MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/27/24 10:52 p.m.

My son's TT got smushed in traffic a few days ago. Fortunately he and his sister are OK, and it's not his fault.

Poor TT. 😟

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/27/24 10:54 p.m.

Ow and, yeah, glad all are okay. The car can be easily replaced.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
6/27/24 10:58 p.m.

Glad they are ok and were in a modern car with modern safety systems and structure.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/27/24 11:04 p.m.

After a loong day/night in the emergency room the insurance fun started including getting a rental car.  I've been considering an electric for a work car so Y not?

Initial thoughts: after a bit of adjustment the throttle means gooooo-no throttle means stop becomes intuitive.

Holy crap it's fast.

The internet says it's loud and crashy-its better than an '03 4runner.

I'm enjoying it. 

spandak
spandak Dork
6/27/24 11:31 p.m.

I do find them crashy. My boss has a Model 3 that rides like garbage. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/27/24 11:49 p.m.
spandak said:

I do find them crashy. My boss has a Model 3 that rides like garbage. 

Of my recently driven/fleet rated for all around comfortable vehicle to drive 100 miles around North Central Florida in a day:

'22 Y > '03 4runner > '03 Vibe GT on springs/shocks/wheels/tires >'12 WRX > '00 TT on Bilstein shocks/springs wheels/tires > '03 Spyder

spandak
spandak Dork
6/28/24 12:23 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

To be fair, I haven't been in a Y so it might be better. 
And my daily is a Boxster which is pretty dang good in terms of ride. 

Horses for courses

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/28/24 12:49 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

Yeah-I'm comparing a lot of old stuff to something relatively new so im not really apples to apples in this comparison. That 's good to hear about the boxter-I've read/heard Porsche can do a  good job of managing comfort and performance at the same time. It reminds me of my former E46-despite having sporting pretenses and being on lowering springs it would have done well against all the vehicles I mentioned. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/28/24 7:27 a.m.

I am glad that you family is ok!  

Poor TT.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/28/24 7:45 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Glad the family is all okay.  Sorry to hear of the TT's demise.  

With that said, just for clarification, are you saying the Tesla Y is your current rental car?  Is you rental car a '22 model year?  Or, did you buy a used '22 model year Tesla Y?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/28/24 8:13 a.m.

I enjoyed my rental model 3. I didn't find it crashy at all. I've been tempted by a model Y as one of the few non-truck EVs that have a real tow rating. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/28/24 8:19 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thank you. I am incredibly thankful the kids are ok. The '22 Model Y is a rental from Hertz. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/28/24 12:02 p.m.

Really glad your kids are ok.

Does this mean we'll see a TT Challenge kart next year?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/28/24 5:59 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Lol-probably not from me.  I'm probably in helping someone else build a challenge car mode this year.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/2/24 9:55 p.m.

So the estimate to repair the TT was over 16k. I'd say it's totalled! surprise

The model Y experiment has been interesting.

• I'm enjoying driving it-goosing it to pass, turn into busy traffic, and just goooo on traction limited dirt roads is a blast.
  • Figuring out how the "autosteer" thinks and how fast it's willing to go on curvy roads is amusing.
  • There's a LOT of glass (including a glass roof). I keep the sunroof shade closed on the 4Runner because I don't like bright light in my peripheral vision, so having the entire roof glass without an option to cover it is not in my comfort zone. It gets warm even with the factory roof tint and the cabin temp control (controls temp when parked) set at the lowest temp (90).
  • My job, current range anxiety, and lack of charging at home pretty much means I need to charge every day. A bad for battery health full charge claims it has 284 miles range. Me enjoying a new fast car puts me more in the 230 mile range. If I get two busy days in a row I am pushing that 230 miles. Combine that with the fact that the closest superchargers are in the opposite direction of where I pile up the miles- I'm not comfortable trying to get two days in one charge. It is an easily solved problem if I could charge at home-and might just barely be solved if the rental came with 19" wheels.

I might contact the rental company and see if I can trade the Y for a 3. I'm not sure it will have adequate ground clearance for the roads I drive on-and it definitely will not tow enough to replace the 4 runner, but I wouldn't mind trying one to see if keeping 2 vehicles that do each thing better is a viable option.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/24 9:03 a.m.

A guy at work has a Y and has "downsized" to smaller diameter wheels for a softer, smoother ride. He said that it was night and day. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/24 10:10 a.m.

Sorry to hear about the TT. They're cool.

FYI, ground clearance for the 3 is 5.4" vs 6.8" for the Y. It would be interesting if you could get the 2024 3 on the new platform, there's supposed to be a fairly big improvement in the suspension although the huge wheels will mess with you a bit.

If you owned the car, you can get inexpensive shades for the roof. We run them in the summer. Learn to turn on the AC with the app before you head out to the car and you won't be concerned about the interior temps. AC doesn't really take much power.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/3/24 12:50 p.m.

Why doesn't Tesla have a roof shade like Porsche and other makes? Seems like it would reduce energy usage and make it quieter as well! Probably just a dollars and cents + simplicity thing. It's an oversight imho. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/24 1:03 p.m.

In reply to grover :

Possibly because it reduces energy use in the winter - heat seems to be more expensive than cooling, certainly in the non-heat pump cars. And the 3/Y are designed to minimize build and parts cost, and a big retracting shade with all the associated mechanisms and tracks is expensive. Remember that the cheapest Taycan is roughly 3x the cost of the cheapest 3. Porsche has a cool design that can make sections of the roof opaque or transparent, but it's a nearly $5k option.

My mom's VW Sportwagen has a motorized roller shade for the panoramic roof. They're known for being problematic and repair parts are in the hundreds of dollars range. A common fix is to tint the roof, which is basically what the stock Tesla solution is.

You can get various options on the aftermarket from mesh to multi-layer designs with reflective top surfaces for $40-50.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DVQZUcF5SsFxj80d33XblFHapeXT9Enz9zXeLHDg3kV56CT5eNsrV1ORCqLCCUSN