1 2 3
Cactus
Cactus Reader
11/10/16 1:38 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
Another choice that I would still be proud to be seen in... The original, black '88 M5.
Hmm. You're on to something there..

Shush, quit talking about it. You don't want people to want those and drive the value up, do you?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/10/16 1:44 p.m.

You mean like the one that just went for $50k? Too late..

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
11/10/16 1:46 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I'm starting to feel the urge to create a hashtag for the 911 contingent on GRM, but i feel like the urge is quite 'bro'-ey so i'm resisting it for now.

I thought about starting a "Show your 911" thread, since we have quite a few owners now....or maybe a more general "show your Porsche" thread.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
11/10/16 2:13 p.m.
Vigo wrote: You mean like the one that just went for $50k? Too late..

Good thing I got one when I did. I thought I paid too much.

Love the turbovan, btw.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/10/16 2:23 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Well, I didn't exactly choose it, but I am probably closer than most people on this board. My daily driver will break 600K this year. I fully expect it to go well past 1,000,000 on the stock, unmolested, never rebuilt engine. Since I am a big fan of low maintenance, I guess I have to put in a vote for my dd. My repairs are pretty much limited to oil changes and tire rotation. Though it's not necessarily fun to drive, it's rock solid dependability makes me vote for the Ford F-250 Super Duty with a 7.3L diesel.

My '01 is at 270k and with the prices of new trucks I'm seriously thinking of fixing the rust (or doing a re-body) and driving it forever.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/16 2:24 p.m.

To me, that would be a lot of highway miles. I want comfort, speed, an automatic and something that I would truly enjoy driving. Pick your big, stupidly overpowered, German super sedan or coupe.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
11/10/16 4:40 p.m.

Someone on the benz forum talked to a lady driving a 72 or 73 450sl and it had over 800k miles, it might go for the mil. It doesn't sound like a fun way to spend your life though.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
11/10/16 4:41 p.m.

That's a lot of miles. I want something that will do that many miles with a minimum of fuss. Good fuel economy. Comfortable seats. A fair balance of handling and ride comfort.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/10/16 5:22 p.m.

Assuming I don't want to rebuild everything between the drive wheels and crank pulley more than once, W126 300SD, or maybe a LS400.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/10/16 5:54 p.m.

Exocet with a BPT and Paco long travel suspension.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/10/16 6:10 p.m.

Would have to be something that I enjoy driving....so all SUVs and trucks are out....FWD is out....automatic transmissions are out. Would have to have a good aftermarket and be capable of hauling gear or doing a track day. Would have to have readily-available spares and/or good internet forum support if I'm out in BFE and need a part.

In a perfect world, I would have no problem driving my (09) WRX like that. 140k miles and I still love driving the car and it's been virtually trouble-free. good at the track, good on the dirt roads, good in the snow.

I would also say I'd do an e30 touring (wagon) with an engine swapped in that has good reliability, power and fuel mileage (and spares). Maybe an LS of some sort. Fast, space, aftermarket, looks good, and would get good fuel economy. Pretty robust but simple enough to work on anywhere. My e30 is 30+ years old and I enjoy driving it, even all stripped down for rally.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
11/10/16 7:29 p.m.

First thing that came to mind was a 911 Turbo PDK.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
11/10/16 7:36 p.m.

Ferrari F40.

I've driven a lot of miles so far. There is no way I could even begin to add them up but I'm betting well over halfway to a million. Of course that is spread over thirty or so vehicles since I began driving.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
11/10/16 9:24 p.m.

57 years of driving, ~800K miles, and ~30 different cars/trucks. If I had to pick one of them to do all those miles, I would choose my my current DD, a 2015 Subaru Outback. But I would probably want the 3.6L engine rather than the 2.5 to do all those highway miles.

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
11/10/16 9:53 p.m.

Not to thread-jack, but has anyone heard anything recently about Matt Farah's Lexus LS400? Its got to be nearing the magical number soon.

While the idea of maintaining a car to last that long sounds great, I just can't imagine spending that much time in a car. If I had to do it though, it would be in an LS400 or LS430 because it would be the least eventful. 2nd would be a pre-964 911.

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
11/10/16 11:30 p.m.

If I actually had to drive enough to get to that mileage, while I love driving a manual, I'd have to say this:

Maybe a '90 Town Car with a T5 conversion would be the ticket.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/16 12:33 a.m.

I've done far more than a million. I bought a new Western Star with a 550 cat in 1998 and I sold it 5 years later with almost 700,000 miles on it. I did similar mileage on three previous trucks. My ass never hurt like it does getting out of my new Dodge Laramie.

Good times. Or wait....were they? E36 M3 I don't remember. I wonder if I can still shift an 18 speed on an 8 per cent grade with a 140,000 pound gross. Be fun to try.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
11/11/16 8:22 a.m.

I'd drive my Cayman.

D2W
D2W Reader
11/11/16 11:51 a.m.

The last time I heard which was in 2015 Ralph Button has driven his 1997 Factory Five Cobra over 600,000 miles

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
11/11/16 12:15 p.m.
asoduk wrote: Not to thread-jack, but has anyone heard anything recently about Matt Farah's Lexus LS400? Its got to be nearing the magical number soon. While the idea of maintaining a car to last that long sounds great, I just can't imagine spending that much time in a car. If I had to do it though, it would be in an LS400 or LS430 because it would be the least eventful. 2nd would be a pre-964 911.

He talked about it being in the shop for something during the last podcast.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/16 12:16 p.m.
D2W wrote: The last time I heard which was in 2015 Ralph Button has driven his 1997 Factory Five Cobra over 600,000 miles

I am assuming that he's deaf in at least his left ear, and has no hair on his head either.

D2W
D2W Reader
11/11/16 4:33 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
D2W wrote: The last time I heard which was in 2015 Ralph Button has driven his 1997 Factory Five Cobra over 600,000 miles
I am assuming that he's deaf in at least his left ear, and has no hair on his head either.

Probably deaf, but last picture I saw he still had hair. Either way he is a die hard.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/16 5:14 p.m.
tjbell wrote: Saab 9000 Aero. Might not be the most common choice due to parts availability but they are super comfortable, can make easy power, and are stupid reliable

I did almost 500k of seat time in various 9000s. Awesome seats and overall good ergonomics for an early-mid 80s design, plus great midrange torque. I want another one!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/16 5:38 p.m.
APEowner wrote:
SVreX wrote: Well, I didn't exactly choose it, but I am probably closer than most people on this board. My daily driver will break 600K this year. I fully expect it to go well past 1,000,000 on the stock, unmolested, never rebuilt engine. Since I am a big fan of low maintenance, I guess I have to put in a vote for my dd. My repairs are pretty much limited to oil changes and tire rotation. Though it's not necessarily fun to drive, it's rock solid dependability makes me vote for the Ford F-250 Super Duty with a 7.3L diesel.
My '01 is at 270k and with the prices of new trucks I'm seriously thinking of fixing the rust (or doing a re-body) and driving it forever.

Da Boss just dropped a number that I happily forgot about into having the fenders, tailgate, rockers, and cab corners replaced on his truck for just this reason too.

Mind you, it's a 4.8 Sierra, probably the third most replaceable truck ever (first and second would be V6 and 2wd models) but it's still more financially sound to pay a GOOD body guy to fix a truck than to buy another one. And it has what I hope is piston slap that my paranoia says started happening when I borrowed it to tow a car one time It's not bad and it's not getting worse but it makes me uneasy, and I really don't feel like replacing the engine in it.

I say GOOD because I've seen a lot of bad bodywork. Like whoever slapped panels over the rust on the '94 he used to have.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
11/13/16 1:18 a.m.

I'd gladly drive my FD RX7 for 1 million miles

It was my only car and my DD for quite a few years. So much fun to drive and very pretty to look at. Also, much more reliable than any of the e36 BMW, A4 Audi or VW junk I had previously.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
06xvmBhbVfWUhdYVvvcsbCp1YozORwSBNkGudNog8nxeEaKrTOjsCLiDypxWr0pu