body. yes

BenB
BenB HalfDork
3/21/24 8:01 a.m.

Thanks, guys! I was inspired by DSE's LS-powered car.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
3/21/24 3:14 p.m.

I finished up the Seven, really nice kit:

I had some "help" with the spare tire though:

My helper:

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/21/24 4:13 p.m.
BenB said:

That looks awesome with those wheels.  I'm hoping to finish up mine Saturday night.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
3/21/24 6:48 p.m.

In reply to eastpark :

Love the Lotus! I have a helper like yours. A couple of weeks ago she somehow got ahold of a 1/48 ejection seat.

@RonnieFnD , thanks! I've since gone back and painted the black frames in the brake lights. Looks a lot better.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/21/24 7:37 p.m.

Working on the chrome trim.  Tedious but is starting to look real. 

Claff
Claff HalfDork
3/21/24 10:57 p.m.

I've got an engine done, and not much else. On the other hand, there isn't that much else to this El Camino. I shot the interior with gray primer, but it was a bit darker than I wanted so I shot it with some gloss gray, and I don't think it's that much different. In typical Claff fashion I'm leaving bodywork until the last thing, even though the body only has one serious mold seam on each side. I shot semi-gloss black on the body underside and with a little overenthusiasm to get the rear wheel wells covered and some bad aim, I put a pretty good size run down one of the rear quarters. So I have to wait for that to set up a bit more before addressing that, but other than that it shouldn't take much to make the body black.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/23/24 3:37 p.m.
eastpark said:

I finished up the Seven, really nice kit:

I had some "help" with the spare tire though:

My helper:

That looks amazing.   What process did you use to get the glass smooth paint like that?

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/23/24 7:09 p.m.

So I'm learning a lot while using the bare metal.  It started out pretty rough but I'm figuring out how to get it to lay smooth.   So I've learned you can't change your blade enough because the metal beats them up quick.  Where I went really wrong was peeling back the excess on the white and scuffed the paint up so that has me asking two questions.   Should I try to buff this since it's painted with base/clear or should I try to spray touch up?  Second is what is the best way to separate the excess bare metal without scratching the paint up?  Thanks in advance for your help, you guys got me hooked on a new hobby.  

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xec1eqGaM9qJGZ3UoYH3rR78wi24ZEkI7fxRBCN48rqU23YrBRsaZCUs24OPEqSG